Achievers

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Achievers.

Interview Details – Phone interview, covering basics.
Then an in-person technical interview with a manager and team lead. Some basic whiteboarding and technical examples covering front end and back end development. Nothing too difficult, and they were very general, seemed to look at how you solved problems not did you memorize APIs.
Then a very in depth interview with HR and a manager, covering every item on your resume in detail, going back to high school. This one took hours.
Try to treat it as a conversation, and reflect ahead of time about what you liked, disliked and wish you had done differently at each place.
They just want to see that you were always trying to do better than where you were, and tried to improve things, and always wish you had done more.

Interview Question – How easy the hours-long interview was. They made it sound like it would be a painful exploration of my pysche. It was really just a very long conversation about my life.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Achievers

Interview Details – I was brought in for a skills interview, that while tough, was fair and thorough, The interviewers were patient in letting me understand the questions before answering them. This was followed by a topgrade, which I had never done before. They asked questions about the different jobs, challenges and successes that I had been a part of in the past. Different, but not unpleasant.

Interview Question – The entire topgrade was very unexpected. Expect to be asked about your past, all the way back to high school!   Answer Question

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Achievers in May 2011.

Interview Details – The initial phone interview just covered the work experience that I mentioned on my resume and in my cover letter.

They then had me go to Toronto for an in-person interview. It was fairly straightforward; they asked me a couple questions about my work experience, a couple time management questions, and some very simple SQL questions.

Finally, they had me go to Toronto again for an in-depth HR interview. I forget what it was called, but it involved going through everything on my resume from high school onwards, and asking in depth questions about it. They wanted to know the motivations behind everything I mentioned on my resume. Why did I choose to go to the school I went to? Why did I choose a specific summer job? Etc.

Interview Question – If you have a table of cats and a table of their kittens, how would you link the two tables? Write a query that would return all children for a given cat.   Answer Question

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Achievers in February 2011.

Interview Details – Applied directly to their website as a Software Developer when they were still known as "I Love Rewards." Was contacted 2 weeks later to arrange a "Meet and Greet Interview" as they called it for the following day. The office is located in an old warehouse in a shady part of downtown Toronto. Instead of getting a meet and greet, I met their senior developer, a rather large, obese man who was not interested in what I could offer but how much code I can write in a short period of time. He must have been the oldest person there as everybody else looked to be in their 20s. With the lack of seniority, I was cautious that either they have a high turnover rate, or the salary was incredibly low.

Was whisked to a spare meeting room and told to write several functions and a SQL query. After that a couple of questions and it was over. Must have been less than 30 minutes. Never received a response from them again, even after several thank you emails.

No idea how much they've changed since then but if a company decides to suddenly change their brand/name it must to hide their previous image. Would not recommend regardless what their name is.

Interview Question – Implement this SQL query.   Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Achievers in January 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online for this position and was offered the interview a week later. The HR person called my phone number to arrange an interview, which I scheduled for the next week, then the HR person sent an email to confirm the interview.

When I arrived at the "front door", there were two other people who were going for interviews as well. It took 10 minutes before someone greeted us and let us know that we can wait inside. Although my interview was at 8:30 am, the majority of the employees were already working at their desks. The interviewer showed up more than 15 minutes late. This was a 1:1 interview with the team lead. The interview took place in what appeared to be a a team meeting room.

The interview questions consisted of 1) past experience with using particular programming languages, 2) skill tests on fundamental programming, 3) questions for the interviewer, followed by 4) salary expectation. The skills testing questions were "how to" questions and did not have any "why" questions. In the questions for the interviewer, the following were revealed:
1) There will be some weeks of 80 hours of work.
2) New hires are expected to start contributing immediately. There are no new hire training time frame.
3) Within the development team, there are several sub teams. To get a new feature to be added to the software involves creating the feature and demonstrating it to the team for feature acceptance. There are no feature request approval procedures.
4) Employers get into the top employers list by having all their employees complete the survey which asks about their employer, and the survey results are "positive". I Love Rewards got onto the top employer lists by asking their employees to submit positive survey responses.

The interview took about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Achievers

Worked for Achievers? Contribute to the Community!

Achievers Videos

Achievers – Why Work for Us?

Mission and Vision Achievers’ mission is to Change the Way the World Works. Your employees are your company’s greatest asset; when you empower them to succeed, your business reaps the benefits. Achievers Software and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Achievers Software Developer interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Achievers employees and interview candidates.