Advance Auto Parts

2.3

Floor Plan Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

First was a phone interview with the HR recruiter. She didn’t know anything about the position other than what the hiring manager gave her (which was the same as the description of the job posted online). She asked questions that could be typed into an answer box...just qualifications, experience, etc. A few days later was a phone interview from the hiring manager (I was not local so this may be in person for others). He asked lots of questions pertaining to the job, what I know, programs I’ve used, etc. Also asked questions about working in teams and how you led them. I used all examples from college experiences as I was a recent grad. A few weeks later I was then invited to the Roanoke Office for an in person interview. This was a panel interview with 5 people (one from each team I collaborate with). At this point I cannot remember many questions they asked. I don't remember them being very difficult. Most questions related to team work, being professional, etc. They knew I had no experience in doing what I was applying for so wanted to know I was going to be a good fit for the team. A week or two later the HR recruiter called me and offered a position. I asked for more money, and as expected they did not give it to me. I didnt try, but would reccommend asking for extra vacation days if no pay increase.

I also worked at the store level before coming here so the personalitly test/drug test was not done but I know the company does this at corporate level.

EDIT: After my first full year at corporate, no raises were given.

Interview Questions
    I asked for a little bit more money to the HR recruiter. She talked to the hiring manager/team. She came back and said "They are staying with their current offer." I accepted anyway. Maybe try asking for more vacation if they dont give on salary.

Parts Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Cloud, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Cloud, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Personal interview manager at time of hire was thorough!

Interview Questions
    • Was not difficult at all basice knowledge of Auto repair would get you through   Answer Question
    No room for negotiation was take it or leave it.

Assistant Manager In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greer, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greer, SC

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

The hiring process at Advance Auto Parts today is automated .Through our website you place your information into a que that is rated and moved through the process based on your answers to an assessment. Based on your application job preference the assessment can be different.Individual Store Managers or regional HR reps place requisitions for job types onto the hiring system. After that any store or Hr rep can pull that information and disseminate it to the appropriate departmant.

Interview Questions
    • What is the proper plastigage clearance for the main bearings on a 1978 Chevy 350 cid engine?   Answer Question
    Typical negotiation. A few days of back and forth before a conclusion was reached.

Sales Counter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts in December 2013.

One on one interview basic auto questions was asked.

Interview Questions
    • The test you had to take to see if you get paid a little more was very difficult. It had stuff on it I never even heard of in the store. Maybe they make it difficult so they wont have to pay more.   Answer Question

Programmer III Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in December 2013.

There were four interviews. One of them was with a technical lead but he asked no real technical questions. When I asked why later he responded that he was more interested in my interest in the job, the technology, my attitude and whether I was willing to learn than he was in my skill set.

This was handled through the agency.

Delivery Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooksville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooksville, FL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts in November 2013.

After an exhaustive online profile, testing, and application process and sending out my resume to over one hundred stores I was finally called for an interview.

Met the Store Manager and we walked back through the store to a small cubby/office. He asked a series of open ended questions most of which did not seem that relevant to the position, but which I answered as honestly as I could.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part was that he was following a script and it felt forced.

I'd answer a question and give enough information for the the next question without realizing it, but instead of skipping that question he'd go ahead and ask it and then look bored by my answer because I'd already given it to him. Instead of a conversation it turned into me answering the questions before they are asked and then repeating myself when he asked the same question I already answered.

View Answer

District Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Recruiter to Field HR to Hiring Panel.

Supply and demand.

Commercial Parts Pro Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Interview was very basic. Why you are interested in the position exc.... If you have Auto Parts experience you are basically going to be able to get a job at any auto parts company.

Very competitive. I was asked what I made at my past place of employment ( which was a competitor Auto Parts Store ) Advance paid me a substantial amount more at the first offer. I felt it was fair and I accepted the offer.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

I didn't even remember I had applied. They called me about a month later. I was the only female there but they were really cool. It was a simple interview, they checked my availability asked basic questions about me and if I could fulfill the job requirements. They called me back with an offer about 4days later.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were simple and typical interview questions   Answer Question

I declined because I had already gotten another job.

Sales Mobile Parts Pro Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parma, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parma, OH

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Advance Auto Parts in October 2013.

All testing is done over the phone including giving them all your personal information.This includes drivers license info and social security number.Testing is easy if you have common sense and sales knowledge.Auto knowledge is really secondary and pretty unimportant to be hired.Interviews at least where I worked were conducted by managers that have no people skills and are less than bright.I can't say if its like that at all the stores but was were I interviewed.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever stolen anything for a company that you worked for.WAS A VERY LONG TEST FOR SUBSTANDARD PAY.The hardest part is getting through the1 hr long online test which was more interested in sales skills than knowledge of auto parts. If you have any sales experience the test is common sense.After taking the job I continued to get calls from every Advance store in the city.This is the cheapest company that you will ever come across.No benefits except for 20% off on prts.Cheaper to buy from them online.Pathetic..I do believe that you can move up the ladder quickly if you have a little personality,averge IQ and a lot of patience.You will need to have a lot of outside financial help and a lot of patience if this is the career path you choose.   View Answer
    short interview by unqualified managers