Adchemy

Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Success Manager Interview

Customer Success Manager
Foster City, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Adchemy in October 2013.

Interview Details – My interview experience at Adchemy was one of the worst and most disrespectful in my professional life. Allow me to explain what happened in some detail.

I Initially had a phone interview with them for the position of Customer Success Manager. Shortly after they emailed me back to come down for an in person interview. It took several days of back and forth emailing to nail down a time with them where I was to speak with 6 different employees for a total of 3 hours. As this would take most of the day, I ended up take the day off from work to go down for it. I should have done my research better before agreeing to come down.

First they were 45 minutes late to even starting the interview. I waited patiently in the room and was told several times who I was to meet was just finishing up a meeting. Eventually I met with someone who asked me a few decent questions and other random ones like "What is your favorite color".

He left and I waited for 15 more minutes before speaking with the next person. He was very brief and seemed genuinely uninterested in being there. I answered his questions best I could and even asked him more about the company and team structure before he left after 15 minutes.

I then waited for 10 minutes before I spoke with the next team member who was pleasant enough and answered my questions well.

At this point I waited around for 15 more minutes for the next interviewer. Instead someone from HR came in and told me they were terminating the interview at once. When i asked why she told me the duties of this job had actually changed recently and I was no longer qualified for the position. However, they felt it would had been rude to not bring me down for the interview anyways and thought there might be a slight chance I might meet them.

In a very real sense they completely waste my time and their time by having me interview for a position that essentially no longer existed. On top of all that no question asked to me even related to the new job duties and I was not told of the changing nature of the position until the interview was ended by HR.

Interview Question – No question was particularly difficult, it just turns out they were interviewing me for a position that no longer existed while hiring for a different job. They asked me no questions related to the new position only the old job that no longer existed.   Answer Question

Senior Manager, Business Development Interview

Senior Manager, Business Development
Foster City, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Adchemy.

Interview Details – Thorough interview with multiple teams. Examples of past experience and success very important

Negotiation Details – Negotiation Process was fair

Very Easy Interview

Scientist Interview

Scientist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Adchemy.

Interview Details – they were moving really fast overall. short informal meeting with ceo, interview next week and offer shortly afterwards.

Reason for Declining – good people and I like the idea too. but I wasn't impressed with the people (potential teammates) interviewing me.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Foster City, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Adchemy in April 2011.

Interview Details – Hiring committee is dumb and awful in follow up
The questions are light, standard Algos and Java questions

Interview Question – Can't think of any   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy

Director of Product Management Interview

Director of Product Management
Redwood City, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Adchemy in July 2012.

Interview Details – After a phone interview with the HR Director, I was scheduled to come to talk to about 7-8 folks the next week. The HR Director seemed to be very aggressive in courting me based on my experience.
The day of the interview I met with 7 different team members - Product Managers, Directors, VP, R&D head, Engineering managers, and HR. The strategy of the company seemed to be in the process of change (again!). In this age of cloud based software, their systems would only work when Adchemy sales team would use the local tool with their customers on the phone, and would not allow customers to use the tool directly.

The most fun conversation was with HR. After giving me a review of the day (8 hours of interviewing), she mentioned that this was the first step to warm up. The next step would include a more difficult round of interviews (over 10 hours), and if I succeeded, there would be a final round of interviews (2-3 hours) to seal the "deal". Spending 20+ hours in interviewing is unheard of, even at Google. The HR Director promised getting back to me in a few days or the following week.

Two weeks after the interview, and I had heard nothing. I emailed the HR Director, but never heard back. I had multiple offers waiting, and never waited for my "next" round.

Advise to HR: If you are courting candidates at a senior level, be conscious of their time and atleast send out a thanks, but not interested email once you make a call. The experience soured me regarding Adchemy, and I will probably never consider them again.

Interview Question – How will you deal with R&D roadmaps who work on 6-12 month research projects v/s delivering constant value to your customers?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Product Manager, Search Marketing Interview

Senior Product Manager, Search Marketing
Foster City, CA

The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Adchemy in November 2011.

Interview Details – Got the interview through a referral. Phone interviews went great, so was invited to come onsite. Met with a variety of roles in this small company, including everyone I interviewed with on the phone (product managers, sales manager), dev manager, a dev and even the CEO himself. It was hackday that day, so everyone was running around trying to make it, so some interviews were only a few minutes long or there was confusion about who was next in line to interview because there were last-minute changes (but in an agile tech world, this happens sometimes). The last one was with an HR manager, who was quite intimidating and very unwelcoming, almost questioning why I had come to interview at a company out of state and etc., seemed out of touch with the high-tech world or the position I was looping for. I thought the interview overall went very well, and the company's vision and goals were very clear. Would have said yes to an offer. However, never heard back, to my surprise, considering the time investment, my overall positive impression of the company and the interview, and the fact that it would have been good to get some feedback since I engaged with the company through somebody who does business with them and it left a sour impression.

