Advance Auto Parts

Relevance Date Difficulty

Mobile Parts Pro Interview

Mobile Parts Pro
Lawrenceville, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in March 2013.

Interview Details – Brief interview to learn about the position and the employee

Interview Question – Reason for wanting to work at advance, even know I had a significant technical background in IT work   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Demand more than 8.00. Unless you are single and in school and absolutely have no options.

District Manager Interview

District Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Interview Details – Recruiter to Field HR to Hiring Panel.

Negotiation Details – Supply and demand.

Commercial Parts Pro Interview

Commercial Parts Pro
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Interview Details – Interview was very basic. Why you are interested in the position exc.... If you have Auto Parts experience you are basically going to be able to get a job at any auto parts company.

Negotiation Details – Very competitive. I was asked what I made at my past place of employment ( which was a competitor Auto Parts Store ) Advance paid me a substantial amount more at the first offer. I felt it was fair and I accepted the offer.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts.

Interview Details – I didn't even remember I had applied. They called me about a month later. I was the only female there but they were really cool. It was a simple interview, they checked my availability asked basic questions about me and if I could fulfill the job requirements. They called me back with an offer about 4days later.

Interview Question – The questions were simple and typical interview questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I declined because I had already gotten another job.

Very Difficult Interview

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in June 2011.

Interview Details – Today's current interview process of give me an example of when this situation occurred and how you handled it, three person interview panel including Regional VP, District Manager and Finance Director. Some questions on MS Excel and Oracle knowledge, Needed basic mail merge and Word knowledge. The questions were asked in a 'round robin' style. The panel seemed to be pleased with their style of questioning and seemed wrote a lot while questioning.

Interview Question – I was asked if I could work for an overly demanding manager and any specific experience I had in doing so.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiating for a higher salary was not difficult. Because this specific RVP was very bellicose, the pool of prospects was very low. I worked here for 20 months before resigning. While working my notice, I was treated rudely, screamed at and at times ignored. After Ieft, it was announced that I had been 'termed'.

Commercial Account Manager Interview

Commercial Account Manager
Toledo, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in July 2013.

Interview Details – Mine started with online, application, then panel interview with commercial sales manager, retail district manager and HR manager, questions are basic in star format. A few days after I was contacted for a ride along in the field, spent a few hours with the rep made sales calls visited retail store... This is where it gets weird. After that I was told by hiring manager that a new round of interviews would be opened to see if anyone else would qualify as well. I then received a phone call to tell me that someone did and would spend a day in the field as well. At this point I offered to spend a day in the field with a retail manager and this offer was accepted. After great feedback I was told I would be moving forward. The hr manager contacted me for my background check info and all I had to do was interview with RVP and an offer would be made. Interview with RVP was over phone and a few basic questions were asked, pretty causal. Later that day the hiring manager told me all went well and said a blessing was given for an offer. She didn't make one and instead asked me to lunch and said an offer would be given by the end. Day of lunch called and told it was cancelled and agreed to meet at a Starbucks at this time she starting interview me again and said an internal candidate expressed interest so she wanted to make sure I was the right fit. Mind you the listing was pulled and I'm in background. I was told the next day she would let me know... At this point I was told I have the job twice. Next day no phone call but an email saying no decision was made. The following Tuesday I get a phone call saying I wasn't being hired because she wanted to start a new search for someone with more experience in automotive. The following day I get a letter in the mail saying my background returned clear and was ok to start work for them.

Interview Question – Star format. Situational questions. How do you lead a team of sales reps that you have no authority over?   Answer Question

Mobile Pro Interview

Mobile Pro

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in April 2013.

Interview Details – Interview asking why you want to work there?Ask if you know parts of different places of cars for instance name components of brake system.You do have to take a drug test.

Interview Question – Asked to name different components of different parts of car.   Answer Question

Category Manager Interview

Category Manager

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in July 2013.

Interview Details – Initital interview with HR recruiter. Most of the questions were related to my previous work experience. We basically just walked through my resumes and discussed former and current position and job responsibilities. After those initial questions, she asked what my current salary was, it was uncomfortable and I found it awkward to try and not answer the question. I was relocating from Northern Virginia, so I think my current salary was too high.

Interview Question – Most difficult question was "what is your current salary?"   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate and Mobile Parts Pro Interview

Sales Associate and Mobile Parts Pro

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Advance Auto Parts in March 2010.

Interview Details – Was told to go home and fill out an application then call the store manager. After that I was told to swing by the store the next time I was in town and he would explain the jobs to me and walk me step by step through what we did. After I agreed that I could perform the duties they would ask of me it was simply a matter of filling out paperwork for taxes and waiting a week so I could start on a Sunday.

Interview Question – There really wasn't too a question that was difficult or unexpected. The only questions I was asked outside of when I was available and what I wanted from the company myself was if I could change a battery and wiperblades.   Answer Question

Key Holder Interview

Key Holder

Interview Details – The interview was pretty basic. Was asked to explain a few parts of a car and how they worked. After that was offered a job.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Unable to negotiate starting salary as I was desperate for a new job and had no experience.