Advanced Testing Laboratory

2.1

Biologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online – interviewed at Advanced Testing Laboratory.

I applied for the positions months before finally hearing back from them. We were able to set up an interview quickly. The interview took place in a common area which also serves as a cafeteria. I met with three group leaders after the supervising manager was unable to attend. They were extremely nice and had plenty of questions in mind to judge my abilities. After the interview which lasted about an hour, I received my job offer the next day. This surprised me. I was able to start work a solid week after my interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is an instance where you were unable to finish your work due to someone else's mistake?   View Answer
    They asked an expected salary and told me what is a typical salary.

Toxicology Safety Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advanced Testing Laboratory in July 2014.

HR emailed me on July 2nd and scheduled a phone screen about a week after I applied. The phone screen was just a discussion about the company and the position. We went over some of my qualifications to make sure I was suitable for the position. Salary was actually discussed briefly, I got the hint that there would be no or very little negotiating for salary. The HR person than set up a phone interview (July 7th) with my prospective boss for the following week. That also went well and we again discussed the position in more detail and some of my background. The next step would have been an onsite interview but I wasn't chosen. Received a rejection email on July 22nd stating "Unfortunately, we have decided to pursue other candidates who appear to match (skills and experience) our requirements more closely at this time." But basically I was told by my prospective boss in a personal email that I was overqualified. I have a PhD and they wanted a Master's level.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in a few years? No behavior questions. More of general discussions. However, I cannot comment on how an on site interview would be conducted.   Answer Question
    • Since I was a bench scientist, I was asked if I was comfortable moving away from the bench   Answer Question

Biologist II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Advanced Testing Laboratory.

Applied for job online and contacted by recruiter within a few days. Interview set up quickly at the corporate site with the manager over the open position. Interview was pretty relaxed, lasted maybe an hour and consisted of questions regarding previous work experience and education. Hear back a few days if they offer a job.

Microbiology Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advanced Testing Laboratory.

Very Quick Process. Phone interview followed by in person interview in less than 2 weeks time for both. Straight forward questions about resume experience. Strengths, weaknesses, what I like most and least about current employer, and management.

Interview Questions
    No negotiating. They will offer you the base hourly wage and you can accept or not.

Manager Administer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Advanced Testing Laboratory.

Local employee were not available to answer questions.

Interview Questions
    • How did you manage the most difficult person you encountered?   Answer Question

The interview process was not organized. Difficult to contact.

Microbiologist Interview

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Advanced Testing Laboratory.

Pretty bush league. I knew something was up when they called me the very next morning and set up a phone interview as soon as possible, while most companies sat on my resume for a week. They also sounded just like my former temp agency - friendly but clueless, but they're not a temp service.

After passing the phone screen, they wanted me to drop by. I live four hours away, so I asked whether they meant their HQ or the work site, a week later I get a response. I give two subtle but polite cues for them to mention who's paying for the expenses and reiterating my salary range, but they pretty much go silent for a week or two then respond as if I've forgotten my concerns.

I am thankfully employed, and they sound more fishy than Manpower. I'm guessing they have a bunch of 25-30K jobs and get people who'd rather make that than sit at home, and it probably is a decent way to fill up your resume, but keep your head up and keep looking.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Advanced Testing Laboratory.

1 telephone interview and 2 personnal interviews.

Interview Questions
    • If you are replaciing your position at work and you have given the oppurtunity to choose a person, what are the qualities you will be looking for?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advanced Testing Laboratory.

They called for an phone interview, then they scheduled a face to face interview that last 30 minutes. I had two phone interviews with two managers. Took about two weeks to hear back from them.

Interview Questions
    • What's some of your weakeness and how do you intend on imporving on them.   Answer Question
    I negotiated for a semi-better rate. Still too low, but economy was bad so I took the job.

Analytical Chemist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blue Ash, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advanced Testing Laboratory in June 2012.

Was initially contacted by HR. The woman didn't understand the work involved in the position, and flat out lied to me at one point, but overall was nice and got me through to the next person.

In person interview with the general manager first. He asked me about my experience and then drilled me on titration theory and some instrumentation I had worked with (UV-Vis) even though I was applying for a Mass Spec position. An alarm was going off the whole time and he didn't check to see what it was about.Overall, it was a very awkward and strange experience.

I received a call back and was told to do a phone interview with the direct supervisor for the Mass Spec position. Spoke with her about my experience and what would be entailed in the job. Got a call back from HR saying the position had been filled by someone with more experience, which turned out not to be true since I ended up getting the job.

Since they thought the position had been filled, I interview in person with the GM and another supervisor for a different position involving basic lab work. The GM dominated the interview and I repeated my previous answers from my first interview. I didn't even really understand what the position would be.

Got a call back saying I got the initial job in Mass Spec. Was sent my offer letter, orientation date and drug test information.

Interview Questions
    • They'll ask you about staying late if the work requires doing so. Apparently, on base this is mandatory and some people are on-call for immediately needed analysis for regulatory purposes.   View Answer
    Negotiated salary at the initial interview only. They pay way lower than the standard for the industry, so don't expect much. This particular GM likes people who stand up for themselves though.

Entry Level Chemistry Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blue Ash, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Advanced Testing Laboratory in May 2012.

Basic Chemistry Questions

Interview Questions
    • Describe how GC works   Answer Question
    • Fractional dilution: If you were given a stock solution of x concentration how many mls would you need to make a y ml solution of z concentration?   Answer Question