Advanstar Interview Questions

2.6

Editor Interview

Interview

Fairly straightforward: main interviews with direct supervisor and immediate direct report. These appeared to be excellent and knowledgeable people with whom it would be fun to work--and they were. There were short, meet-and-greet discussions with division managers.

Negotiation

Negotiation was short, and company held firm to a low figure within the prevailing range.

Webinar Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Iselin, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Advanstar (Iselin, NJ) in August 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by an agency on tuesday, had a phone interview on thursday and was hired on friday. I started the next Monday, it was that quick. Didn't ask too much about me and my experience really just told me about the position.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Olmsted, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Advanstar (North Olmsted, OH).

Interview

I was actually really excited at first to come in and interview. This position was located in North Olmsted, OH. The receptionist was great and let me know what a great place it was to work, so I was excited. And then the real interview process happened. I interviewed with several layers of the organization: HR, Business Manager, Director, VP. I was told I was a top candidate and then was never offered the position. I was told that there was a "budget issues" with that position, and from there, completely sensed that there are problems with this company.

Interview Questions

• Typical HR and management questions. "Why do you want this job?"   Answer Question

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advanstar (New York, NY) in November 2011.

Interview

I meet with a manger in person for coffee. Then I came into the office and interviewed with HR, and several editors and the publisher. I presented a printed portfolio of past work as well a digital portfolio. I was asked to make a short presentation on one project from start to finish and highlight my role in its creation.

Interview Questions

• Was asked to critique a published magazine for production issues. (such as a poor clipping mask and a mis printed page).   Answer Question

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advanstar (Santa Monica, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

From my perspective, the hiring process at Advanstar is a held up by personalities. I got the sincere feeling that the person that I interviewed with had a preconceived notion as to what a female designer is capable of versus a male designer when designing for the Veterinary and PowerSports division. I am a highly qualified and very experienced senior designer. Additionally, this is my fourth time freelancing for the same company. My creative director at Advanstar has always loved my work and we get along famously. Unfortunately, I didn't find favor higher up the food chain. Although my work has been well received by the public as well as the marketing staff, and even commended for bringing the look of the company to a higher level aesthetically I was not chosen. Sadly, I feel a bias and I wish I did not.

Managing Editor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Advanstar.

Interview

This was a very long, process from telephone interview and discussion phase to an actual offer and hire. I had given up on the job a few times and moved on only to hear from the hiring manager yet again. I didn't feel that details of the job description were ever adequately laid out, despite several conversations on the topic. And, when I finally started, it turned out that the job description I was informed of before being hired was quite different.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advanstar.

Interview

Phone interview with HR, in person itnerview with HR, 2 interviews with department heads

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very straight forward