Activision Publishing

www.activision.com

Activision Publishing Interview Questions

2.5

Global Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Activision Publishing.

I had three interviews with this company and all were over the telephone. I had amazing and awesome feedback regarding my interview and was really excited about this opportunity. A couple days went by and I never heard from them. I emailed them about their hiring timetable and when final decisions would be made. Weeks went by and I never heard one thing. Thought it was pretty unprofessional not hearing anything back, since I did recieve really positive feedback about my work experience.

Data Analyst/CRM/Statistician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Activision Publishing.

Can't remember the exact job title but it has to do with CRM and data analytics. Got a call from the director/manager. Apparently, my resume was being passed around in the company for about a year. Finally, someone found me interesting.

We spent 30mins talking and eventually the conversation spilled over to lunch time. Interviewer asked if I can stay a little longer, I said why not. Interviewer replied with the most ridiculous line "You better be! Cos I am giving up lunch for this.".

That was very rude.

Was asked basic SQL questions. I am working for a 6-figure salary in Mountain View yet interviewer finds it necessary to test my sql skills. Exactly sure what was the point. If you doubt my skills/abilities, don't call to talk to me.

Associate Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Activision Publishing in May 2012.

After applying online had a phone interview with HR which consisted of general questions about my work experience and interest in the position. After our conversation they indicated they would like me to come in and meet with 2 hiring managers. HR was great about giving background and preping for what the hiring managers were looking for.

I was scheduled to meet with 2 hiring managers - one 45 min interview, one 30 minute interview - and barely got 30 minutes total of their time. The first hiring manager showed up 20 minutes late, made no effort to ask me about my experience and was annoyed when I asked questions. The second hiring manager also showed up late, announced she had another meeting scheduled and was cutting our conversation to 15 minutes. They asked a few more questions, but seemed very preoccupied and uninterested in what I had to say.

I am not sure if the hiring decisions had been made in-between my initial conversation with HR and my interview or if I was a candidate HR pushed for, but hiring managers didn't have any interest in. My impression of the organization was they have been running extremely lean with more work than people to do it and has created a culture that is disorganized and chaotic.

I was relieved when I received an email from HR indicating they were pursuing other candidates. While the position itself was something I was very excited about, both the organization and hiring managers were extreme turnoffs to the position.

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edina, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edina, MN

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Activision Publishing in May 2012.

Got there and had to wait for an interview along with dozens of other applicants. Finally got in and talked to two employees who were very nice and asked standard interview questions and talked about my resumé. Next interviewer seemed aloof and disinterested, and after that I was out there door with very little of an idea of what might happen next...

Interview Questions
    • Asked me to list 3 things I'm bad at, not a totally uncommon question but still one that caught me at least a bit off guard.   Answer Question

Finance Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Activision Publishing in March 2012.

There were 2 30minute interviews with 2 people each. They wanted to know about excel experience, real life accounting application work, and seemed to want accounting majors over finance majors. 2 of the interviews were super cold about it, while the other 2 seemed very nice.

Production Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

The process took a dayinterviewed at Activision Publishing in June 2011.

Applied online. Got contacted by internal recruiter and had a phone conversation with him. He asked what I knew about Activision Value and I recited the history of the company which impressed him (do your homework). Scheduled a call with the VP and that was horrible. The VP didn't pay any attention to my answers, asking me if I really want to live in MN (relocation) after I told him how much I wanted to live there. He was silent and I could hear typing in the b/g so I think he was working on something else during the call. Basically, he was looking for someone to manage 'shovel-ware' with quick turnarounds and low budgets which turned me off as I care about quality. I didn't want the job after the call but still sent a very nice email thank you. Never heard back but I didn't expect to. Relocating to work for a person who doesn't give you common courtsey on a phone interview is a recipe for disaster.

Brand Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Activision Publishing in April 2011.

About a week after submitting online via website, got a call from local recruiter to set up phone interview. Details regarding interview were emailed and I was asked to call HR rep at set time/day. Overall, interview went well. Interviewer was polite, engaged, professional and we had good rapport. However, it's now been nearly a month and I've yet to receive any feedback whatsoever. I did send a written thank-you note and followed up with a direct email two weeks later but still nothing. Disappointing...
    Interview was positive, follow-up thus far is negative.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between tactical and strategic planning and how have you used both?   Answer Question

Media Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Activision Publishing in June 2009.

Had two phone interviews with two different people in the Recruiting Department. These were thorough and intense. Once I cleared these, last hurdle before the face-to-face interview was a phone interview with the CMO.

He rescheduled 3 different times including two times that were immediately before the scheduled start time. Once we finally connected, he was on his cell phone driving and he was distracted. He was friendly, but not a good listener. He cut the interview short, said he had an emergency. However, he said he really liked what he was hearing and definitely wanted to continue the conversation ASAP. He said his assistant would be in touch immediately.

She never called and when I followed up, I got a call back from the original recruiter. She gave a very canned "thanks, but no thanks" sorry charlie.

It was frustrating because they originally came to me, I was not even looking and they ultimately used up a lot of my time. Maybe the way they treated me is indicative of their culture so its best I never made it all the way.

The silver lining was I did get some good interview practice, plus a little glimpse into how not to treat people when I am hiring.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were asked to do something unethical or illegal by your boss.   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Activision Publishing in April 2009.

The interview process consisted of interviews with a manager and then a recruiter. The manager asked thoughtful questions and really put a good face on the company.

Interview Questions
    • Can you describe a time in business where you think your judgment was challenged?   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Activision Publishing in January 2009.

The hiring and interview is quite simple and are listed as followed:

1. Phone interview regarding your knowledge on video games.
    2. Group interview and test regard if one is able to follow directions.
    3. If you pass, you get hired and put on projects.

Interview Questions
    • Why is it so hard to move up within the company as a QA Tester?   Answer Question
    There wasn't really a negotiation phase besides deciding whether you want to work the day or night shift.