Adobe Scientist Interview Questions

Updated Jun 6, 2015

Research Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Adobe in February 2015.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me and was very flexible with setting up date for a technical phone interview. The interview was for 45 mins. The interviewer introduced himself and asked some questions about my research. This was followed by a programming question.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked me to code an iterative and recursive solution to a simple mathematical series problem and then asked me to improve the complexity of the recursive solution.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Adobe.

Interview

I sent resume from career fair on campus, and the recruiter reached me back in two days. Then After a phone call from recruiter we assigned a phone interview a week later (Jan 22nd). I have not heard back from them yet. Still in progress.

Interview Questions

• Generate all valid parentheses pairs of a given number of parentheses.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Adobe (San Jose, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process includes a phone screening, two phone interviews and finally an onsite interview. The basic phone screening was just causal talk with the recruiter about my background and the job's responsibility, nothing technical. Then the two phone interviews were both technical. One emphasized on statistics, another one focused on coding. The onsite interview was a little longer compared to other top companies. I was interviewed by 7 people back to back, from engineers, data scientists to VP. The interviewers were nice and professional. The overall experience is great. Adobe were the most generous company in term of travel compensation. They offered nice Hilton Hotel in downtown San Jose (walking distance to the interview site) as accommodation, $100 daily reimbursement for meals, and of course all the transportation expenses are covered. You will enjoy dealing with them!

Interview Questions

• I cannot reveal the questions I got asked. But here's some that has very similar flavor: 1) Check if an integer is a palindrome (do not convert the integer to string) 2) Given 2 sorted arrays of integers, code to find a number from each array such that their sum are closest to some integer K? 3) What is the degree of freedom for lasso?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Adobe (San Jose, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online, had a couple phone screen (background chat & coding) with the hiring manager and a machine learning scientist, went onsite to San Jose office. In case you haven't heard about it, Adobe is also in the marketing cloud business now. And so that's probably why they're hiring a bit more of people in data science. I was interviewed with one of such team. The overall scheduling and interviews are well arranged. A mixture of coding, statistics and modeling problems are tested. I wish there was timely feedback after all the interviews were done.

Interview Questions

• some high level idea of the real-world-ish problems they're solving   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Adobe (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Recruited by a colleague with whom I worked at a previous employer. Initial phone screen by hiring manager, followed by a full day of in-person interviews, 30-45 minutes each, 9 total, including the head of HR and the Director of Engineering (reported to COO). They bought me lunch on site and gave me a tour of the campus.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions and none that stood out as difficult. Pretty standard behavior, goals and strength/weaknesses type questions. Some programming quiz type questions, like, describe how you would synchronize the classic one-lane bridge problem: What's the shared resource? How would you make the scheduler fair? What data structure would you use to maintain the arrival order of cars waiting to enter the bridge?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I'm a tough negotiator and so were they. I asked for the moon in salary, they, very professionally, said no without any beating around the bush, which I appreciated, and countered with an overall compensation package, which included profit sharing bonuses, equity, and 401k matching.

Computer Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Adobe.

Interview

contacted by recruiter via linked in. had 3 interviews, mostly average questions about pass experiences and what not. there is a bit of coding but not too hard.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Adobe (San Francisco, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

I saw an ad on LinkedIn for another position, but decided I didn't like the work. A few weeks later, the recruiter contacted me regarding this position. Did a phone interview with hiring manager and was asked to come in for the interview. The face to face interview included individual sessions with engineering staff, QE and managers.

Interview Questions

• General JavaScript questions including scope, closures, etc.   Answer Question
    • Architect an ecommerce payment gateway.   Answer Question
    • Write a fibonacci method and explain why the recursive option is dangerous in JS.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to get them to increase initial salary offer. They also increased stock (REI) grant, but would not budge on cash signing bonus.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Adobe (San Jose, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by Recruiter in Feb-2011 and she arranged phone interview with Flash Access group, the manager spoke with me for 30 minutes and later they arranged 1:1 interview with 7 engineers/leads/managers one after the other (each 45 minutes), It went pretty well and I was called for second round where I just met with the Senior Manager of the group for 45 minutes, he asked me basic questions and then HR person spoke about benefits and policies and how they would move forward. The Senior manager said it would take 2-3 weeks to make decision and everything is POSITIVE, nothing wrong with the interview or my skills so I was very positive, on the same day HR lady called me and discussed if I have other offers and salary etc. I gave all the details and she said we need to fasten the process and get you on board as soon as possible, she took 45 minutes to explain policies and benefits once again. At that time I thought it would take 1 week's time to receive final offer. But after a week HR lady called and said that there is one urgent higher management meeting and that would decide about this position, meanwhile I kept my other offers on hold to see what happens here again after few days she called and asked to wait for few more days. I kept my fingers crossed even though I sensed something fishy in this matter but did not ask anything to HR. Later after 1 week I asked as I had to make decision on my other offers and she replied that sorry that management has decided to move this position to some other group in SF and she said they are too bummed about this and blah blah.... I am not disappointed because technically I cleared the interview and almost got the offer but the part which pisses me off is, how can such a huge corporate make such a lame decision and waste candidates time for 2 1:1 interview (of 7-8 hours total where I took day off for an interview) and the height is, they don't tell you the outcome of the disastrous management decision unless you ask them. The management and HR ppl are jerk in Adobe. And worst part is, this process took well over 2 months since HR contacted initially. Even the interview questions were so lame, I was wondering how come Adobe employees ask such a straight forward (even school pass-out can answer) type questions for 7+ yrs exp person for Senior Computer Scientist position. Isn't it pathetic. One of the engineer asked me to reverse a linked list, come on give me a break, this question is not even asked to recent school pass outs. I am disappointed because I wasted my time and did not get satisfaction of solving difficult problems in interview (because all questions were piece of cake). Hope this review helps. Pardon me for the typo errors. :)

Interview Questions

• No difficult question asked   1 Answer

Senior Computer Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Adobe in September 2011.

Interview

Initially when I applied , I thought of a huge brand name and good challenging work, Here the story goes they will call for written test, conduct 4-5 rounds of interview and at the end when it comes to salary they give like peanuts, Well its not there fault too. the company is just 3-4 billion dollar company and recently they were in news as there profit has reduced because of compensation factor Which make us to think a lot. What made me angry was the fact that they should have discussed the salary thing in the first place rather than wasting individual time. If you are thinking of its like a google company think again, (Seeing there revenue number its not at all justified), its better to go for yahoo,linkedin and amazon and many other more in the market better than adobe. This is the feedback from my friend, Mostly adobe wants all the IIT folks to work in there company for campus recruit, but here is the catch, they will give you 10lac pa , but out of that 30-40% is stock option which u can encash after 3-4 years. I remember my company,which recruiting from IIT-mumbai and they pay much better than adobe and no trap like stock option

Interview Questions

Who will take peanuts from them.

Computer Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bucharest (Romania)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Adobe (Bucharest (Romania)) in February 2011.

Interview

The interview consists of a couple of stages. There is a phone interview, with a couple of shot technical questions. Then there are a couple of interviews on site. One of them will surely be an in-depth technical interview regarding the usual stuff - programming languages, frameworks, algorithms etc.

Interview Questions

• Given a video camera that tapes all the cars that enter a parking lot, what type of method/algorithm would you choose to obtain the registration plate for each car.   1 Answer