Advance Auto Parts

Getting the Interview

8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Interview Details – The interview process was straightforward and easy

Interview Question – N/A   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate

Toledo, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in July 2013.

Interview Details – Mine started with online, application, then panel interview with commercial sales manager, retail district manager and HR manager, questions are basic in star format. A few days after I was contacted for a ride along in the field, spent a few hours with the rep made sales calls visited retail store... This is where it gets weird. After that I was told by hiring manager that a new round of interviews would be opened to see if anyone else would qualify as well. I then received a phone call to tell me that someone did and would spend a day in the field as well. At this point I offered to spend a day in the field with a retail manager and this offer was accepted. After great feedback I was told I would be moving forward. The hr manager contacted me for my background check info and all I had to do was interview with RVP and an offer would be made. Interview with RVP was over phone and a few basic questions were asked, pretty causal. Later that day the hiring manager told me all went well and said a blessing was given for an offer. She didn't make one and instead asked me to lunch and said an offer would be given by the end. Day of lunch called and told it was cancelled and agreed to meet at a Starbucks at this time she starting interview me again and said an internal candidate expressed interest so she wanted to make sure I was the right fit. Mind you the listing was pulled and I'm in background. I was told the next day she would let me know... At this point I was told I have the job twice. Next day no phone call but an email saying no decision was made. The following Tuesday I get a phone call saying I wasn't being hired because she wanted to start a new search for someone with more experience in automotive. The following day I get a letter in the mail saying my background returned clear and was ok to start work for them.

Interview Question – Star format. Situational questions. How do you lead a team of sales reps that you have no authority over?   Answer Question

Greensboro, NC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in February 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process takes almost a full month. The final step is a panel interview.

Interview Questions

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Commercial Account Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Interview Details – Applied online. Sales Manager contacted me within a week of applying. Had a phone interview with sales manager, hr manager and regional vice president.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when a customer stopped doing business with you and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Commercial Account Manager

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in December 2011.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume to job posting. 1 month later, got an email telling me that I had been selected for a phone interview with HR. Set up a time and had phone interview. It was not difficult, HR asked questions regarding my previous experience. He pretty much went down my Resume. He then told me that he wanted to move me thru to the next process which was to have a phone interview with the Sales Manager. I received an email telling me that I had been selected to interview with the Sales Manager. Now here's the problem.....My time for the interview was set up for 9:00 am. He called me at 9:24 am and stated that something came up and apologized. He said he would call me back in 5 minutes. Well that was another 12 or so minutes later. During the phone interview, he talked about himself and the job and I found myself having to defend my previous work history which was Outside Sales and Account Management. He had not even taken the time to read my resume before interviewing me. I spent days preparing for my phone interview and I could not even get the courtesy of him reading about my past work history before talking with me. I definitely would not want to work for this company after that experience.

Interview Question – None of the questions were difficult, because he barely asked any!   Answer Question

Commercial Account Manager

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in August 2011.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a recruiter after he saw my resume posted on a job board, who instructed me to go online to do a sales aptitude assessment. After doing this, the recruiter called me back for a one on one phone interview. The recruiter said everything went well, and he wanted me to interview with two managers the next week. When I showed up for the interview, there were actually three people there (one from HR), and the interview lasted approximately one hour. The managers said that they would let me know something either way by the first of the next week, interview was mid-week, and never got a call. It took a few messages, and e-mails, before the recruiter finally informed me that they hired someone else. I knew that this had happened, but just wanted someone to have the decency to tell me this, as promised! I was mulling another job offer, which I told them, and needed to know something a lot more quickly than they produced.

Interview Question – Tell me about a difficult customer, and what you did to turn them around.   Answer Question

Commercial Account Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in March 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online. I recieved and email the same day requesting me to complete an assessement. I completed it and recieved a phone call a week later from the recruiter. We had the phone screening right then. He told me I would be called by the sales manager but never got a call. I emailed the recruiter and he said I would be contacted but I never recieved a call from the sales manager.

Interview Question – What type of sales experience do you have?   Answer Question

Commercial Account Manager

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in April 2011.

Interview Details – First was to complete a basic sales online assesment for knowldge of sales related functions and scanario's. There were also questions geared towards personality and some standard test questions. Nothing hard to answer. After that I received a phone call from the companies recreuter for a basic information phone interview. He explained the position and salary and asked about my sales back round. Interview was laid back, nothing too dificult to answer. I was told there was a lot of activity for the position and they would call if proceeding for another panel interview.

Interview Question – What was a typical sales situation from start to close in your previous sales role?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Advance Auto Parts

Worked for Advance Auto Parts? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Advance Auto Parts Commercial Account Manager interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Advance Auto Parts employees and interview candidates.