Advance Auto Parts General Manager Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014

3.1

21 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

General Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts in July 2014.

I was initially contacted by an out of the area HR employee who conducted a general phone screening. I was then scheduled for an in person interview with the local District manager and a panel of other tenured General Managers from the area. I was contacted 2 weeks later and scheduled for an in person interview with the area HR Director and the Territory VP. I then was asked to come in for a final meeting two weeks later for a job offer. According to this DM the normal time frame start to finish is usually 2-3 weeks but there were unexpected delays (Territory VP's Vacation). Advance Auto Parts is in the beginning stages of positioning themselves as a sales organization so be prepared to talk about how you will create and inspire a sales culture in your store.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing unexpected but DEFINATELY thorough. Both of my face to face interviews were face to face and with 3+ people.   View Answer
Yes there was negotiation. The DM was very upfront about company set pay ranges and even printed off detailed breakdowns of how my bonus structure works. He used the real numbers from my store to calculate average monthly bonuses for the past year.

Other Interview Reviews for Advance Auto Parts

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts in July 2013.

This is one of the best interview processes I have experienced. The questions are experienced based and detailed. The process is performed by multiple members of the team and it is objective.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were unable to satisfy a customer.   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Required to take a test which took about 45 minutes which consisted of different scenarios of what if's as well as some financial questions and alot of it had nothing to do with being able to run a store it was just to see if you were the right puppet for the job. Then you have to sit in front of a panel which would consist of several upper management people(DL, HR, RVP or any other that might be around at the time of the interview) They would each ask different questions and as long as you are quick on your feet and can come up with what they want to hear and it sound like you are seeing that they like the answers then keep making stuff up as you go and do what they say and you will be a perfect fit for the puppet they want.

Interview Questions
    • Being able to put the store before my family. If family is your answer then think twice it is not what they want to hear. Store first family 2nd.   View Answer
    There was none. I was told what I would get and that was that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts in November 2012.

I was initially contacted by a Recruiter because my RESUME is on several job sites. I had a phone interview the same day with the Recruiter that went very well, she then told me to take the General Manager assessment test right away. About 4 days later I had a panel interview with the area District Manager and HR Manager in a hotel lobby. Asked a lot of behavioral based questions and also about my background. After interview I had to take a P&L Math test that was fairly simple. Good experience overall.

Interview Questions
    • How do you make sure your staff reflects the community?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts in September 2012.

Called by recruiter, phone interview with recruiter, panel interview with tests, interview with District Manager. Process took around 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Typical coaching and personality based interview questions.   Answer Question
    Salary was offered thet was in line with median salary and expectations.

General Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts in June 2012.

Online process and Pre-Screen personality / ethics evaluation. Phone interview, then interview with DM. Final decision made by Panel interview with RVP for General manger positions only.

Interview Questions
    Salary and a week of immediate vacation available.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Easton, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Easton, MD

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts in May 2011.

The most indepth interview I have ever had. Fantastic, made it all about the candidate not about the company. Created an excellent environment with an emphasis on me choosing them over them choosing me, brilliant.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions   View Answer
    • Group interview In 3 steps. Business math, one on one and role play.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts in April 2010.

Thorough.. Understand the P&L and general retail calculations

Interview Questions
    • Financials are in "Advance" lingo... Make sure youo understand what they asking as some questions can have mutiple correct answers pending the companies view.   Answer Question
    • Answer the panel honestly. Handling customers, what would you do etc.. Looking for managers that are not afraid to do what is needed to correct a situation   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts in February 2010.

i interview with a idiot first who hired someone with no automotive exp and then i was hired by a friend that worked in another state so i had to travel for over a year at my exspense

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts in January 2010.

Telephone Interview - 1 hour then 1:1 in person then panel 2 1/2 - 3 hours written test, role plays, and panel interviews