Active Network Interview Questions

Updated Mar 17, 2015
Updated Mar 17, 2015

2.7

Junior Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Active Network.

Contacted by recuriter quickly after applying, and the phone interview is about 7 minutes, just list the background and experience related with the each requirement of the position. But also got rejection quickly in two days later. recuriter is very nice and polite.

Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Active Network.

Hiring process was pretty fast, submitted my resume, got an email from recruiter the following day asking me to complete an online assignment, was called after three days for a phone interview which lasted about 9 minutes, very pleasant recruiter, she asked me to come in for an on-site interview scheduled for a week after the phone interview. Interview lasted about 25 minutes, was interviewed by 2 people, normal situational interview questions were asked, promised to get-in-touch within 3 days which they did.

Interview Questions
    • Looking back into now from the future of 3 years, how would you say that the company has imparted into you and vice-versa?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate with the recruiter, I actually got more than I specified in the application form and phone interview

Web Developer III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Active Network in August 2014.

Read the non-compete contract.

There was a phone interview and an in-person interview.

The employees I talked to were respectful and pleasant. The programmers I talked to were nice, but awkward. They seemed pretty average in their technical expertise and weren't the kinds of people that were really passionate about new technologies or attending conferences and user groups. That's Ok (people need work-life balance after all). That just didn't work for my career goals.

The technology for the group I would have been working on would have taken an existing Winforms application and re-written it in a newer technology. This was church organization software. Some of the interviewers mentioned some refactoring work that was frustrating because of a lack of comments, so I assume there would have been some of that as well. I'd expect that from any company that's established. However, the external recruiter I talked to told me there would only new technologies. This was not true.

The offer was great for my years of experience: $100,000. I had multiple similar offers which were better and did not have such a general and long (2 years for some things) non-compete clause. The non-compete contract was a major negative from my perspective. There were restrictions on who you could work for and how you could apply for jobs after working there. It also states that you can't say anything negative about the company (I did not see a time limit on this section of the contract).

Technical Questions:

- List as many of the ASP.NET lifecycle functions as you can.
    - How does the MVC pattern work in ASP.NET?
    - What is a Common Table Expression in SQL? (CTE) They sometimes want you to write this out. Not so great of a question on the phone.

Most coders don't memorize function names when they work with a variety of libraries and technologies. This kind of test doesn't say much about the problem solving skills of a developer. Despite it's name, I don't think a CTE is very commonly used. There are plenty of alternatives in T-SQL.

Interview Questions

The non-compete contract would have made it very difficult for me to get a job after working there.

The contract stated that I could not:

- Apply for a job with another company without first sending them a copy of the non-compete clause. Effective when you start and 2 years after you work there.

- I could not work for any of their clients as an employee for a year (That could be a lot of companies, since they are involved in so many industries).

- For two years, you can't work for competing companies in any city they hold an office or work for any of their clients there. (Read your specific contract for exact details)

- I could not speak negatively about them during or after working there. This includes verbally and on the internet, etc (including Glassdoor).

I'm not a legal expert, this is a summary of what I understood on the contract.

Accounts Payable Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Active Network.

The interview process was fairly simple. The first interview was a basic phone interview with the HR recruiter. Next I went through 3 more rounds of interviews. Two were in person and one was another phone interview. I met with the VP of Finance Operations, the Sr. Director of Revenue Recognition, and A/P hiring managers. It was a great experience getting to meet with people from different levels within the company.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions weren’t hard it at all. They were your basic tell us about yourself and why do you want this position type of questions. Overall it was a great interview experience.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Active Network in August 2014.

Reached out directly to one of the recruiters on linked in. I got a call from him and we did a brief screening. Nothing earth shattering "why do you want to leave your current job? "what got you interested in Active?"

went to a cognitive thinking test, which was tough and you don't get your results. You either get to the next step or you don't.

