Advance Auto Parts Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.3

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Interview

Can be a long process depending on district needs. Panel interviews , role playing Waiting on call backs. The process can be daunting patience is a plus. Job offer is basic very little room to negotiate salary

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiating

Delivery Driver Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Interview

The interview was simple and quick. It took two weeks to get a return on back ground check and MVR status. I was interviewed by two men for the job as their delivery driver. I was asked various questions about vehicles, delivering parts, and up selling.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Interview

Applied online and contacted by telephone one week later. Interview consisted of an explanation as to taking a test and filling out a questionnaire on knowledge of retail sales in auto parts and customer service. At no time did the manager personally ask any questions of me. Claiming to be to busy to talk. Process took 35 minutes and when finished no one was available to talk to me concerning the position for the manager had left for a lunch brake. Another sales rep. told me I would be contacted in three to five days with an answer. I stopped by the store eight days later to follow up was greeted rudely by manager told interview process would end January 01,2015. No additional follow up made have very poor opinion of manager.

Retail Salesperson Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brownsville, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts (Brownsville, PA).

Interview

Applied online. Lengthy online test process before you even get considered for an interview, but after that it's pretty easy. Got an interview with two different locations within a week. Interview will vary greatly depending on your location's General Manager, but both of mine were extremely easy. I got 1 or 2 very basic automotive questions. At this time I knew almost nothing about cars and still answered the questions fine. A few very basic questions like why do you want to work here, past job experience, schooling, etc. At both of my interviews, there were basically no situational or behavioral questions (ie tell me a time that you... what would you do if... etc). Basically after that, I got a job offer on the spot, pending a drug test.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

My manager was very nice about the offer. He offered $0.50 above minimum wage because he thought that I knew a decent amount about the automotive industry based on interview. Not much negotiation seemed available, so I accepted the offer without negotiation. He gave me a $0.25 raise within a few months without me asking for it.

Delivery Driver Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Interview

Be prepared for some serious ridiculousness here. Before the interview, they're already asking questions that it's illegal for them to ask. If HR represents the rest of the company, just pass on these guys. They asked for my birthdate. That's asking how old I am. They asked if I had recently been released from a penal institution and asked it in such a way that one could see that a yes answer wasn't a deal breaker. They asked for my social security number. I have had my accounts hacked already by a different employer who did that and had a less than honest HR person working there. They had a test that wanted to know how I work under stress. The whole process was meant to be, and is, demeaning.

Interview Questions

• How old are you?
      What's your social security number?
      Have you recently been released from a penal institution?

1 Answer

Assistant General Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Interview

Informal but professional. Once the online app was complete, I went to store and did a 1 on 1 interview with the GM. After a 20 min interview, I was offered the position and took it on the spot.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Short & sweet

Sales Team Member Interview

Interview

The hardest part of getting the job is the online application. if you can manage to pass it, and there is an open position, you most likely will get it. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CARS.

Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts (Roanoke, VA) in December 2014.

Interview

About a 15 minute interview. The interview was way under dress compared to me, but had a lot of questions on experience and achievements. Met in a conference room setting, one-on-one.

Interview Questions

• What did you do for blank company and what was your best achievement while you were there?   Answer Question

Commercial Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Interview

The company will make you go through what is probably a very typical hiring process while the assessment you are required to take in the beginning is very long & you answer the questions over & over.

1. Assessment (Very Long)
    2. HR Phone Interview
    3. Face-to-face interview / panel interview

Interview Questions

• Can you handle being micro-managed   1 Answer

Negotiation

Normal

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Interview

First step was a call with a recruiter and a "personality" test, pretty standard. It was followed up by a panel conference call, personally a first for me. Approximately 2 weeks later I had a formal panel with the Area HR manager, Regional HR ,the RVP and another personal who's title escapes me. standard behavior questions with some others added to the mix.

Interview Questions

• Why did you waste money by going to an ivy league school if you were going to work in the automotive industry?   Answer Question

The personality fit between myself and the person who would be my direct supervisor did not feel like it would be a great partnership.