AdRoll Interview Questions

Updated Aug 23, 2014
Updated Aug 23, 2014

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at AdRoll in September 2012.

Phone screen then 2 hour block of in person interviews. Asked basic questions surrounding experience, industry, and job functionality. Low balled me on my offer. I was able to negotiate a little higher than their initial offer for salary and stock options.

Interview Questions
    Ask for more money. Low ball everyone.

Marketing Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AdRoll in February 2014.

UPDATE: After reading this review, AdRoll actually contacted me to request feedback about my interview process. I suppose that the review is specific enough that they were able to identify my unique experience. The recruiter has since left the company (I won't speculate) but I spoke with the hiring manager again and had a very pleasant, professional, and productive conversation about my experience and was able to offer suggestions on how to improve the recruiting experience for others. The hiring manager does appear to take feedback seriously and I was impressed that she / AdRoll cared enough to follow up with me. I applaud her for doing so. I have changed my review from "negative" to "neutral" as a result, and I would certainly recommend this particular hiring manager to others.

Applied online. Was contacted by a recruiter several days later to set up a phone screen. Had a very nice conversation the recruiter via phone a week after I had applied (although she called me at the wrong time of day... an hour before we were supposed to speak), things went well, and so she and her scheduler set up a phone screen for me with the hiring manager for the next week.

The hiring manager never called on the day I was supposed to speak with her, and so I emailed the recruiter and her scheduler, telling them that I never connected with the hiring manager and that I would be available for a rescheduled call over the next several days. Several days pass and I hear nothing back. I email again, this time providing specific times that I will be available... several days pass, and again I receive no response. Finally, I emailed the recruiter and asked if they were still hiring for the position and if my application was still being considered. The recruiter responds, apologizes and blames her scheduler for the lack of communication (she thought that her scheduler had already rescheduled me) and tells me that the hiring manager had been sick (would have been nice to know that on the day I was originally scheduled to interview), but that the hiring manager would still like to speak with me. However, the hiring manger is now out of town, so the call won't be able to take place until the next week. Fine.

I finally speak with the hiring manger on a Monday (ten days after the initial call was scheduled) and we have a VERY good conversation. At the end of the call, she tells me that she wants me to come in for an on-site interview, but that she'd prefer it if I came in that week since there are currently other candidates interviewing on-site. I tell her that's fine, and that I will wait for the recruiter to contact me to schedule something. On Thursday afternoon, the recruiter still hasn't contacted me to schedule the on-site, and so I email her. I receive an email back from the recruiter on Friday afternoon, again apologizing for the delay, explaining that another candidate, (who was apparently an internal referral and was fast-tracked) had just interviewed that day and that the hiring manager was going to move forward with him/her, thus ending my application!

If a company is going to "ding" me because I lack the qualifications/experience for a role, that's fine. What's not fine is if I'm dinged because a recruiting department & hiring manager can't coordinate their schedules and my application falls through the cracks. I really did enjoy speaking with both the recruiter and the hiring manager, however, I also believe that this section of AdRoll has serious communication / coordination issues, and that may be a reflection of the company as a whole (I don't know... just guessing). I would consider the company again under the right circumstances, but I can't recommend AdRoll to friends / colleagues due to this experience.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. General background questions, and asked how I would approach marketing at AdRoll.   Answer Question

Customer Delight Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at AdRoll in June 2013.

A phone interview, in-person with 3 people, presentation and last interview

Good interview - although a lot of the same questions from each person I spoke with. "Why are you a good fit", questions about employment history, some problem solving questions, etc. All pretty standard.

I didn't have the technical backgrounded needed for this position.

*Do your research on the company - they appreciated that knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • Exactly how many Starbucks are there in San Francisco? (Without using a computer or phone)   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AdRoll in November 2012.

Very informal. Came in, waited, was given tour, had me draw out the sales process of my previous employer on a white board. nterviewed with 3 people who I'd be working with.

Interview Questions
    • How did you prepare for this interview   View Answer

Low pay and no bonus structure.

Full-Time Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at AdRoll in July 2013.

Round 1 phone interview. Then brought into office to meet 1 member of team and department head. Final interview with C-level exec prior to offer.

Interview Questions
    Generous offer so no negotiation needed.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at AdRoll.

They move fast. Phone Screen involved an unexpected test on a shared screen. I enjoyed it even though I was unprepared for it. I was invited for on site interviews with 3 people. Everyone I spoke with was pleasant and down to earth. I was informed soon after of their decision not to extend an offer.

Interview Questions
    • They ran through recent problems that they were working on.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at AdRoll in July 2013.

They move fast, average difficulty interview.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at AdRoll.

Sent in an application via referral. Was contacted by a recruiter soon after. Phone interview was standard and very quick (15-20 minutes). They asked me to explain my previous experiences as well as explain what AdRoll does. They sent out some specific suggestions about preparing for the interview - mainly to know as much as you can about what AdRoll does.

I came in for an interview, met with three people - two sales leads and a sales manager. The interviews were pretty standard but a lot of it came down to how well I understood the Ad-tech industry and what were AdRoll's value propositions. They also asked a few questions to see whether I could analyze data efficiently.

I was called back the next day and invited back for a 2nd round of interviews. That was a very short process to gauge my interest level and to get to know me on a more personal level.

I was contacted the next day and given an offer. They move pretty quick here. I was contacted on Monday, hired by Friday.

Overall, great communication and treated very well throughout the process.

Interview Questions
    • Explain what AdRoll does. What makes us different from the competition?   Answer Question

Customer Success Interview

I had 1 phone interview and 2 onsite interviews with adroll. Everyone in the office was extremely friendly. They had me interview with the client services team there. Discussed basic fluffy questions (you're on an island and you have to bring one item etc…) I also had an interview with their CEO which was a treat. If nothing else, I learned a lot about the industry.

My final in person interview was a 15 minute powerpoint presentation on any topic.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any particularly demanding questions. You should go in with some familiarity with ad tech. (i.e. know what CPM stands for)   Answer Question

Software Engineer - New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AdRoll in October 2013.

I was looking for companies to apply to and I found AdRoll on a couple "promising companies" lists. Ad-tech companies tend to work on problems that match my interests (AI, Big Data, back-end systems) so I applied.

A recruiter contacted me almost immediately and we set up a quick phone screen where we talked about my interests and the company. Following that were two technical phone screens with engineers. My first phone screen was given by a software engineer and involved coding on a collaborative editor (stypi/collabedit). My second phone screen was given by a data scientist and covered streaming algorithms for sampling and analysis (no real coding, we just talked).

After the Technical screens I got a call from the CEO and we had a brief chat about the company (including a short technical question) and then they flew me out to SF. I had 4 onsite technical interviews where I was asked about algorithms and system design. All the interviewers were really laid back and refreshingly candid when I asked questions about the company.

At the end of the day the CEO took me out for lunch and let me ask him questions about the company. I didn't know much about start-ups so I asked about equity and valuations and AdRoll’s strategy/competitors and such. It was really cool to hear the CEO’s perspective on things.

That same night I got a call from my recruiter saying they’d like to give me an offer. I was very impressed with the company and the people I talked to and the offer was competitive so I decided to accept.

Interview Questions
    • (Backend) How does MapReduce work? (from a system perspective? from an algorithmic perspective?)   Answer Question

Worked for AdRoll? Contribute to the Community!