Advance Auto Parts General Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2015

3.2

General Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in May 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter, then a week later interview with 2 District Managers, followed up with another phone interview with the RVP a week later. About 20 min. After the call I got the job offer. Interview process is very good and educational. Did not do any role playing like other reviews have stated.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to lead a team, what was the project and what was the outcome.   3 Answers

Negotiation

I told them what I wanted and how much I was offered already at other retailers and they matched it.

Other Interview Reviews for Advance Auto Parts

General Manager Interview

Interview

Usual questions. Panel type intreview. Focused on customer service. Not concerned if you had auto parts experience. Please don't lead people on. Lead to believe I was a great candidate and would get their decision in a week. No call weeks later. Very unprofessional very glad I didn't get an offer

Interview Questions

• why are you leaving your current job? really why do you think.   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Interview

Can be a long process depending on district needs. Panel interviews , role playing Waiting on call backs. The process can be daunting patience is a plus. Job offer is basic very little room to negotiate salary

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiating

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in July 2014.

Interview

I was initially contacted by an out of the area HR employee who conducted a general phone screening. I was then scheduled for an in person interview with the local District manager and a panel of other tenured General Managers from the area. I was contacted 2 weeks later and scheduled for an in person interview with the area HR Director and the Territory VP. I then was asked to come in for a final meeting two weeks later for a job offer. According to this DM the normal time frame start to finish is usually 2-3 weeks but there were unexpected delays (Territory VP's Vacation). Advance Auto Parts is in the beginning stages of positioning themselves as a sales organization so be prepared to talk about how you will create and inspire a sales culture in your store.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected but DEFINATELY thorough. Both of my face to face interviews were face to face and with 3+ people.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Yes there was negotiation. The DM was very upfront about company set pay ranges and even printed off detailed breakdowns of how my bonus structure works. He used the real numbers from my store to calculate average monthly bonuses for the past year.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duluth, GA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Advance Auto Parts (Duluth, GA) in July 2014.

Interview

Multiple Office Visits, Panel interview with questions on business management and employee accountability. How interactions with District management went. Ideas on how to operate a profitable Store. What my ambitions were.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Advance Auto Parts (San Antonio, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

They do a panel interview, they have three DM's and a couple of SM's doing role play with you with specific scenarios. They interview you like if you are gonna join the US Government. They ask you question after question and you have to answer with the situation, and the action you took, if not you will fail the interview.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you improve a process and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example when you had an irate customer and how did you difuse the situation?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Advance Auto Parts (Albany, GA) in February 2014.

Interview

It took around 2 months after I applied to my start date. I was contacted by a corporate recruiting manager and performed a phone interview, was recommended to the district manager for another phone interview, then 2 weeks later the district manager contacted me for a phone interview - finished that and was invited to an in-person interview 2 weeks later- completed that and was called back for a second more in-depth interview 4 days later. Completed that, then was asked if I could come on as Assistant Manager due to my lack of store management experience but extensive automotive background.

Interview Questions

• I was given a page paper of an hypothetical situation/transaction at a store and had to perform a demonstration of how I would handle the customer/situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Advance Auto Parts (Dallas, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

Application online. Vey basic assessment to see about knowledge based skills. Phone interview if you get past that in person interview one more of panel style. After that interview with Human Resources Manager and Regional staff. Then offer and hiring onboarding process.

Interview Questions

• What did I bring to the table that other candidates did not have that was interviewing for the same position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Advance Auto Parts (New Orleans, LA) in July 2013.

Interview

This is one of the best interview processes I have experienced. The questions are experienced based and detailed. The process is performed by multiple members of the team and it is objective.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were unable to satisfy a customer.   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Interview

Required to take a test which took about 45 minutes which consisted of different scenarios of what if's as well as some financial questions and alot of it had nothing to do with being able to run a store it was just to see if you were the right puppet for the job. Then you have to sit in front of a panel which would consist of several upper management people(DL, HR, RVP or any other that might be around at the time of the interview) They would each ask different questions and as long as you are quick on your feet and can come up with what they want to hear and it sound like you are seeing that they like the answers then keep making stuff up as you go and do what they say and you will be a perfect fit for the puppet they want.

Interview Questions

• Being able to put the store before my family. If family is your answer then think twice it is not what they want to hear. Store first family 2nd.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was none. I was told what I would get and that was that.