Advance Auto Parts

2.3

Manager In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts in September 2012.

PHONE INTERVIEW then 3 hour interview with dm's then role play about how to coach associates ans customer issues written test about gross profit and some math

Interview Questions
    • written test about gross profit and some math   View Answer

not enough pay

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts in June 2011.

Today's current interview process of give me an example of when this situation occurred and how you handled it, three person interview panel including Regional VP, District Manager and Finance Director. Some questions on MS Excel and Oracle knowledge, Needed basic mail merge and Word knowledge. The questions were asked in a 'round robin' style. The panel seemed to be pleased with their style of questioning and seemed wrote a lot while questioning.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I could work for an overly demanding manager and any specific experience I had in doing so.   View Answer
    Negotiating for a higher salary was not difficult. Because this specific RVP was very bellicose, the pool of prospects was very low. I worked here for 20 months before resigning. While working my notice, I was treated rudely, screamed at and at times ignored. After Ieft, it was announced that I had been 'termed'.

District Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Recruiter to Field HR to Hiring Panel.

Supply and demand.

General Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts in January 2010.

I believe there was 2 interviews. The first one was in font of a panel of 3 people.

Interview Questions
    • Role playing on the spot felt uncomfortable at first but after a few of those questions it came naturalI went t   Answer Question

In-House Counsel Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts in August 2011.

The preliminary interview was conducted by phone, and it was clear from the outset that the HR person was not interested in me as a candidate. She had been given my name by a headhunter, and she drilled me about the types of contracts that I had written. That was the entire focus of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not difficult -- just focused on specific types of contracts written.   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts in July 2014.

I was initially contacted by an out of the area HR employee who conducted a general phone screening. I was then scheduled for an in person interview with the local District manager and a panel of other tenured General Managers from the area. I was contacted 2 weeks later and scheduled for an in person interview with the area HR Director and the Territory VP. I then was asked to come in for a final meeting two weeks later for a job offer. According to this DM the normal time frame start to finish is usually 2-3 weeks but there were unexpected delays (Territory VP's Vacation). Advance Auto Parts is in the beginning stages of positioning themselves as a sales organization so be prepared to talk about how you will create and inspire a sales culture in your store.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected but DEFINATELY thorough. Both of my face to face interviews were face to face and with 3+ people.   View Answer
    Yes there was negotiation. The DM was very upfront about company set pay ranges and even printed off detailed breakdowns of how my bonus structure works. He used the real numbers from my store to calculate average monthly bonuses for the past year.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts in July 2013.

This is one of the best interview processes I have experienced. The questions are experienced based and detailed. The process is performed by multiple members of the team and it is objective.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were unable to satisfy a customer.   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts in March 2011.

Very detailed and well thought out interview / hireing process. It took a few weeks, however, Advance Auto really takes the time to select the people they are looking for. This is not a who you know company. Rather who you are. I applied on line. Spoke with a AAP hireing manager. Took a on line test and only then did the process really take place. I later reported to a district office where I spent three plus hours, attending a panel interview, test and roll playing. Once it was determained I passed all three sections I then had to meet / interview witht he DVP. Wow... what a great leader and advocate for his peoples growth and success of the company.Very detailed and very motivating to know I may join the co. I was sold after my long day of testing and talking. I was greatly impressed with the time and consideration taken by the upper / field managment team.

Interview Questions
    • Out side the box... the written test was the most difficult. Business math, questions, and more!   View Answer
    • Why AAP. over another retailer.   View Answer
    You can negotiate. However, the company has a stop rate and to be paid on the upper end of this you need sound, proven and good work history and expereince. For me I want growth. AAP offers this bases on ones performance.

Delivery Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in O'Fallon, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in O'Fallon, MO

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts in June 2012.

HR was great. They kept me informed. The manger seemed nervous but polite. I was well qualified to the job but did not get it.

Interview Questions
    • Can you lift 100# and carry it up 3 stories.   View Answer

Delivery Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooksville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooksville, FL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts in November 2013.

After an exhaustive online profile, testing, and application process and sending out my resume to over one hundred stores I was finally called for an interview.

Met the Store Manager and we walked back through the store to a small cubby/office. He asked a series of open ended questions most of which did not seem that relevant to the position, but which I answered as honestly as I could.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part was that he was following a script and it felt forced.

I'd answer a question and give enough information for the the next question without realizing it, but instead of skipping that question he'd go ahead and ask it and then look bored by my answer because I'd already given it to him. Instead of a conversation it turned into me answering the questions before they are asked and then repeating myself when he asked the same question I already answered.

View Answer