Advisory Board Analyst Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 29, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied through the corporate website. I was contacted within a week, and we set up a first-round phone interview. It was a brief conversation about my experiences, and we basically went over the resume. Then, I got invited to the second-round at the headquarters. It consisted of two case interviews and one writing test. The case interviews are very simple. The two senior consultants I talked to were both late to the interviews, and they didn't seem interested in the interview or myself. HR just schedules these interviews randomly and puts them in their calendars, so they are literally pulled out randomly. The writing test is very ambiguous; it's also case-style, so I had no idea if I was doing it correctly. They cancelled my last interview with a manager. They told me two weeks later that I was not given the position. They don't respond to emails, and there don't give feedback. There is no one recruiter in the process, it's random people just emailing you generic emails. They will also take forever to reimburse me in my travels.

Interview Questions

• Which state's model of Medicaid reimbursement is the most interesting to you?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Advisory Board

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in October 2014.

Interview

I started with an on-campus interview at my university, followed by an in-person all day interview. I was asked to complete a writing sample and an online application. In person interview in the office was the most comprehensive, with four separate cases and brain teasers and behavioral/fit questions.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you would change about your school if you were giving advice to administration? Why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied in mid-October and received an offer to schedule a phone interview for the following week. The interviewer asked basic questions, such as "How did you end up choosing your school/major?", "Walk me through a research project you've done", "How have your writing skills developed over time?", and things of that nature. Overall I didn't think the interview went too bad. A friend of mine also put in a referral for me. I was contacted a week later and was told that they were moving ahead with other candidates.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in March 2014.

Interview

First round consisted of a 30 minute phone interview. Questions were behavioral in nature and were fairly easy. Second round was at the corporate offices in Washington. Two interviews, both with cads studies. First was about operating a food truck business, second about a franchise opportunity. Also given a 90 minute written case study. After reading a case with a potential hospital merger, analyzed pros and cons of the acquisition.

Interview Questions

• The questions were not health care related which was a little odd given the health care nature of the company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

Unfortunately, I can only speak about a phone interview as I was not invited to further interviews. I had applied through the company website and was contacted by e-mail about scheduling an interview about 2 weeks later. The phone interview itself was straight-forward. The interviewer asked me to "walk" her through my resume and also to describe my "research process." I think this is the formula for a lot of intro Advisory Board interviews.

Interview Questions

• Both questions -- see above -- can be fairly difficult because they are very open-ended and, given the interface -- a phone interview -- you may not get a "read" or "feel" on what the interviewer is thinking or seeking in an answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in December 2013.

Interview

- initial phone interview with an HR rep was very casual, like a discussion - ABC then flew me to Washington, D.C. for a day of interviews (3) and a writing test - I received an email then phone call within a week notifying me of my offer and describing the compensation and benefits - the whole process was extremely pleasant - there were no mind games or unpleasant interviews that often occur during the recruitment process for other companies. everyone was very polite and kind. the only negative component was that I had to wait over a month after my original phone call with the HR rep until I heard back and was invited for a final round. during this month, I sent several thank you and followup emails, but received no response. this was the only unprofessional behavioral I experience during ABC recruitment

Interview Questions

• If you could change one thing at your university, what would it be? Tell me about research you have done. A couple of "case" questions (more like thought exercises) related to healthcare   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation, as entry-level positions have a standardized pay scale

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in November 2013.

Interview

I got a phone interview through an internal referral. Pretty straightforward, know your resume well and be prepared to answer why you're interested in healthcare. A couple days later they called to tell me they wanted to fly me in for an in person interview. That was 3 one-on-one interviews, two included a case study. There was also a one-page written case with plenty of time to think and answer. None of the interviews require specific knowledge about healthcare, just clear and logical thinking. The case studies are not like the regular consulting cases. They are about efficiency, marketing, revenue, etc. in various healthcare-related situations, but again, no prior knowledge is required. Keep in mind that if you don't make it to the third interview, you probably didn't get it. Think fast, demonstrate enthusiasm, and you should be okay. A couple of weeks later I received an offer. They were very professional and courteous throughout the entire process.

Interview Questions

• You have a hospital abroad with a decreasing patient volume. What strategies would you implement to remedy the issue?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very little wiggle room.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

I had a phone interview and was asked to come in for in-person interviews. I had the interviews and heard nothing from them for a few weeks, despite attempts at making contact. They eventually responded that I hadn't gotten the job but that they'd like to interview me for 2 more teams. Scheduling the interviews was a nightmare and they canceled at the last minute. After interviewing again and a lot of positive feedback, they informed me again that I didn't get the job but that they'd like to interview me for 2 more teams, very different from the Analyst role. At that point, I was quite frustrated and declined to continue with the process since it seemed like a waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Standard healthcare case questions--you're a hospital executive and need to make a decision of some kind, enter a new market, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in May 2013.

Interview

Applied online, HR emailed to set up phone interview -- basic resume/background questions (like others said -- sounded like she was reading off a paper), HR emailed to set up in-person interview -- two case studies, one writing sample, four interviewers (they paid for all expenses, including travel). HR was great and very cordial. Company does have a factory feel and the people that interviewed me addressed this as well -- they hire tons of recent grads and talked about some of the pros/cons.

Interview Questions

• The in-person case studies were not particularly difficult but as others have said, the interviewers (higher-ups, senior consultants, etc) are not as conversational or helpful as I would expect/experienced in a case-study style interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in October 2012.

Interview

Advisory Board contacted me a couple weeks after applying for the analyst position with a phone interview opportunity. I was traveling abroad during the interview, so the technical aspect of the interview was challenging. A conference number was provided, but was not working during the time of the call. The phone interview was cancelled twice a few minutes after the scheduled time of call. This seemed highly unprofessional.