Adlucent

Updated Nov 3, 2014
Updated Nov 3, 2014

3.2

Search Engine Marketing Specialist Interview

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Adlucent.

Apply online - fill out an application, take an IQ test
    HR calls and then books you an appointment with the People & Culture team for two weeks out where they interview you (and several others back to back) for about 15 minutes (out in the open may I add *not very professional*). You then go into a room with a proctor where you have to take another little exam without a calculator or use any outside source. You also share this same room with all the other people who are interviewing too. These questions take about an hr or so to finish.
    You then have to do a weekend assignment...

Data Scientist Interview

Initial interview was an HR screen, which was fine. One of the interviewers was very knowledgeable about Cormac McCarthy, which is impressive.

Then I received their "take home test."

Question 1 was a Bernouilli Test question. It rarely comes up for me, so I had to dust off a textbook. No big deal.

Question 2 involved a triple- or quadruple-pivoted time-series dataset (a pain to unpivot and analyze) and then, and I hope that I remember this correctly, they asked for a SINGLE PREDICTION AT t (x+1). Are you kidding me?? Time Series analysis is a pain as-it-is, and then you're evaluating prediction error on a single observation? Lame.

Question #2 could have been the entire test, but there was more.

After 8 hours of answering the questions as a Data Scientist should (cautiously, in my opinion), I decided to cut my losses and prepare for my next interview.

It was an eye-opening experience (I'm new to online ad data), and it was helpful to learn. But I found the test excessive, and its heart in the wrong place.

For whatever it's worth. Overall, I remember things positively.

Interview Questions
    • Predict a single observation of a 100 point Time Series.   View Answer

Client Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Adlucent in October 2014.

Application: Application is online and it's a length process. You can read about how important the culture of the company is on their website, so they have you take a personality-like test to see if you would fit in their culture. There's no right or wrong but I'm assuming you would want to answer as you are vs. how you think they would want you to answer. After all, you don't want to work in an environment that you forced your way into.

Interview: Next step was an interview with their People and Culture Team. Again, they are just getting a feel for you. They don't ask too many questions about the position or what you have achieved. The focus here is to see the type of person, leader etc you are. They ask questions like: the last book you read, if you had a million dollars what would you do, what type of manager are you, what type of person do you work best with...etc. Then you have to do a similar 'test' to the application process. **Read their website, they ask you questions about their company!

Take Home Project: If you 'pass' the interview they send you a 'take home' test to do over t he weekend. Mine included 2 scenarios that would pertain to the position I was interviewing for. This is when they see if you have the knowledge for the position.

SEM Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Adlucent in March 2014.

The interview process was odd. It started with an in-person 15 minute conversation with someone from HR followed by a paper quiz that took 1-2 hours. The 1x1 was meant to determine whether the candidate would be a culture fit. The questions that were asked were not related to work or the position at all. The quiz (which included a proctor) consisted of questions to solve patterns and math problems. I don't understand how either was relevant to the position or how the decision was made.

Interview Questions
    • Joe is taller than Bill, Bill is taller than David, how old is your mom.   Answer Question

Client Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Adlucent in December 2013.

I applied online and was contact the next day by another Client Success Manager. A phone interview was set up with another Client Success Manager for two days after that. The phone interview was pleasant and it seemed like a good fit. The company sounds very understanding and has a great appreication for work life balance. I was told I would receive a follow up email and that never came. I reached out twice and never heard anything back. It is very unprofessional to not respond to any outreach. The least they could have done was let the interviewee know there are other more qualified candidates.

Interview Questions
    • What is something your current job would miss about you?   Answer Question

Paid Search Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Adlucent.

Pretty ridiculous. My interview consisted of a discussion with the CEO, in which he pretty much just talked about how awesome their company is financially and how they have no competitors (actually not true). The whole place reeked of undeserved arrogance, especially from a run-of-the-mill PPC management company.

They also give you one of those stupid riddle quiz things. "Jane is older than Sam but younger than Sally, so how far is the moon?" or something like that, as if that can really determine someone's intelligence, work ethic or ability to manage campaigns effectively. Only companies that think they are smart places give out those quizzes.

Interview Questions

Question should be phrased: Why would I accept?

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Adlucent in April 2012.

First there was a short personality test online. Then I went into the office and interviewed with 6 other candidates at the same time. This was different because there were people with Masters and Bachelors vying for the same position. After the CEO talked with us and opened the floor for questions, we took a logic test and then had a one-on-one interview with the HR manager.