Addepar

16 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

QA Analyst Interview

QA Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Addepar.

Interview Details – After apply online one week, got response to arrange a phone interview. In the phone interview, first answered a few behavior questions. Then have an exam of technical questions. The whole process is not too long, but challenging.

Designer Interview

Designer
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Addepar in May 2010.

Interview Details – This was very early on in the company, so it most likely won't help anyone at this point. Submitted my portfolio on one of the many design-related job boards. Received a phone call from the CTO (one of two full time employees at the time) a few hours later. We chatted and it went well. Got on the call with the other cofounder / CEO a few days later. Flew down the following weekend and met them on a Monday morning. It was a very nice visit, really liked everyone I spoke with (CEO, CTO, Director of Engineering, CFO, interns), had lunch and was given a ride back to the airport. By the time I got off the plane, the offer was in my inbox.

Interview Question – Dealing with any enterprise problem is difficult since it doesn't naturally fall under your domain. Having to review their work at the time without full domain knowledge was somewhat difficult.   Answer Question

Sales Ops Interview

Sales Ops
Mountain View, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Addepar in June 2014.

Interview Details – First a phone screen, few days after another phone screen. Recruiter was fast in scheduling, than a quick follow up for an on site - 5 hour 1:1 interview. Didn't get the schedule until the day prior. Went in very excited, left feeling like people were worn out and overworked. My sense was of a tense organization, even though the perks sounded really great. Got a canned email response from a recruiter as to why no offer.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Client Solutions Associate Interview

Client Solutions Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Addepar.

Interview Details – Process was good overall, they really cared about financial investment knowledge/background for this role, which i didn't really anticipate based on job description, so wasn't really prepared to answer. Everyone was pretty clear and logical that i talked to, was a pretty easy flowing conversation. Phone interview was 30 minutes. Asked about experience working with large data sets for data integration responsibilities, and my technical background, but overall it's not clear how much tech skills really matter -- financial back ground really seemed paramount.

Interview Question – How would you invest $10M dollars?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Addepar in October 2013.

Interview Details – Process took three weeks.
Met recruiter on campus, had on campus interview. Within a few days I was told that I would be advancing to the next phase. Got flown out, had 5 on-site interviews and a product demo. The interviews were challenging, but not unusually hard. However, despite answering everything, I did not get an offer.

Interview Question – Deep copy of a linked list, with an extra pointer to a random node.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Manager Interview

Manager
Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Addepar in July 2013.

Interview Details – After applying on the website I was contacted by HR to have a phone interview. The phone interview involved how I found out about Addepar and a review of my work experience. Shortly after I was asked to come onsite for an interview. Since this wasn't a technical role, the questions revolved more around my financial industry experience and problems I had seen and solved with financial software. Throughout I could tell my personality and ability to work well under pressure and with unclear mandates was being evaluated. I have a lot of experience doing both so this was no problem for me.

I found everyone to be very professional and intelligent. I do believe Addepar will be a successful company and for the right person a great place to work. However I noticed I was the oldest person in the entire building and that Mountain View is largely comprised of people from the millennial generation. At no point did I feel I was being discriminated against for being older but I did question if I could fit in or work the long hours that are typical of a startup. Not because I don't have the energy but simply do not want to do it. Many start ups have perks like onsite food, sport teams, yoga, laundry etc so that your entire life revolves around the work experience. Having worked for startups before I know there can be pressure to do all-nighters 'for the good of the team' For me a job is just a job, not an extension of my social life and after about 8 or 9 hours its just face time not productivity. I work hard, but believe strongly in balancing work with time outside of work. Let me reiterate this is my opinion based on past experience and reading reviews of life at Addepar and talking to some of my industry contacts. Not based on having worked at Addepar so this is just speculation on my part.

For these reasons I was actually relieved that I was not offered the position after reconsidering my career and life priorities when faced with the prospect of joining another start up.

Interview Question – I found all of the questions very easy (and fair) no curve balls like how would you weigh the world. More like things like explaining quantitative metrics and how reports should be built. I think they were impressed with my grasp of finance and financial software but probably correctly questioned my passion for working long hours and ability to be groomed into the ethos they are building.   Answer Question

Senior Technical Position Interview

Senior Technical Position

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Addepar.

Interview Details – Had first a 30min with the COO which was very pleasant. - Mostly spoke about my previous experience in the industry. - Then he set up a new interview with the Director of Engineering.
I was told that there would be a coding interview section which surprised me as I was not seeking a developer position. When I double-checked they offered to drop the part but I thought at this time it might be more beneficial to include it.
We talked for about 10min about my experiences in my previous job and then went to the coding interview. - after 20min he stopped politely.
I later figured out that I over thought the coding question. - He wanted the simple straight-forward solution, not the one I took. (Although I later timed both versions and the one I presented ran 8 times as fast)

Interview Question – write the 'wc' unix utility   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Addepar in January 2013.

Interview Details – The recruiting team seemed quite eager to reach out and accommodate my schedule when arranging the interview. Overall I felt that the culture was very welcome. They seem to place particular emphasis on speed - a right answer isn't enough! They also want to know why you are interested int he company and what makes you a good candidate.

Interview Question – Link children of BST to siblings   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Addepar.

Interview Details – Had two screening phone interviews, both were technical in nature and similar to the kind of questions they had been asking at Palantir. The on-site interview is about 4 rounds of hour long technical questions. They focused on different things, I had one code challenge, one data structures and design, one algorithms, and another which was like a math/puzzle question.

Interview Question – Nothing that unexpected, I had been told they focus on graph algorithms. Not every question, but many. That was true, many of the questions were about graphs and optimizing graph traversal algorithms.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Operations Analyst Interview

Operations Analyst
Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Addepar.

Interview Details – 2 phone screens. Discussed hedge funds and different wealth management strategies

Interview Question – "If you were building a report for the limited partner of a private equity firm, what are the key metrics you would want to show them?"   Answer Question

Worked for Addepar? Contribute to the Community!