AdRoll

AdRoll Interview Questions

Updated Dec 25, 2014
Updated Dec 25, 2014

Business Intelligent Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AdRoll.

The process was quick, but lengthy. First was a phone interview with the recruiter. A couple of days later, was a second r phone interview, but it was with an analyst. The phone interviews were mainly fit questions.

The recruiter was very quick to give me feedback and to invite me to an on-site interview where I met with two analysts. These interviews were a combination of fit questions and brain teasers. Each interview was roughly an hour and a half each. They really grill you! However, they made it a fun experience, and I enjoyed it.

After that, the recruiter was again, very quick to update me. The next round had to be delayed because the last team member was out sick. It was scheduled two weeks later.

The final round I made it to involved another interview with the last analyst in the team and one of the VPs. Again, they made the experience very pleasant. This last round included a combination of fit, behavioral, and analytics questions, this time they were more business oriented. The interviews were again about an hour and a half each.

Unfortunately, it seemed that I was not a great fit due to a weak business background.

Overall, it was a very positive experience. My only gripe was the length of the interviews.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you to write SQL queries, test your statistics background with business case studies, and will ask about your knowledge in the retargeting business.   Answer Question

SMB Account Executive Interview

They look for people who have a passion for marketing and are likeable and do cold calling and like it.
    You need to explain, why you want to work for them and what are their differentiators

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work in the marketing industry and what is your passion about it?   Answer Question

Mid-Market Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at AdRoll in July 2014.

1. Was contacted by an internal recruiter at AdRoll over the phone, who asked me some qualifying questions and scheduled an interview.

2. In Person Interview - Met with 3 different Sales Directors who head up their teams.

Conclusion - This interview process really disappointed me. I was told to do research on the company, which I did. We spent the majority of the interviews speaking about my sales experience and asking them what they look for in a sales rep. I then spent a good amount of time giving them several examples as to why my previous experience was relevant to what they were looking for in a candidate. The last 2 directors I met seemed excited to move forward with me, and told me they would be in contact. However, the first person I met with was in quite a rush, and I got the feeling before I even said a word that he didn't like me very much.

I ended getting a call 2 days later telling me they would not be moving forward with me. Their explanation was that I didn't do my research (which I did), and I didn't spend long enough talking about AdRoll. This is really a phony reason not to hire someone. If they wanted to know if I did my research, they would have asked me more questions about the company. And they certainly wouldn't have been in a rush. It was extremely disappointing since I have a great sales background and was really excited about the opportunity.

I followed up, asking all the directors to allow me to give a presentation on the company's product if that was indeed the reason I was not hired. They respectfully declined my offer, which really told me at that point that I was not hired for a reason that they were not telling me. For a company that prides itself on transparency, there really was none. They used a poor excuse not to hire me.

Sadly enough, I noticed a month later they hired an ex-co-worker of mine for the position. And to be quite honest.. my performance was much much better than his at our previous company we worked with. It was almost to the point that it was comical to see on Linkedin. Every employeer has their reasons I assume.. I just never found out what that was.

To this day, I really don't know why they didn't move forward with me and it's rather annoying. When a company has a legitimate reason not to hire you, that is definitely understandable. But there was certainly another reason, that I was never told.

Interview Questions
    • None. All straight-forward.. 1) What makes a good sales exec? 2) Who is adroll and who do we compete with? 3) How have you been successful in your previous roles? 4) What do you like to do outside of work.

Was BARELY asked about AdRoll as a company.

View Answer

Marketing Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AdRoll in February 2014.

UPDATE: After reading this review, AdRoll actually contacted me to request feedback about my interview process. I suppose that the review is specific enough that they were able to identify my unique experience. The recruiter has since left the company (I won't speculate) but I spoke with the hiring manager again and had a very pleasant, professional, and productive conversation about my experience and was able to offer suggestions on how to improve the recruiting experience for others. The hiring manager does appear to take feedback seriously and I was impressed that she / AdRoll cared enough to follow up with me. I applaud her for doing so. I have changed my review from "negative" to "neutral" as a result, and I would certainly recommend this particular hiring manager to others.

Applied online. Was contacted by a recruiter several days later to set up a phone screen. Had a very nice conversation the recruiter via phone a week after I had applied (although she called me at the wrong time of day... an hour before we were supposed to speak), things went well, and so she and her scheduler set up a phone screen for me with the hiring manager for the next week.

The hiring manager never called on the day I was supposed to speak with her, and so I emailed the recruiter and her scheduler, telling them that I never connected with the hiring manager and that I would be available for a rescheduled call over the next several days. Several days pass and I hear nothing back. I email again, this time providing specific times that I will be available... several days pass, and again I receive no response. Finally, I emailed the recruiter and asked if they were still hiring for the position and if my application was still being considered. The recruiter responds, apologizes and blames her scheduler for the lack of communication (she thought that her scheduler had already rescheduled me) and tells me that the hiring manager had been sick (would have been nice to know that on the day I was originally scheduled to interview), but that the hiring manager would still like to speak with me. However, the hiring manger is now out of town, so the call won't be able to take place until the next week. Fine.

