Advance Auto Parts

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Skokie, IL

I applied online - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in May 2014.

Interview Details – Spoke with the manager over the phone who said he's looking for a commercial parts pro, so we set up an interview. Once I got in, he switched it to part-time key holder. Took the parts test and waiting on response, but the system didn't disclose any results. I asked about compensation, but he did not want to provide that information. Currently, I hold 2 Associates Degrees, am A+ certified & a US citizen. Waiting for his call, but doubt it'll happen. Can't wait until graduating to get on board something corporate.

Interview Question – What is an egr valve?   View Answer

Westminster, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in November 2011.

Interview Details – Commercial Area Manager recruited me from a shop in his area. The required interview was with the local General Manager. Who had no idea what a Commercial Parts Professional did other than make more individual sales than anyone else in the store. He spent more time telling me about the break area than interviewing me.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question was that they had none for me. I was rubber stamped and overqualified.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was told that the company could only hire a new Commercial Parts Professional at $15 per hour. Which I replied thanks, but the interview is over since I already agreed to come on as your new Commercial Parts Pro at $18/hr and that is a pay cut for me. Worth it only because I will have more time with my family.

After apologizing profusely the GM said that pay wasn't actually up to his discretion, and thought that the figure was $15.... should have been a huge red flag

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Interview Details – Interview was very basic. Why you are interested in the position exc.... If you have Auto Parts experience you are basically going to be able to get a job at any auto parts company.

Negotiation Details – Very competitive. I was asked what I made at my past place of employment ( which was a competitor Auto Parts Store ) Advance paid me a substantial amount more at the first offer. I felt it was fair and I accepted the offer.

Commercial Parts Pro

Interview Details – Applied online, received a call about setting up an interview for part time job. Called back and set up an interview. During this first interview I was asked if i was interested in management, said yes and was set up for 2 more interviews, one at another store and another with the division manager. After the first interview I took an automotive knowledge assessment test. My second interview was with a store manager at a different store, this one wasn't really an interview as I wasn't really asked any questions, we really just had a conversation. The third interview was more intense and had some tough questions.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to inspire someone else   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate, did not feel like I was able to.

Carthage, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Interview Details – Was turned onto the position by a current employee, brought in to interview, took assessment, received papers for drug testing, signed forms for MVR certification, took drug test, went for second interview, agreed on wage and hours, was put on schedule.

Interview Question – What do you think you are worth for hourly pay?   View Answer

Tampa, FL

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in April 2009.

Interview Details – The interview processes are a joke. We have too many people in the company that would rather play on their phone than work. The company has made it almost impossible to hire decent help. There are no full time opportunities and the compensation is a joke! What kind of employee do you really expect to get for minimum wage???

Durham, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in September 2011.

Interview Details – Pass the absurd assessment, and take the parts knowledge test, pee in a cup and pass a background check. woo hoo!

Negotiation Details – It was what the computer told me.

Commercial Parts Pro

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Interview Details – Interviewed six different times over the period of 6 weeks. After being diligent with phones calls and unscheduled follow up visits to stores. Was finally hired.

Interview Question – For myself, there was not a difficult question. I am more than qualified for the CPP position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Ridiculous!

Interviewed at Advance Auto Parts

Interview Details – Hiring involved applying online, waiting for a phone call, and going in for a scheduled drug test. There was little if any training whatsoever.

Interview Question – None.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There are no negotiations.

Worked for Advance Auto Parts? Contribute to the Community!