Action Benefits

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southfield, MI
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southfield, MI

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Action Benefits in May 2012.

I applied via CareerBuilder.com for the position and a few days later was contacted by one of their HR consultants via e-mail rather than phone call (which I thought was strange), indicating they were interested in speaking to me regarding the position and wanted me to advise them of some some days and times that would be convenient for them to call.

I had a phone interview on Friday, May 4 to be exact after which they decided to proceed with sending a link for me to take various assessments: IQ/Intelligence test, Skills test & also the typical Personality test. I received a follow up e-mail on that following Monday after they reviewed the results of the assessments. Once again their way of communicating I find strange; how they choose to send e-mails rather than try to call first.

Well, the e-mail was outlining the times available for the week for interviews that they wanted to set me up for. So, I chose that upcoming Wednesday, May 9. I was given the names of the VP of HR and Chief Informations & Operations Officer. So of course I was sure to have a very well laid out cover letter addressed to the both of them individually with copies of my resume. My professionalism and skills I felt were top notch.

During the interview, I had to make sure I was creative at the end when they asked if I had any questions, just so I could reel in some more info about myself. This is because they did not have any good interview questions. Nothing focused on my skills, strengths, or the job. I had to bring the focus back to that. They kept just asking the same thing...."So tell me about your job/time at ______ company" and "Why did you leave there?" Why does that matter, I understand if someone has gaps in their work history, or very short terms of employment with a company, but other than that, why is that a repetitive question. I understand employers want to know why you left your most recent/current employer but to go back & ask about every single employer over the past 10 years is a bit ridiculous to me. I had been at my most recent employer for 4years, so good that they hired me in from a temporary employee assignment. Unfortunately I had medical issues recently & there was a discrepency with what FMLA time I had been told was available by Cigna versus what they later came back & reported to the employer. It is still as of this day in appeal with my Union, but that is the only reason for my separation from the recent employer. They may not have liked that I was let go involuntarily but if they can't see past that & look at my years with the company instead, then I guess I'm better off not being there.

So, you got the point,...I didn't get the job. I received a letter (not an e-mail, lol) in the mail, with typos, by the way, indicating they decided to go with someone they feel better fit the requirements of the position. Oh, another thing....they kept trying to talk the pay down to $15 desppite my several years of experience performing the tasks of the position. I pointed out to the HR Consultant during the initial phone interview that the CareerBuilder posting did say $15-$18/hr and that I met the requirements and beyond for the job and so the preferred experience they indicated I actually had so I felt that warranted more than entry level pay, but the highest pay posted. They were talking around it asking me how much I had to pay for my insurance at my previous employer and then tried to say that well theirs was considerably lower deductions per pay period. Anyone knows $50-$100/month difference in health premiums is not enough to overlook a $3 pay difference. Plus for all I know, their health insurance could have been the worst with deductibles and coinsurances out of this world. I don't know what they were trying to pull with that compare & contrast.

Just wanted to add that because that could have been a determining factor low key. They may have wanted to go with someone else they could easily pay less. You've heard it before, the "overqualified" statement.

Interview Questions
  • So, tell me about your job/time at ______ company....   View Answer
  • Why did you leave that job.   View Answer