Acumen

Getting the Interview

63 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Acumen.

Interview Details – Applied through my career center. The interview went fairly well, I thought. They gave a math test in the beginning and then I interviewed with 6 different people. They were all nice and asked questions about projects I had done,

Interview Question – How would you improve this project?   Answer Question

Data and Policy Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Acumen.

Interview Details – Had three rounds of interviews, two phone interviews and an onsite one. The people I talked with in phone interviews are higher level analysts, very friendly and intelligent. I also visited the DC office, small setting but very nice and professional. I enjoyed the onsite interview. The interviewers asked questions clearly and provided a lot of information about the company.

Interview Question – Regular questions about my resume, nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Data and Policy Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Acumen.

Interview Details – After my online application, i was contacted via email and a phone interview was scheduled. Phone interview was mainly about my resume and work experience. Second interview was a case study requiring some basic statistical analysis. There was a bit of a lag in their response time. The interviewer seemed unenthusiastic.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected question.   Answer Question

Data and Policy Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Acumen.

Interview Details – Applied online.Heard back within a week and scheduled a phone interview. The interviewer was very nice. All questions were regular, basically just went through resume and asked detailed questions about all experiences listed. There were also some behavioral questions introduce something about you and why are you interested in acumen.

Interview Question – All regular questions.   Answer Question

Statistical Analyst Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Acumen.

Interview Details – Got to know about the position during career fair, and I applied through the online form. I got a phone interview first, and then an on-site interview two weeks later. Met at least 8 or 9 people there and had a great lunch.

Interview Question – During the phone interview, I was asked about a detail of my research, but I didn't know the answer.   Answer Question

Mar 18, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the on-site interview and had a great lunch.

Statistical Programmer Interview

Statistical Programmer

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Acumen.

Interview Details – I found Acumen through an on campus job link. After applying online and sending several follow up emails, I was contacted back and asked for a coding sample. After submitting the sample, I was scheduled for a phone interview several weeks later. The phone interview was pretty technical, they asked me to explain all my projects and course work so far in statistics and numerical analysis. They grilled me on specific methods in statistics. And rigorously critiqued my project work in regression analysis. I was able to answer the questions pretty well in my opinion and it was a subject and project I felt confident in. After no response for a couple weeks, I decided to call Acumen on an update. They then emailed me the next day rejecting me.

Interview Question – Very detailed questions on my regression analysis project. How did you eliminate variables? How did you avoid multicolinearity? Are you familiar with instrumental variables? Describe the significance of your results?   Answer Question

Mar 18, 2014

Thank you for this feedback. We are working toward improving the length of response time throughout our interview process.

Data & Policy Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Acumen in January 2014.

Interview Details – Phone Interview and then on site

Interview Question – Many behavior questions. They asked very detailed questions about your experiences.   Answer Question

Mar 18, 2014

Thank you for writing a review. We are happy you had a positive application experience and will be joining our team.

Data and Policy Analyst - Statistical Programmer Interview

Burlingame, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Acumen.

Interview Details – Found the job opening on my campus recruitment site. Submitted an application online through the Acumen website and received an email within a week to schedule a phone interview (which would be a few weeks later). Phone interview was about 30 minutes long, pretty informal, just going through my resume and research experience and why I wanted to work at Acumen specifically (make sure you have a good answer for that). Had to describe the data analysis, in detail, that I had done in the past.

Heard back a week or two later when they requested that I fly out for an in-person interview. Only offered to reimburse $400, which covered about 2/3 of the cost of the trip. Interview was about 5 hours. Began with a very easy logic/stat test, kind of like the SAT/GRE. Didn't need that much stat knowledge beyond the basics. Then moved on to a series of 5 interviews, one of which was held casually over lunch. Everyone was very nice and smart. Asked questions about my research experience, why I wanted to work there, and what interested me about data analytics. Intellectual curiosity, a desire to continue learning after college, and some computer competencies, were I think the main things they were looking for. Didn't need a huge interest in policy.

Overall, a nice place with smart, motivated people. Projects seem interesting with a lot of room to grow over the first couple of years. Definitely wish they had reimbursed fully and offered a higher salary.

Interview Question – Why do you want to go into the policy field instead of the tech industry?   Answer Question

Mar 10, 2014

Thank you for this feedback on our interview process. We would appreciate any follow up feedback once you have started working at Acumen as well.

Very Easy Interview

Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Acumen in January 2014.

Interview Details – Probably the worst phone interview I've ever had. Recruiters were extremely rude, and when I misspoke about something during the call, the recruiter kept on interrupting me (giving me no chance to explain) and telling me that I was just wrong, wrong, absolutely wrong. I felt like I was talking to a stubborn 5 year old than an adult working in a professional environment.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Just asked about what I have done in the past.   Answer Question

Mar 10, 2014

Thanks for this feedback. We take all feedback very serious. We sincerely apologize for any rudeness that occurred on your phone interview.

Data and Policy Analyst
Burlingame, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Acumen in November 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted online via their website and had a current employee vouch for me.

The next day, they contacted me and set up a phone interview the week afterward. The phone interview was 20 minutes and covered fairly standard material - Why do you want to work here? What's your background in programming and statistical analysis?

A week after the phone interview, they contacted me to set up an in-person interview. Those brought in for an interview need to provide more information about employment history, references, and past addresses (presumably for the government background check) through a supplemental application.

The interview happened two weeks later. The interview begins with a one-hour exam meant to test your knowledge of basic statistical principles. After that, there was a series of interviews with various employees, most of whom worked in the position I was applying for. These half-hour interviews, being run by the employees, again consisted of very standard interview questions (why do you want to work here? What projects of ours interest you? What's your background in programming/statistics?)

One last interview had to be done over the phone some several weeks later, due to the employee being out of town at the time. A week after that, I was turned down.

Interview Question – It was a bog-standard interview all the way through. Prepare to answer the same question multiple times.   Answer Question

Mar 10, 2014

Thank you for this feedback. You'll be happy to know we have made some changes within our interview process to try to alleviate repetition within interviews.
Interviews for Top Jobs at Acumen

Worked for Acumen? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Acumen interview questions and advice. All 63 interview reviews posted anonymously by Acumen employees and interview candidates.