Did skype interviews with 2 guys, sales manager and VP of sales. Both were skype because it was during the HQ transition.

after the 3rd interview, got the offer before I left.

Interview Questions
    • nothing unexpected, however start dates don't happen randomly, they will start when a new training kicks off. Also, negotiation isn't really part of the game when getting into a sales role.   Answer Question

Support Interview

Blow smoke and make promises you can't keep. Seems to be the way to go. Favoritism is apparently a minimum requirement. As long as you know someone, you're in.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Active Network.

Sent in my resume, got a response the next day to fill in an online assessment. Never heard back after filling in the online assessment. The online assessment was not incredibly hard. It was 2 parts; a "rate yourself on 1-5" test, and an IQ test with many math questions. They were not hard, but there was not enough time to do the test without a calculator, and instructions specifically said not to use a calculator.

Interview Questions
    • Person A and person B both need to write a 200 page book. Person A write 20 pages per day, person B writes 30 pages per day. How much earlier will person B finish writing the book?   View Answers (4)

Account Manager Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Active Network in July 2014.

Screening 'personality/aptitude' test with many math/logic questions, followed by a phone interview with the HR recruiter. Next, a phone interview with the hiring manager, and then what was supposed to be an in-person interview that turned into another phone interview because the manager's flights didn't line up. This last interview involved a role-play scenario with several team members. I was also asked to take a proctored version of the aptitude test to verify I hadn't cheated the first time around - a reasonable precaution on their part.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were not difficult or unexpected, this was a fairly standard interview process outside of the aptitude test.   Answer Question

Base pay was much lower than discussed during the initial phone screening. In addition, the recruiter and hiring manager did not seem to be in sync in their communications with me; 3-4 positions were discussed, and it wasn't clear which I was actually being considered for until an offer was made. The position that as offered was a significant step back for me, career-wise.

My advice to the hiring recruiter is to make sure you're asking the right questions about where your candidate wants to go and where they currently are in their career - I feel bad that we spent so much time and energy interviewing, only for me to turn down the offer because it was a more junior-level role than I had been led to believe I had been interviewing for.

Marketing Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Active Network in July 2014.

It was sort of a whiplash experience. The recruiter found me via LinkedIn, and was very nice. After my initial interview, it seemed the fit could be mutually great. I went through the interview process, which involved two cognitive tests (which had nothing to do with the skills required of the job), a personality test, and a round of interviews via video. I also completed a written test. The team I'd work with seemed great, and the position seemed like a lot of fun. The recruiter was on top of things, and updated me on the process. In all, that took about a month.
    Then it got a little weird.
    They made me an offer, but less $ than they'd stated during the interview process. I was also asked to relocate on a relatively short notice. The position could easily be performed on a remote basis, so if I were given a little bit more time to move, it would have been easy. I could also easily 'commute' or visit bi-weekly/as determined between cities a couple times until moving.
    When I asked about details (such as, was there relocation assistance), the recruiter said she didn't know. Mind you, this was all supposed to be just weeks away.
    The offer/hiring process felt rushed and I felt like a number. The recruiter asked me to, "let her work (her) magic," but the things she'd promise or offer didn't matter, as what came back was different and firm. It was as if she had no power to ask for anything, at all. (I don't think this was her fault. The directives came from what she called, "leadership.")
    The actual folks I'd be working with seemed like awesome human beings, and awesome colleagues. But feeling like I was just a number so soon in the game threw me off.

Interview Questions
    • The cognitive test is timed. Answer as many questions as you can!   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Active Network in July 2014.

I applied online and heard back from a recruiter 4 days later. It was a phone interview and he mainly wanted to know why I applied to Active Network and tell him what they do. This caught me a bit off-guard being that most companies tell you about themselves and then ask you about yourself in return. Which gives you the chance to tell them how you would fit. I stumbled along and could not recover from that mistake. There were no difficult questions. Just know that unlike most phone interviews where the company takes the chance to inform you a bit more, you will instead inform them.