Advisory Board

Updated Nov 30, 2014

2.9

32 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Analyst Interview

Applied through college job portal. Initial phone interview and multiple round in-person interviews within one day at headquarters. Although they didn't initially specify how many interviews you would receive that day, it appeared that candidates who excelled received more interviewers. All interviewers were professional and cordial, yet strict and not very helpful in walking you through cases.

Other Interview Reviews for Advisory Board

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Advisory Board in November 2014.

Basic first interview screening phone call. Interviewer was very nice, went straight into opening up about my school and work experiences. Asked me to explain how my experiences/skills would fit the position. At the end of the interview she explained the next steps of the job process, which involved being contacted by a hiring manager and bringing me into the office.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me to explain a group project that I participated in during college.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in November 2014.

Applied through the corporate website. I was contacted within a week, and we set up a first-round phone interview. It was a brief conversation about my experiences, and we basically went over the resume. Then, I got invited to the second-round at the headquarters. It consisted of two case interviews and one writing test. The case interviews are very simple. The two senior consultants I talked to were both late to the interviews, and they didn't seem interested in the interview or myself. HR just schedules these interviews randomly and puts them in their calendars, so they are literally pulled out randomly. The writing test is very ambiguous; it's also case-style, so I had no idea if I was doing it correctly. They cancelled my last interview with a manager. They told me two weeks later that I was not given the position. They don't respond to emails, and there don't give feedback. There is no one recruiter in the process, it's random people just emailing you generic emails. They will also take forever to reimburse me in my travels.

Interview Questions
    • Which state's model of Medicaid reimbursement is the most interesting to you?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

first round behavioral interview followed by an on-site interview that consisted of behavioral and business case-style questions; the interviewers were both enthusiastic and knowledgable and really listened to what you were saying; the cases were average difficulty

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in October 2014.

I applied in mid-October and received an offer to schedule a phone interview for the following week. The interviewer asked basic questions, such as "How did you end up choosing your school/major?", "Walk me through a research project you've done", "How have your writing skills developed over time?", and things of that nature. Overall I didn't think the interview went too bad. A friend of mine also put in a referral for me.

I was contacted a week later and was told that they were moving ahead with other candidates.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in March 2014.

First round consisted of a 30 minute phone interview. Questions were behavioral in nature and were fairly easy. Second round was at the corporate offices in Washington. Two interviews, both with cads studies. First was about operating a food truck business, second about a franchise opportunity. Also given a 90 minute written case study. After reading a case with a potential hospital merger, analyzed pros and cons of the acquisition.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not health care related which was a little odd given the health care nature of the company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

Unfortunately, I can only speak about a phone interview as I was not invited to further interviews. I had applied through the company website and was contacted by e-mail about scheduling an interview about 2 weeks later.

The phone interview itself was straight-forward. The interviewer asked me to "walk" her through my resume and also to describe my "research process." I think this is the formula for a lot of intro Advisory Board interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Both questions -- see above -- can be fairly difficult because they are very open-ended and, given the interface -- a phone interview -- you may not get a "read" or "feel" on what the interviewer is thinking or seeking in an answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Advisory Board in December 2013.

- initial phone interview with an HR rep was very casual, like a discussion
    - ABC then flew me to Washington, D.C. for a day of interviews (3) and a writing test
    - I received an email then phone call within a week notifying me of my offer and describing the compensation and benefits
    - the whole process was extremely pleasant - there were no mind games or unpleasant interviews that often occur during the recruitment process for other companies. everyone was very polite and kind. the only negative component was that I had to wait over a month after my original phone call with the HR rep until I heard back and was invited for a final round. during this month, I sent several thank you and followup emails, but received no response. this was the only unprofessional behavioral I experience during ABC recruitment

Interview Questions
    • If you could change one thing at your university, what would it be?
      Tell me about research you have done.
      A couple of "case" questions (more like thought exercises) related to healthcare

Answer Question
    no negotiation, as entry-level positions have a standardized pay scale

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in November 2013.

I got a phone interview through an internal referral. Pretty straightforward, know your resume well and be prepared to answer why you're interested in healthcare. A couple days later they called to tell me they wanted to fly me in for an in person interview. That was 3 one-on-one interviews, two included a case study. There was also a one-page written case with plenty of time to think and answer. None of the interviews require specific knowledge about healthcare, just clear and logical thinking. The case studies are not like the regular consulting cases. They are about efficiency, marketing, revenue, etc. in various healthcare-related situations, but again, no prior knowledge is required. Keep in mind that if you don't make it to the third interview, you probably didn't get it. Think fast, demonstrate enthusiasm, and you should be okay. A couple of weeks later I received an offer. They were very professional and courteous throughout the entire process.

Interview Questions
    • You have a hospital abroad with a decreasing patient volume. What strategies would you implement to remedy the issue?   Answer Question
    Very little wiggle room.

Analyst Interview

Applied online and was invited to do a phone interview the following day. The phone interview was routine. The day after the phone interview was invited to a second round interview, which included 2 case interviews and a 90 min writing task.