Adobe Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 12, 2014

3.2

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Adobe in March 2014.

The hiring process started off with a phone interview with hiring manager, and then I was invited on-site where I had face-to-face interviews with 4 engineer on the team, the recruiter and the hiring manager. The interviews were pretty straight-forward. They mostly consisted of behavioral questions regarding past experience.

Interview Questions
  • The company uses scrum for project planning; so, they asked lots of questions regarding scrum, past experience, pros/cons, etc.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Adobe

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Adobe in May 2014.

It was pretty straight forward. I had a telephone call with the computer scientist and then onsite discussion with 4 other team members. They never asked anything tough and were asking very general questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Adobe in March 2013.

Initial phone screen followed by telephone interview with the Hiring Manager. Hiring Manager was really impressed with the discussion and the second round of telephone interview with a Kid in the team. This kid has no clue as to what he was talking. Was asked by the Kid why i am applying for this position even when i have more than 14 years of experience. Later the recruiter was kind enough to call me and say i do not fit the job profile.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 9 months - interviewed at Adobe.

It was long and detailed but focused on fit with the culture and general skill. It was very good, but lengthy.

Simple.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orem, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orem, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Adobe in September 2010.

I had two onsite interviews at Adobe's Omniture campus in Orem, Utah. Their site is pretty cool; I especially like the wall in the lobby covered with plaques representing many of their high-profile customers. It immediately sets a tone that they are very proud of their customers, very customer-focused, and serious about delivering great products.
    My first interview went pretty well, didn't seem especially great but not bad. A few days afterward I was invited to come for a second interview with the manager of a software team. I left this interview feeling it went great. I thought I did really well on the technical parts of the interview and that I answered the questions asked appropriately. The position was described as a Senior Software Engineering position, but that they were looking for someone who wanted to move into a leadership role shortly, and I assured them this was exactly what I was looking for. So it seemed like everything was lined up well.
    At the end of the interview, I asked what the next steps were. The interviewer said he would have discussion with his boss (who was my first interviewer) and if they liked me they would have me come back for a couple more interviews with the team. But then he added that he had some great employees on his team that knew me and had worked with me and were giving me a high recommendation, and based on the interview we'd just had and the recommendations from his team, he already knew he was going to recommend we move to the next step.
    I left that second interview feeling pretty confident. I felt it had gone really well. And since I'd previously been offered a job at the same level some years before, it seemed likely that I would be able to do well again.
    So I waited to hear back from the recruiter who also works for Adobe in Orem. After a couple of weeks I followed up with him to ask what was happening - I pretty much figured we would be moving on in the process and was wondering what the delay was about. After a couple of tries i finally got the recruiter to reply to e-mail, where he said they had decided not to continue looking at me as a candidate.
    I of course respect their decision, but this really blew me away. I've tried to get a better explanation from the recruiter but nobody there will tell me what happened. The recruiter said he'd try to line me up with another group, but that's the last I've heard of him. I know they are still hiring and I know I am well qualified for other job openings that have come up. I cannot get the recruiter to reply to any further attempts at contact.

Ultimately I respect their decision, but that decision is completely incongruous with the way the interviews went and with what I was told at the end of my second interview. After coming to their campus on two different occasions and spending time there in interviews, I think I at least deserve an honest explanation of why, after the interviews seemingly went so well, they suddenly decided to look elsewhere.

Interview Questions
    • Write code to identify duplicate words in a list of words.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Adobe in October 2010.

I was approached by an in-house recruiter, through my LinkedIn profile. The recruiter sent me a summary job description, that piqued my interest. I also checked out Adobe's benefits, and they're roughly on par with my current company's. So I contacted her, and told I'm not actively looking, but the job seemed fun, and Adobe seems like a nice place to work for.

Then I got into a technical phone screen with the hiring mgr, which didn't seem all that technical. He was mostly concerned with my work history. I also made a point to tell him I was not actively looking to leave my current company; that Adobe contacted ME with a job that seemed worthy of discussion. That might have sold him, because I think I bombed his technical grilling. I had to admit I didn't know OpenGL (ES) that well, and we even went so far as to talk about a graphics project I did in school (a LOOOONG time ago). Morale of this story: you put something on your CV, be ready to talk about it!

So to my surprise, I get called in for a F2F interview a couple days later. I talked to their lead architect, senior manager, the hiring mgr, and a code grunt with bad BO. Well, what I THOUGHT was going to be a rather easy-going discussion about how I can meet the team's goals, turned into an all-out grilling on technical topics that were way over the top for an interview timeslice. They love their threading, with C++ and hard-core ASM.

I made my overall dissatisfaction known about the high difficulty level imposed by the team to the HR lady, and basically told her not to send me a rejection letter. In reality, I should have followed my gut instinct, and leave after talking to their architect. No sense in wasting my time there further.

In any case, I would still interview at Adobe...but I hope they'll still be around as an independent corporate entity, and not gobbled up by the Microsoft borg cube.

Interview Questions
    • How would I write a scoped mutex object? This was asked by their architect   View Answer
    • How would I design a "data-pump" queueing structure for handling the producer-consumer problem?   View Answer
    • What common ASM instructions can you think of, and can you generate the assembly output for a simple C for-loop, ex:

for(int i = 0; i < 10; i++);

Asked by the hiring mgr
        View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Moldova (Estonia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moldova (Estonia)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Adobe.

Hiring process is a bit slow, which is probably usual thing for big companies.
    Most challenging part of technical interview was related to low-level db transaction processing, java threading and concurrent issues for clustered environments.
    As I understood, algorithmic question quite necessary to answer, they just wanted to see how will I try several approaches/evaluate them.
    Overall, Id say guys were quite friendly and supportive .

Interview Questions
    • How Id check if single-linked list would end with a cycle.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Adobe in March 2011.

The interview process is cool. The interview persons will talk very friendly but make sure you are perfect while answering your interviewed questions

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Adobe in December 2009.

Nice interviewers, good environment. I was asked some questions about my background and the projects I've attended. Any my salary expectation, my ideal company, why I want to leave current position. All of the general questions. The technical interview is not difficult, I was required to write a program on write board to sort a binary tree. And explain my previous projects.

Interview Questions

Worked for Adobe? Contribute to the Community!