Adconion

Relevance Date Difficulty

Campaign Manager Interview

Campaign Manager
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Adconion in June 2012.

Interview Details – Multiple interviews with multiple interviewees. They even took me to eat because I was coming from out of town.

Questions include how many ways I can use a paper clip, how much knowledge I had about the industry (NOT on the website), how much I knew about the company/executive team and if I could make a supply/demand graph!

Interview Question – The questions weren't terribly difficult. The most difficult question was about slicing a cake 3 times into 8 equal pieces.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Entry level job perks/benefits are pretty set in stone, but it sounds like a great company with additional perks.

E-mail Marketing Analyst Interview

E-mail Marketing Analyst
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Adconion in March 2012.

Interview Details – Very unprofessional experience. After seeing a monster ad and applying online I was contacted for a phone screening weeks later. We scheduled a phone screening for 4 days later. During that time I received 8 more e-mails requesting a phone screening (probably intended for other people) and then an apology note.

The day of the phone screening (Friday afternoon, during working hours) I set aside some time, got home from work early and studied up on the position and the company. I got a call 20 minutes before the time to tell me that she couldn't do it... because she was on her way to a friend's birthday dinner. And "didn't see it on her calendar." I was pretty miffed but left a friendly and understanding message in response.

We reschedule for a time on Monday while I'm at work. After the three day gap I needed to prepare yet again. The recruiter calls me 10 minutes before the time we agreed on. Those 10 minutes were going to be used to ask if I could use the conference room. I ran in. So then, in the middle of the interview, I actually had to be asked to leave by my boss.

Despite that, the interview went well and at the end the recruiter said she'd give me a great report, that I was easy to talk to. She said I'd hear back about interviews that week. I heard nothing.

I then sent her a friendly e-mail reiterating my interest and asking how the hiring process was coming along. I heard nothing back again.

Then I check the company application site and see that after I sent that e-mail, my application status was changed to "Not Selected." That was all.

I've never been so inconsiderately or unprofessionally treated by an HR person in my life. If that's any reflection on this company's attitude in general, keep that in mind when deciding to apply to or accept an offer from them. Fortunately a few weeks later I received a better job at a marketing consulting company.

I will definitely keep this experience in mind when recommending future clients to agencies.

Interview Questions

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Adconion in June 2010.

Interview Details – Loved being challenged on the interview. It proved there were smart, motivated people in the company who wanted to be surrounded by the same. The interview very much inflated the company with small things such as the culture and office benefits, which are minimal.

Interview Question – What are you weak at?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate enough. They gave me the amount I asked for, but I didn't realize this was lower than other people in the same position. I would recommend asking for salary ranges of current employees, and definitely doing more salary research than I did.

Very Difficult Interview

BI Engineer Interview

BI Engineer
Santa Monica, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Adconion in January 2011.

Interview Details – I had a good phone interview and the hiring manager brought me in to talk again. I met with one business person which went great, and then met with the hiring manager. He then proceeded to ask me the exact same questions that he asked me over the phone. It was kind of unprofessional because he didn't remember ever talking to me. Next, he asked me some technical questions and then because my answers were not his answer, he proceeded to tell me my answers were incorrect.

A couple examples of questions. What type of scripting language are you familiar with? He knew that my Unix skills were not the high point of my resume, so I started to explain my knowledge of PHP. He responded annoyed, cut me off, and told me PHP is not a scripting language. Funny, first thing after the interview, I googled PHP, and well you know what it said.

Next, he asked me what I would do if a report was taking a long time to run. I then started to explain how I would evaluate the SQL, and then find out what part of the SQL was running slow. He then said, no, let's say its not the SQL, what would you do? So I said, I would have to talk to a DBA and research possible missing indexes or something on the database side. The manager was not impressed and said , no you should look at the previous data loads and see if there was any abnormal loading of data. He also seemed surprised that a data base would not have indexes built for certain queries.

Anyways, this position looks to still be open. When I interviewed in January, they said they would probalby be purchasing MicroStrategy in a week. It's April, if you are interviewing for this and they still have not purchased the software, you may want to ask about this.

Interview Question – What type of scripting language are you familiar with?   Answer Question

Email Marketing Analyst Interview

Email Marketing Analyst

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Adconion.

Interview Details – Receive a phone interview, set up physical interview, interviewers were late to the interview, asked the same questions as the phone interview.

Interview Question – What position do you want if you can have any within this company.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

The process took a day - interviewed at Adconion in April 2010.

Interview Details – Standard technical interview process. Went through resume, then some technical questions both knowledge-based and problem-solving based.

Interview Question – What is mmap used for   View Answer

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Adconion in August 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted by an admin assistant from the company after I sent in my application to set up an interview for the position listed on the website. Since the position was in HR, my interview was with the VP of Human Resources. My interview was in person and one on one. It was by far the most unprofessional interview I have ever been in. He was wearing jeans, and only asked questions about my resume. He said me if I was from another state outside of California since I earned my BS in another state. He seemed disappointed to know I was orginially from California. He told me he likes people that are living away from their families because it creates a greater sense of community within the company. He asked me about my college GPA, which was a 3.1, and he grilled me on what classes I got As in and what classes I got Cs in. He asked me about what kind of worker I was. I discribed my work ethic and then he made a completely unprofessional comment about my gpa saying, "really, because that's not what your gpa says about your work ethic, why don't you tell me the truth." He asked a couple other questions after that and then talked about himself and his life for an another 15 minutes. He then told me that no such position as the one I applied for on the website was actually available and he was just interviewing to find interesting potential people. I sent him an email the next day saying I no longer wanted to be considered. If this VP is at all representative of the company I wanted nothing to do with it.

Digital Analyst Interview

Digital Analyst

The process took a day - interviewed at Adconion in July 2010.

Interview Details – They are very focused on people who are career oriented. The VP will email you first to setup an interview. The VP calls from the New York office. It doesn't matter if you are interviewing for a position in their LA office. All the times for the phone interviews will be EST.

Interview Question – What do you know about trafficking?   Answer Question

Worked for Adconion? Contribute to the Community!