Advertising.com

Updated Jul 15, 2014
Updated Jul 15, 2014

3.4

Associate Business Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Advertising.com.

At first there was a phone screen. Followed by the hiring manager for the team. Then I was brought in to meet with the team. 4 people, 30 minutes each. Basic fit and behavioral questions. Brought in again to meet with more people, a couple brain teasers. And a final meeting with the cultural ambassador.

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advertising.com in June 2012.

1st phone interview with the hiring manager. He asked about my background and explained the position. Then he asked technical questions related to the job description which were as follows:
    Controllability and what is its significance
    Observability and what is its significance
    Detectability
    Stabalizability
    Kalman Filter and its assumptions
    Minimum phase systems

2nd phone interview with the VP of R&D

Stability-discrete and continuous systems
    Kalman filter and its assumption
    Integral Control and its benefit in a PID controller
    Derivative control and its benefits PID controller
    Gradient Descent
    Newton's Method
    Non minimum phase system and its impulse response
    independence and uncorrelatedness
    residual analysis

After this I was called for an in person interview at their Palo Alto office

1st with the dev engineer
    Write down the pseudo code to find a fibonacci series
    Explain your research

2nd with statistics and database engineer
    write down pseudo code to pull data from an excel sheet or database(really simple one)
    explain your research projects

3rd with the Hiring manager again
    what are linearly dependent and independent vectors and what do they signify
    some estimation questions
    difference equations
    a stats case study type of question

4th with the VP again
    explain newton's method and its advantages and disadvantages
    what should one do when both gradient descent and newton's method fail-->answer quasi- newton or simplex method.
    say something about binomial, poisson, exponential, gamma distributions.
    what is a wind up in an integral control
    explain your research

5th culture and diversity person
    nothing technical just company's culture etc.

6th Lunch with another Optimization/machine learning engineer
    during lunch he asked about observers and why are they used
    clustering, hidden markov chains
    feature selection/reduction

7th another stats person
    define eigen values, eigen vectors, singular values, kalman filter
    ARMA model
    independence and correlation
    clustering and if clustering always converges

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Advertising.com in December 2009.

Phone screen by HR. Then phone screen by hiring managers. In person interview was about 3 hours and 6 different people. Two gave me a series of IQ like questions. Most people were from the analysis group, but one or two from sales and another group. The salesy strategy guy was not very nice, but I think that was just the role he was playing during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think are the biggest opportunities for this company   Answer Question

Too much baggage with that company and no clear growth path.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Advertising.com in May 2008.

The R&D office in MW is a great place to work in. Everyone I interacted with was very approachable, nice and ready to help.
    My interview was for an internship position, and happened on the phone. The questions tested my knowledge in feedback control theory, so I was asked to describe Kalman filters, optimal control methods and minimum phase systems.

Project Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Advertising.com in July 2007.

The phone interview with HR went very well. The person was polite, professional, and asked the right questions. I then had another phone interview with the hiring manager. That interviewer was professional and respectful and asked questions relevant to the position. But when I went for an in-person interview, which consisted of 4 sequential interviews, each interviewer was worse than the last. The 4th was an engineer who seemed intent on treating me in a way which was both degrading and insulting. I was put off with myself for even staying through this disrespectful process. I was asked questions completely outside the realm of the position for which I was interviewing. HR was aware that the candidates were being mistreated, but seemed unable to put a stop to it.

Interview Questions
    • How would I go about mentoring a junior engineer and what would I look for when hiring a junior engineer.   View Answer
    • A whiteboard exercise   View Answer

Principal Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Advertising.com.

3 rounds followed by a cultural fit assessment with different managers and professionals.
    The cultural assessment round interviewer seemed like they could a veto a decision.
    Questions like "tell us a time when you helped another colleague not in your department'
    Tell us a time when you thought innovatively.

Software Engineer Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Advertising.com in April 2011.

Very nice workplace. Used to be the old Google building, and it seems to have been remodeled. Interview consisted of four parts, each about an hour long. First asked me about what I would like from the internship and my past coding experience. Then it moved on into a white-board coding/C++ question. After this a different person came in and tested my C++ knowledge. Then there was a one-hour paper test (more coding questions) and then one more interviewer came in for another white-board question. Some of the questions were not so much about coding, but tested your problem-solving abilities and probability intuition. I was really impressed with the difficulty of the interview questions and the intelligence of the interviewers which is largely what led me to accept the offer. I did not expect such rigor from a company I had thought was all but dead, but it turns out that Advertising.com is one of the only things going right for AOL, so don't identify them with one another!

Interview Questions
    • Question that was basically the STL implementation of strcpy.   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Advertising.com in January 2009.

I talked with the hiring manager, the technical team, and the SVP.