I finally speak with the hiring manger on a Monday (ten days after the initial call was scheduled) and we have a VERY good conversation. At the end of the call, she tells me that she wants me to come in for an on-site interview, but that she'd prefer it if I came in that week since there are currently other candidates interviewing on-site. I tell her that's fine, and that I will wait for the recruiter to contact me to schedule something. On Thursday afternoon, the recruiter still hasn't contacted me to schedule the on-site, and so I email her. I receive an email back from the recruiter on Friday afternoon, again apologizing for the delay, explaining that another candidate, (who was apparently an internal referral and was fast-tracked) had just interviewed that day and that the hiring manager was going to move forward with him/her, thus ending my application!

If a company is going to "ding" me because I lack the qualifications/experience for a role, that's fine. What's not fine is if I'm dinged because a recruiting department & hiring manager can't coordinate their schedules and my application falls through the cracks. I really did enjoy speaking with both the recruiter and the hiring manager, however, I also believe that this section of AdRoll has serious communication / coordination issues, and that may be a reflection of the company as a whole (I don't know... just guessing). I would consider the company again under the right circumstances, but I can't recommend AdRoll to friends / colleagues due to this experience.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. General background questions, and asked how I would approach marketing at AdRoll.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at AdRoll.

They move fast. Phone Screen involved an unexpected test on a shared screen. I enjoyed it even though I was unprepared for it. I was invited for on site interviews with 3 people. Everyone I spoke with was pleasant and down to earth. I was informed soon after of their decision not to extend an offer.

Interview Questions
    • They ran through recent problems that they were working on.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at AdRoll.

Sent in an application via referral. Was contacted by a recruiter soon after. Phone interview was standard and very quick (15-20 minutes). They asked me to explain my previous experiences as well as explain what AdRoll does. They sent out some specific suggestions about preparing for the interview - mainly to know as much as you can about what AdRoll does.

I came in for an interview, met with three people - two sales leads and a sales manager. The interviews were pretty standard but a lot of it came down to how well I understood the Ad-tech industry and what were AdRoll's value propositions. They also asked a few questions to see whether I could analyze data efficiently.

I was called back the next day and invited back for a 2nd round of interviews. That was a very short process to gauge my interest level and to get to know me on a more personal level.

I was contacted the next day and given an offer. They move pretty quick here. I was contacted on Monday, hired by Friday.

Overall, great communication and treated very well throughout the process.

Interview Questions
    • Explain what AdRoll does. What makes us different from the competition?   Answer Question

Customer Success Interview

I had 1 phone interview and 2 onsite interviews with adroll. Everyone in the office was extremely friendly. They had me interview with the client services team there. Discussed basic fluffy questions (you're on an island and you have to bring one item etc…) I also had an interview with their CEO which was a treat. If nothing else, I learned a lot about the industry.

My final in person interview was a 15 minute powerpoint presentation on any topic.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any particularly demanding questions. You should go in with some familiarity with ad tech. (i.e. know what CPM stands for)   Answer Question

Software Engineer - New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AdRoll in October 2013.

I was looking for companies to apply to and I found AdRoll on a couple "promising companies" lists. Ad-tech companies tend to work on problems that match my interests (AI, Big Data, back-end systems) so I applied.

A recruiter contacted me almost immediately and we set up a quick phone screen where we talked about my interests and the company. Following that were two technical phone screens with engineers. My first phone screen was given by a software engineer and involved coding on a collaborative editor (stypi/collabedit). My second phone screen was given by a data scientist and covered streaming algorithms for sampling and analysis (no real coding, we just talked).

After the Technical screens I got a call from the CEO and we had a brief chat about the company (including a short technical question) and then they flew me out to SF. I had 4 onsite technical interviews where I was asked about algorithms and system design. All the interviewers were really laid back and refreshingly candid when I asked questions about the company.

At the end of the day the CEO took me out for lunch and let me ask him questions about the company. I didn't know much about start-ups so I asked about equity and valuations and AdRoll’s strategy/competitors and such. It was really cool to hear the CEO’s perspective on things.

That same night I got a call from my recruiter saying they’d like to give me an offer. I was very impressed with the company and the people I talked to and the offer was competitive so I decided to accept.

Interview Questions
    • (Backend) How does MapReduce work? (from a system perspective? from an algorithmic perspective?)   Answer Question

Delight Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at AdRoll in September 2013.

Phone-screen interview was standard. Asked questions regarding what AdRoll does, what is retargeting, what your current job is like and if I had any questions myself. Be confident and do your research and you can get past this round.

Made it to the second round where I came into the San Francisco office to meet with the Delight team. This process took two hours and I met with four different individuals who asked all sorts of questions. For the second round, be prepared to talk in depth about your current/most recent job, retargeting, where you see the online advertising industry going, and competitors. I was asked several brain teaser questions as well (If I gave you a brick what would you do with it? If you found $5000 what would you do with it? You're the CEO of a professional sports team, how do you improve? etc.)

Made it to the third final round where they ask you to prepare a 20 minute Powerpoint presentation about something you're passionate about and how it relates to career goals. Before your presentation, you will meet with the heads of the delight team for final interview questions.

Great company, cool people, great product. I didn't end up getting the offer, but this company is highly competitive. Tech industry experience helps, especially in customer service. Good luck guys, they're growing and hiring!

Interview Questions
    • Let's say you're given a brick, what are you going to do with it?   Answer Question

Delight Specialist Interview