Advisory Board

Average Difficulty
40 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – I had my personal friend submit my resume. I got a call 2 weeks later from the recruiter. They then to a 1 hour phone screening interview. They have targeted questions to determine experience level and pre-qualify you for the next round. If the recruiter liked your answers then within the next 2 weeks you will get a call from a Sr. Director, Director or a Manager and they will repeat the process again but be more specific. This will be another 1 hour screening call.

Then if you have passed the 2 screening calls within 1 week after the last call they will schedule you for a 3 hour block of physical interviews in the office. Each hour you will meet with either 1 person or a team and they will put you through the interview process of similar questions. After the 3 hours you will be exhausted.

Some interviewer might ask you to demonstrate your SQL knowledge by writing out a script.or ask you to do coding.

The 1st key...they must like you.. I have seen people who were too confident come across as arrogant and the team did not like the person so he was rejected.
The 2nd key...you must know what you what you claim you can do. They will call you out on subjects and ask you to prove it.
The final key...ask questions and then ask more questions and then ask even more questions. They want you to be hungry for the position. Make sure the questions are relevant. People that ask zero questions do not get hired! Don't talk about salary or benefits (wait for the offer to discuss/finalize it).

Interview Question – They like to through people off the track by asking "vague" questions in the middle of an interview to make sure the person is being real and not robotic.

Examples -
1. What do you do during your time away from work?
2. What hobbies do you do?
3. What is your driving motivation to do something?
4. What is the greatest accomplishment you have done in your life (outside of graduating from school)?
  View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – During the offer phase is when you negotiate. What ever salary you agree to...your annual bump in salary will only be 3% to 4% most of the time. So negotiate the best salary for you.

Interviewed at Advisory Board

Interview Details – HR made an appointment for a phone interview and started going down the list of questions automatically. The person had no interest, or maybe lacked experience in actually interviewing a person. Not sure they even took any notes along the interview. After 20 minutes she ended the conversation abruptly.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Business Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – I had submitted my resume online a couple months ago. About 2 months later I was contacted and asked to set up an interview with the recruiter. Phone interview with the recruiter lasted for 20-30 min. General questions about experience, reviewed resume and why I would like to work at Advisory Board.

Interview Question – How have you used large amounts of data to make an informed decision?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – I got a call for the interview of a business analyst position after applying via LinkedIn. Fairly simple interview strictly behavioural. It was hard to understand what they expected out of a candidate as the position seemed rather vague. Overall the interview was quite easy and stuck to situation questions.

Interview Question – Many questions were being repeated, the interviewer kept asking certain facts on my resume which was a little confusing. As far as technical skills were concerned, they did not mention what was required to be a good fit for the position.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in April 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring process took about 5 weeks in total. My first round was a technical screening over the phone, then a three hour long in person interview. I thought the whole process was really well done. The first interview of the three in person interviews was a peer panel. It was a great opportunity to learn about the company and position and informed the following two interviews with higher level folks.

Interview Question – You need to know SQL and some basic database management principles. Specifically, the syntax of joins and the theory behind relational DB structure and normalization. Other than that, the questions are pretty standard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my offer and the process was very positive.

Business Analyst

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in April 2014.

Interview Details – I got an email from a recruiter informing me that I would have a behavioral interview, I prepared accordingly and was pretty confident about the interview. When the interviewer called he mentioned that he will ask me SQL questions, this was completely unexpected and based on that I was pretty pissed off.

Interview Question – They ask some brainteasers so prepare for that.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – Expect 3-4 back to back interviews. 2-3 senior staff interviews and 1 of peers. There will most definitely be some technical (SQL usually) and problem solving questions. Even if you don't have SQL experience it will be in your best interest to learn it (free online). Generally looking for good communication (speaks clearly, can explain technical concepts, isn't too long winded).

Interview Question – Advanced SQL (how to use outer joins creatively) and some difficult brain teasers   Answer Question

Business Analyst

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by HR a week after applying online. The person emailing me sent me interview requests from three different email addresses to finally set up an interview two weeks later. On the day of my phone interview (literally an hour before), the same HR rep emailed me from a different email address asking to reschedule since the hiring manager from the team i would be working with wanted to speak with me instead of having a generic HR rep speak with me. I took this as a good sign, and my interview was pushed out another week. When my phone interview finally came around, I was upset to find out that the interviewer was a generic HR rep instead of the hiring manager. She sounded like she was reading from a script, and wanted m me to simply walk her through my resume. When I tried to tell her more about me, like why I changed jobs or what I learned from my experience, she cut me off and asked me to stick to my resume. This frustrated me more than anything because I felt like she basically wanted me to read my resume to her. After this, I basically didn't care to work for the company anymore. Also, I knew more about the job I was interviewing for than she did. So basically she had never looked at my resumé or the job description.

Interview Question – They weren't difficult at all. Going over my resumé and "how do you manage your time?"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Terrible interview experience. I really feel like during an interview, you're interviewing the company just as much as they're interviewing you. I didn't want to leave my current company for somewhere as mismanaged as the advisory board.

Business Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – It was a phone interview, it lasts about 20 mins and he asked several questions about my background. He was particularly interested the extracurriculars that I did.

Interview Question – What do you see the most vulnerable weakness in yourself?   Answer Question

Business Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – Applied to the position through the website and received an e-mail a week or so later to set up a phone interview with HR. Interview went well - asked me the standard first round interview questions about my interest in the company and work history. Was offered a second round interview a few days later with a woman from a potential department that I would be working in. Interview also went well, and I was told they would be in touch shortly. A week went by, I sent an e-mail to HR inquiring about the status... no one responded. Then, randomly 3 - 4 weeks later I got an e-mail from a different HR person informing me that they would like to bring me in for an in-person interview/ asking when I am available. I was very turned off at this point (not to mention had already received other offers) so declined to continue. My perception of the company is in line with all of the reviews read on this site - seems like there may be great opportunity, but it also may be a chaotic and "frat-like" place.

Interview Question – None. All were standard.   Answer Question

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!