Advent Software Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Feb 18, 2015
Updated Feb 18, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Advent Software.

Found Advent's job requisition through Craigslist for a Senior Client Support Specialist, then followed link to Jobvite and applied. About a week later, their contract recruiter sent an email to set up a phone interview for their Global Client Support Specialist position; out of 5 days, 3 possible days for an interview had to be selected.

The interviewer was very precise and seemed to be going off of a list of typical interview questions, like what was my background, what I knew about Advent and its products, what I felt that I could bring to the team.

A few days later, I received another email from the contract recruiter and an in-person interview was scheduled.

Upon arriving, I had to sign-in, place a name tag on my shirt, and eventually met with one of the senior support reps. I was shown parts of the office, and after a brief conversation, we met with another senior support rep. The interview involved more typical information exchange, as well as a couple brain teasers; fill a jug with exactly 4 gallons of water, using only a 3 gallon and a 5 gallon jug, and something about socks, and how many of each color.

Although the interview experience was different than most others, it seems Advent utilizes this format for everyone.

Interview Questions
    • fill a jug with exactly 4 gallons of water, using only a 3 gallon and a 5 gallon jug, and something about socks, and how many of each color.   View Answer

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advent Software in July 2014.

First phone screen with recruiter went really well. He seemed really excited about working for Advent and just upbeat in general. A few days later had another phone interview with a Software Engineer. This involved more technical questions regarding my past experience and knowledge, not very tough. About a week later they brought me in for 4 1-on-1 interviews. First their was a short technical test followed by 3 interviews with SEs. The final interview was with a product manager. He asked me more broad questions regarding my experience in school.

Interview Questions
    Brief since I was coming in with very little real world experience. I was very happy with the offer since my initial ballpark was well exceeded. I do wish I had some more preparation going into the negotiation phase.

FP&A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Advent Software in May 2014.

Had a phone interview with recruiter who just went over my resume. About a week later I had another phone interview with the hiring manager which consisted of mostly behavioral questions and my experience with excel. Then they brought me in for four 30 minute interviews with managers, mostly just wanted someone with a positive attitude and who was going to work hard.

Interview Questions
    • Basic behavioral questions, some questions about experience with excel and school projects.   Answer Question

Data Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Advent Software in May 2011.

Consists of a call from recruiter from the department in which you've applied to, a phone interview with a current data support lead, another phone interview with a data support hiring manager, and then a panel/group with the team that you would be working closely with at Advent. The group interview will last around 2.5 hours. Every 40 minutes you will have meet two team mates and they will ask you to describe your work history and ask you the similar questions each time.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Advent Software in February 2011.

First apply for the job online on their website. If they are interested, someone will call you and tell you the basics of the hiring process and the job in general.

After this initial call back they will call for a phone interview. I believe it was about 45 minutes but it has been a while.

If you pass the phone interview there will be at least 2 in person interviews. The first interview is a fairly all day event, I remember arriving in the morning and being there for at least 3-4 hours, if not more.

After arriving and greeting, was asked to respond (simulation) to an important upset client by email based on a set of conditions provided, which was about 5-7 facts about the situation. Afterwards there was about 2 hour long group interviews with 2-3 persons each time. They were pleasant and professional.

Interview Questions
    • I honestly cannot remember too much in the field of specific questions, but they did ask riddles that require logical thinking, such as how to measure exactly 4 gallons of water using only a 2 gallon bucket and 3 gallon bucket (the exact details escape me, but there were at least 2 or 3 questions of this type)   View Answers (2)

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advent Software in May 2010.

First went through a recruiter, then got a phone interview with the hiring manager. Then went into the office for in person and met with 4 team members.

Interview Questions
    • What didn't you like about your last manager? What was his/her management style and what skills would your ideal manager possess.   Answer Question

IMG Client Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Advent Software in January 2010.

I recently had a one-on-one interview with apparently the hiring manager of Advent Software. The guy who sets up the interviews, Bill, is very friendly and helpful. Once you check in, you will be given a name tag. Part of the interview included a written assessment, very simple, they asked me to write a response to a customer complaint--it took 15minutes. Then they had me speak to one of their current Client Support Rep's, who was also very friendly, and taught me a lot about the inner operations of Advent Client Support.

The interview, however, did not go so well. I just felt I was not articulating my skills and experience well enough to suit the needs of the Client Support role. Furthermore, the female interviewer seemed to be very low-energy. I could tell she did not really seem to like me when I first met her. I had brought my own copies of my resume and my professional references, and she immediately told me she didn't need them b/c as a company, they want to "save paper". I felt that there were several times she asked me the same question over and over again, and I did not understand why she did that since I felt I had properly answered it. I think she may have been looking for more depth, but it was very frustrating for me. She asked me a brainteaser question which I answerer poorly. She also asked me an IT question, and I felt she didn't like my answer.

At the end of the interview, which was after an hour, she told me she did not get the job. She also said at Advent, they like to be honest with their candidates.

Interview Questions
    • What did you learn from your previous work experiences?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Advent Software in December 2009.

There is a phone screen. If you pass that there is then a phone interview with a Sr. Manager. In this interview you have to teach something to them. If you pass that then there is a two interview process. The first phase is a writing test where you have to respond to an email. The next piece is you meet with a two person team to speak about technical details. There is usually a study guide provided weeks in advance over what they will tell you. After you pass this first part of the interview you will have a final interview with another two person where they will go over all the basic interview questions and make sure you are a match for the team.

Interview Questions
    • They ask some standard trivia brain teasers. The point is to show your problem solving ability.   Answer Question
    0 negotiation. Here is the offer, here is the amount that the role pays. This is brought up very far in advance of the interviews.

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Advent Software in October 2009.

Even though the job title is Application Engineer, Advent's clients are financial services and they want someone with financial services background. They'd rather have someone with financial services background more so than engineering background.

Client Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advent Software in September 2009.

Online application, phone interview, 2 in person interviews then 6-8 weeks of training once hired. Online and oral testing each week with change to lose your job if you don't pass the tests. Final test at the end that determines if you remain hired.