Advisory Board Analyst Interview Questions in Washington, DC

3.1

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in March 2014.

First round consisted of a 30 minute phone interview. Questions were behavioral in nature and were fairly easy. Second round was at the corporate offices in Washington. Two interviews, both with cads studies. First was about operating a food truck business, second about a franchise opportunity. Also given a 90 minute written case study. After reading a case with a potential hospital merger, analyzed pros and cons of the acquisition.

Interview Questions
  • The questions were not health care related which was a little odd given the health care nature of the company.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Advisory Board

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Unfortunately, I can only speak about a phone interview as I was not invited to further interviews. I had applied through the company website and was contacted by e-mail about scheduling an interview about 2 weeks later.

The phone interview itself was straight-forward. The interviewer asked me to "walk" her through my resume and also to describe my "research process." I think this is the formula for a lot of intro Advisory Board interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Both questions -- see above -- can be fairly difficult because they are very open-ended and, given the interface -- a phone interview -- you may not get a "read" or "feel" on what the interviewer is thinking or seeking in an answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in November 2013.

I got a phone interview through an internal referral. Pretty straightforward, know your resume well and be prepared to answer why you're interested in healthcare. A couple days later they called to tell me they wanted to fly me in for an in person interview. That was 3 one-on-one interviews, two included a case study. There was also a one-page written case with plenty of time to think and answer. None of the interviews require specific knowledge about healthcare, just clear and logical thinking. The case studies are not like the regular consulting cases. They are about efficiency, marketing, revenue, etc. in various healthcare-related situations, but again, no prior knowledge is required. Keep in mind that if you don't make it to the third interview, you probably didn't get it. Think fast, demonstrate enthusiasm, and you should be okay. A couple of weeks later I received an offer. They were very professional and courteous throughout the entire process.

Interview Questions
    • You have a hospital abroad with a decreasing patient volume. What strategies would you implement to remedy the issue?   Answer Question
    Very little wiggle room.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Advisory Board.

I had a phone interview and was asked to come in for in-person interviews. I had the interviews and heard nothing from them for a few weeks, despite attempts at making contact. They eventually responded that I hadn't gotten the job but that they'd like to interview me for 2 more teams. Scheduling the interviews was a nightmare and they canceled at the last minute. After interviewing again and a lot of positive feedback, they informed me again that I didn't get the job but that they'd like to interview me for 2 more teams, very different from the Analyst role. At that point, I was quite frustrated and declined to continue with the process since it seemed like a waste of time.

Interview Questions
    • Standard healthcare case questions--you're a hospital executive and need to make a decision of some kind, enter a new market, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

interviewed at Advisory Board in May 2013.

Applied online, HR emailed to set up phone interview -- basic resume/background questions (like others said -- sounded like she was reading off a paper), HR emailed to set up in-person interview -- two case studies, one writing sample, four interviewers (they paid for all expenses, including travel). HR was great and very cordial. Company does have a factory feel and the people that interviewed me addressed this as well -- they hire tons of recent grads and talked about some of the pros/cons.

Interview Questions
    • The in-person case studies were not particularly difficult but as others have said, the interviewers (higher-ups, senior consultants, etc) are not as conversational or helpful as I would expect/experienced in a case-study style interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

interviewed at Advisory Board in October 2012.

Advisory Board contacted me a couple weeks after applying for the analyst position with a phone interview opportunity. I was traveling abroad during the interview, so the technical aspect of the interview was challenging. A conference number was provided, but was not working during the time of the call. The phone interview was cancelled twice a few minutes after the scheduled time of call. This seemed highly unprofessional.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in June 2012.

Submitted an application and was scheduled for a phone interview 2 business days later. The person conducting the phone interview sounded like she was reading from a sheet, gave very standard resume questions, and in general seemed rather strange-- she'd say "uh huh, uh huh" to everything I said and then just go on with the next question.

Two business days later I received an email to set up an in-person interview. The email said that unfortunately they would not be paying candidate travel expenses which, given I was located a thousand miles away, was pretty frustrating to find out at this point. I wrote a professional email back stating that I was frustrated and disappointed to only hear about this policy now and that it would save both HR and candidates a lot of trouble if they'd mention this in either the position description or the phone interview. I quickly received a response apologizing for the confusion: they will pay travel expenses. I'm guessing this is determined either on a case-by-case basis or based on the group the Analyst is being hired for and that this person made a mistake.

The in-person interview began with a 2-on-1 interview with the two people that would be my direct hire-ups. They asked more in-depth questions but nothing too surprising and, after 45-minute, they asked if I'd like to meet with the head of the group I'd be working in. This wasn't on the interview schedule, so I guess they don't want to waste that guy's time unless they like the candidate. I met with the head of the group and had another 45-minute chat with him; questions were similar but I got the impression he was evaluating me more on fit than skills (which they assessed in the first interview). The three people I met for in-person interviews seemed smart, personable, and friendly, so don't let the vibe from HR ruin your interest.

I ended up getting an offer from another company while waiting to hear back on this one and because I accepted it I don't know what the time frame to hear back is. After three weeks they called and said that they wanted to let me know I was still at the top of their list and that they had a few more interviews to do before making a decision; this might have been true or they might have been waiting on someone else's acceptance. I guess I can't be sure.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too unexpected-- read other reviews for more specific questions to prepare for.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in April 2012.

Basic Phone interview - got a decision within the week
    Brought in for an in house interview a week after that
    Met with three people - a 1-on-1 interview, and a 2:1 interview
    Also took an excel test
    Found out after 3 weeks

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in February 2012.

Got a request for a phone interview about a week after I applied online. I also had to complete an excel assessment which is not too difficult. Phone interview is a basic run down of your resume and a few simple behavioral questions. Two days after the phone interview, I get an email for an in-person interview in the DC office. Well, I live 500 miles away, and they expected me to fund my own trip and come in the following week. Wow, I have never experienced anything like this or heard of anything like this before for a semi-respectable company. I was not about to drive 8 hrs each way to make it to the interview or spend 400-500 on a plane ticket, given that I already have a decent job. I wish they had just told me that this was a possibility as I would not have wasted my time completing the assessment and preparing for the phone interview. IF you aren't a local candidate, I would seriously think long before applying here.

Interview Questions
    • How would your manager describe you? Walk me thru your resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in January 2012.

I had a phone interview after submitting my resume to linkedin. As other people have said, it was the basic questions about running through your resume. I was asked about my excel background experience. I also had to take a short excel exam. A couple days later I received an email asking me to come to DC for an interview. The interview was pretty simple. Meet with a few people, same run down on resume and job interests. Received an offer about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose your university/college? Why your major? What would you give as advice to your college's administration?   View Answer

They didn't offer to pay for my transportation to the interview (thankfully I was local and this wasn't too big of a problem, but it still left a sour taste in my mouth). More importantly, I had a better competing offer.

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!