Interview Questions

• Here is a magic box that does algorithmic signal matching [hinting at the Adchemy "secret sauce" intent matching algo]. What would be the ranking logic for two ads that have the exact same bidding and reputation (relevance)?   View Answer
  • What is the difference between a product manager and an engineer in solving a user pain point?   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Foster City, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Adchemy in July 2011.

Interview Details – While my interview with Adchemy was average, I was beyond frustrated with the complete lack of professionalism shown by the hiring manager and recruiter during the process. As is the norm, I was interviewing with multiple companies, and as Adchemy was somewhat of a "late add" to my list, I was up-front in the beginning of the process about my needs to complete it as quickly as possible. That did not prepare me for the fact that I got absolutely NO feedback from the recruiter (who you would think would want to interface with the interviewee in order to sell the company) or the hiring manager. I repeatedly reached out via email to both them and another HR contact I had spoken with and received complete radio silence -- nothing positive or negative, nothing at all.

I finally accepted another offer and only then, 10 days after my interview, when letting these three people know I was no longer interested, did someone respond. It was bizarre and exceedingly amateurish on their part.

Interview Question – standard algorithmic questions   Answer Question

Management Interview

Management
San Mateo, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Adchemy in July 2011.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview with the hiring manager that went quite well. Questions about technical background and management capability.
Two weeks later on site meeting with several members of their staff, including possible reports and the hiring manager. Each meeting taking approx. 30-45 minutes. Again questions about technical background. Did a good job explaining the tasks and challenges associated with the position.
Overall, pleasant experience. However, their HR person was not available and there was no follow up from them, despite requests by email and phone. Given the time that was spent for the interviews, this leaves a bad impression.

Interview Question – What's your agenda for the first 3 months?   Answer Question

Analyst, SEM Client Services Interview

Analyst, SEM Client Services

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Adchemy.

Interview Details – Was referred to Adchemy by a friend. Had two sets of phone interviews - one with the hiring manager and one with the head of client services. Both focused primarily on my background in SEM. Was brought in for a set of interviews with 5 people, mostly manager and director level members of the client services team, followed by one with an HR manager. Each interview took about 40 minutes, with questions include some general behavioral questions and many case study questions. Was invited back for a second round of interviews (also with 5 people) the following week, and had an offer two days later. Overall, the process was a fairly positive experience - the people I met with were very friendly and intelligent, and the company seemed to have a promising product direction. Would have liked to interview with more analyst level members.

Interview Question – Numerous case studies asking how I would prioritize optimization techniques in specific scenarios and outline my strategy and approach.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Adchemy in September 2012.

Interview Details – Adchemy sent me an email that ask for an phone interview. I talked to an Adchemy recruiter for less than 15 minutes and she told me that it was going to be another technical phone interview about general programming. I talked to a technical person. He asked me a few HTML, CSS questions. It was not even any challenge because it was very simple and basic stuffs.

I passed the phone interviews and the business is getting serious. I did first Skype Video Interview since I was not in California. The interviewer let me drive the interview and it became a show n' tell session. Obviously it went pretty well and the interview process moved on to the next steps. I met 6 other interviewers via Skype Video in 3 days. Then I got an offer as promised.

I was not in California. There were lots of remaining questions what I had for Adchemy and California. Adchemy HR scheduled 3 Skype video chat to go over all the important info, emailed me all the needed paperwork/booklet, answered all of my questions based on their knowledge in the time manner. The whole recruiting process took about 7 business days from the very first introduction email. It was short and super efficient.

One of the interviewer heard that I had never been to California. He introduced one of his co-worker to me via Email. I told to him on the phone and he gave me lots of helpful tips for preparing to go to California. That was a very nice touch for the whole experience.
Overall, it was a great to work with more than 10 people from Adchemy and all of them provides extraordinary experience.

Interview Question – Algorithm questions -- Calculate speed and time 4 different ants could meet in the center of the square. It was out of my tech stack and it was not even related with what I was doing. ( I knew that all of big companies ask those Algorithm questions to test how fast your brain could run.). The interviewer was super nice. He gave me some hints to help me finish, encouraged me to join the team, shared lots of great activities/inside news about Adchemy.   Answer Question

Worked for Adchemy? Contribute to the Community!