Acquia Interview Questions

Updated Sep 4, 2014

3.1

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Acquia in August 2014.

I was contacted via email by a recruiter shortly after applying online. I worked with the recruiter by email, but we set up an immediate phone screening with the hiring manager. I spoke with her for about 20-30 minutes over the phone. Since I was not local (the position was for Burlington, MA) we then set up three Skype calls with other members of the team (two product managers and a senior UX team member).

The Skype calls went well and were fairly laid back. We talked about my experience, interests, and the team dynamics there at Acquia. I did some research ahead of time and had specific questions prepared for each person. The discussions with PMs were mostly a "culture fit" kind of thing, the toughest was probably with the UX team member since it was more focused on my skills. These calls each lasted 30-60 minutes.

I was contacted again by the hiring manager the same day of the third call, this time to schedule a site visit. This would be a full-day interview. The hiring manager sent me a design exercise to complete ahead of time, with instructions to spend no more than 2-4 hours on it. The exercise asked me to re-design a specific aspect of one of Acquia's products, Cloud. I conducted some quick research, a heuristic evaluation, and developed some wireframes to suggest a new workflow.

The interview day began with me leading a presentation/discussion with the UX team on how I tackled the exercise. Then a 3-person lunch with me and two members of the team. I then spoke to several people alone over the course of the day, including two directors, managers, and the recruiter. The hiring manager spoke with me again at the end to tell me how well everything went and that an offer would be imminent. The entire day at Acquia was about 5-6 hours.

The entire interview process, between application and accepting an offer, was a little over 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Probably the design exercise was the most challenging aspect, only because a lot of self-doubt starts to creep in when suggesting major designs and/or changes in a vacuum. The exercise itself was fairly open-ended, there were obviously no right answers, but the goal was mainly just for the team to get a feel for your design process. Then obviously the presentation of your solution in a group "critique" kind of environment was a bit stressful.   View Answer
    I did negotiate on the offer, but only slightly. The initial offer was extremely generous and did not warrant any significant negotiation.

Operations Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Acquia in June 2014.

Company reached out to me 3-4 times in past year for interest. Initial phone interview request and in person interview request was within a week. Now 3 weeks almost 4 no email OR call. ( I emailed day after interview a thank you note and no resort either) Find this extremely unprofessional!! 2 friends said same happened to them.

Senior Manager Interview

Fairly close to the job description. Contacted by corporate recruiter over phone. Very professional and courteous - even responded with reasons why I was not a fit. Rare gem in the industry.

Interview Questions
    • Not really. The job description was an excellent guide of what they're looking to hire.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Acquia in May 2014.

I had an initial phone interview with a very friendly HR representative that was pretty typical. Went over sales background, my role at current company but barely anything about their position. Then was invited invited for an on-site interview within a week or so.

They are obviously a young, growing company so it was understandable that they may be sometimes a little disorganized. After meeting with the HR person I had an interview with a Sales manager which lasted about 20 minutes and never really dove into the details of open position but was a nice general intro to the company. The second part was with an AE themselves who wasn't able to physically be in the office so it was held over the phone. He was the first to speak about the position itself which was very useful. The third part was with the VP of sales and it was a typical interview again.

The follow up is where it went downhill. I was asked to email the VP as a follow up which I did but never received a reply back. I would have at least appreciated a reply stating that they moved forward with another candidate or that I didn't fit their needs. That was the first time that I've ever interviewed where someone (follow up contact or at least HR) did not give a response or feedback after taking a day to interview.

If this is how the company hiring/interview processes and procedures are ran, I can't imagine actually working there would be any better.

Drupal Client Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Acquia in September 2013.

A very structures process all though I did not know how long or how many interviews there would be.

Interview Questions
    • A situation where I was pleased with my sollution given to a client and one where I was displeased   Answer Question
    A short question about salary level in the beginning and a short negotiation in the end.

User Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Acquia.

Short screen by HR person to verify skills in job posting, then another shortish interview with hiring manager that was quite relaxed and talked about my previous projects and a lot about the team and what she was looking for and then follow-ups on whether I could and wanted to do such.
    Next was a series of 30 minute meetings with members of the team, followed by an exercise and presentation. All of this was via Skype as I'm not local.
    The design research exercise was straight forward as such things go. I enjoyed doing it. What followed was an hour long group presentation/interview.
    I had a blast doing the presentation and it really helped me get a feel for the team and the working environment.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions all dealt with how I would handle a particular design situation.   View Answer

Primary reason I did not accept is that Acquia doesn't handle relocation expenses. Secondarily they pay below market rates. I was impressed enough with the company and especially the UX team that I would have considered the lower pay as they are getting nearer to IPO and equity would likely have made up the difference.

Regional Practice Director, Professional Services Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Acquia in August 2013.

Applied online via website. Email next day from HR to setup initial phone screen. Phone screen went well and seemed to be a reasonable fit and was passed on to hiring manager for review. Hiring manager did request an interview but felt I lacked experience specific to their industry and was candid and honest about this at the end of the interview.

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Acquia in August 2013.

Was called in to interview for two different EA positions. Never received any feedback from company even after sending several notes to HR and people I interviewed with. Also tried calling but always got voicemail.

Interview Questions
    • The usual - strengths, weaknesses, types of personalities that I liked/didn't like to deal with.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Acquia.

Quick response once I applied for a role and Recruiter contacted me within 48 hours. Hiring manager re-scheduled twice before we finally connected. I came in for a series of interviews, nothing out of the ordinary. No-one seemed to take notes and it was more of a bunch of informal conversations, nothing too difficult.

I thought the interviews went well and the Recruiter intimated further interviews. Disappointingly I've not heard anything since and its been a few weeks so I can assume I wasn't successful, but it would have been good to have at least received a 'no thank-you' email or call.

Overall, a mixed experience.

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Acquia.

I applied on the website. Usually, one never gets response without a reference, but oddly enough a recruiter called me. After the initial successful phone screen, I was invited to speak with a hiring manager.
    This hiring manager (perhaps the whole company?) expects that managers are all supermen, so the interviewer asked me gazillion questions about different aspects of managing. Overall, I do not believe the interview was particularly difficult, although fairly long and detailed.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a conflict situation. How did you resolve it?   View Answer