Advance Auto Parts

Updated Sep 5, 2014

3.1

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

General Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in July 2014.

I was initially contacted by an out of the area HR employee who conducted a general phone screening. I was then scheduled for an in person interview with the local District manager and a panel of other tenured General Managers from the area. I was contacted 2 weeks later and scheduled for an in person interview with the area HR Director and the Territory VP. I then was asked to come in for a final meeting two weeks later for a job offer. According to this DM the normal time frame start to finish is usually 2-3 weeks but there were unexpected delays (Territory VP's Vacation). Advance Auto Parts is in the beginning stages of positioning themselves as a sales organization so be prepared to talk about how you will create and inspire a sales culture in your store.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing unexpected but DEFINATELY thorough. Both of my face to face interviews were face to face and with 3+ people.   View Answer
Yes there was negotiation. The DM was very upfront about company set pay ranges and even printed off detailed breakdowns of how my bonus structure works. He used the real numbers from my store to calculate average monthly bonuses for the past year.

Other Interview Reviews for Advance Auto Parts

General Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in June 2012.

Online process and Pre-Screen personality / ethics evaluation. Phone interview, then interview with DM. Final decision made by Panel interview with RVP for General manger positions only.

Interview Questions
    Salary and a week of immediate vacation available.

General Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in February 2010.

i interview with a idiot first who hired someone with no automotive exp and then i was hired by a friend that worked in another state so i had to travel for over a year at my exspense

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Greenville, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in September 2012.

Called by recruiter, phone interview with recruiter, panel interview with tests, interview with District Manager. Process took around 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Typical coaching and personality based interview questions.   Answer Question
    Salary was offered thet was in line with median salary and expectations.

General Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in January 2010.

I believe there was 2 interviews. The first one was in font of a panel of 3 people.

Interview Questions
    • Role playing on the spot felt uncomfortable at first but after a few of those questions it came naturalI went t   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Worcester, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worcester, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in April 2009.

You typically only advance here if the person above you is fired or quits. Ten years of experience with this company.

Interview Questions
    • The only difficult thing was figuring out who the hell hired the unintelligent district leaders.   Answer Question
    You're already doing the job, would you like more money and a different title to continue doing it????

General Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in May 2009.

Panel interview with a math quiz.

Interview Questions
    • Various values related questions. Tell me about a time when.....   Answer Question
    None

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bristol, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, VA

I applied through other source - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in August 2009.

Panel interview

Interview Questions
    You have little input, take it or leave it!

General Manager Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in April 2009.

It took a long time for them to hire me of course i was working at the time. about 4 months
    to be exact.

General Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Required to take a test which took about 45 minutes which consisted of different scenarios of what if's as well as some financial questions and alot of it had nothing to do with being able to run a store it was just to see if you were the right puppet for the job. Then you have to sit in front of a panel which would consist of several upper management people(DL, HR, RVP or any other that might be around at the time of the interview) They would each ask different questions and as long as you are quick on your feet and can come up with what they want to hear and it sound like you are seeing that they like the answers then keep making stuff up as you go and do what they say and you will be a perfect fit for the puppet they want.

Interview Questions
    • Being able to put the store before my family. If family is your answer then think twice it is not what they want to hear. Store first family 2nd.   View Answer
    There was none. I was told what I would get and that was that.

Worked for Advance Auto Parts? Contribute to the Community!