Advisory Board

Updated Oct 15, 2014

2.9

43 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Advisory Board in October 2014.

The whole process took 2 months. I got the first HR phone screening after submit my application through LinkedIn. Easy, basic question. After 1 months, I received another 45min technical interview. High-level SQL questions and some behavioral questions. After 1 week, I got the on-site interview invitation. The final day is 4 rounds, back to back, which is similar, and quite exhausting. I have to know how to write SQL query. I'm nervous so made some mistakes. They will judge you from PM/ Client Management/ Technical. But I'm pretty sure they do not hire anyone without SQL experience.

Interview Questions
  • What's wrong with this table?
    How to decide which are the top 3 fastest horses.
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Advisory Board

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Advisory Board in August 2014.

For the first interview, I was asked standard questions (script-like, if you will) in an effort to allow me to market my skill set and work experience as best I could. It lasted just under 20 mins and the interviewer took notes the whole time, but didn't really deviate from the likely prepared set of questions. No off-the-wall queries.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave your current industry to join health care?   Answer Question
    • How would you deliver bad news to someone?   Answer Question
    • How do you keep track of everything that's on your plate to ensure you remember to do them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

I had my personal friend submit my resume. I got a call 2 weeks later from the recruiter. They then to a 1 hour phone screening interview. They have targeted questions to determine experience level and pre-qualify you for the next round. If the recruiter liked your answers then within the next 2 weeks you will get a call from a Sr. Director, Director or a Manager and they will repeat the process again but be more specific. This will be another 1 hour screening call.

Then if you have passed the 2 screening calls within 1 week after the last call they will schedule you for a 3 hour block of physical interviews in the office. Each hour you will meet with either 1 person or a team and they will put you through the interview process of similar questions. After the 3 hours you will be exhausted.

Some interviewer might ask you to demonstrate your SQL knowledge by writing out a script.or ask you to do coding.

The 1st key...they must like you.. I have seen people who were too confident come across as arrogant and the team did not like the person so he was rejected.
    The 2nd key...you must know what you what you claim you can do. They will call you out on subjects and ask you to prove it.
    The final key...ask questions and then ask more questions and then ask even more questions. They want you to be hungry for the position. Make sure the questions are relevant. People that ask zero questions do not get hired! Don't talk about salary or benefits (wait for the offer to discuss/finalize it).

Interview Questions
    • They like to through people off the track by asking "vague" questions in the middle of an interview to make sure the person is being real and not robotic.

Examples -
      1. What do you do during your time away from work?
      2. What hobbies do you do?
      3. What is your driving motivation to do something?
      4. What is the greatest accomplishment you have done in your life (outside of graduating from school)?
        View Answers (2)
    During the offer phase is when you negotiate. What ever salary you agree to...your annual bump in salary will only be 3% to 4% most of the time. So negotiate the best salary for you.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in July 2014.

This was a phone interview. They were focused on my SQL skills and if I would be a good fit for the social good aspects of the company. The phone interview was pleasant enough. There were high level technical questions but nothing too deep, leaving that for the second round interview. The other items on my resume didn't seem to be of key interest. I got the feeling that they were looking for data mappers more than anything else.

Business Analyst Interview

HR made an appointment for a phone interview and started going down the list of questions automatically. The person had no interest, or maybe lacked experience in actually interviewing a person. Not sure they even took any notes along the interview. After 20 minutes she ended the conversation abruptly.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Advisory Board.

I had submitted my resume online a couple months ago. About 2 months later I was contacted and asked to set up an interview with the recruiter. Phone interview with the recruiter lasted for 20-30 min. General questions about experience, reviewed resume and why I would like to work at Advisory Board.

Interview Questions
    • How have you used large amounts of data to make an informed decision?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Advisory Board.

I got a call for the interview of a business analyst position after applying via LinkedIn. Fairly simple interview strictly behavioural. It was hard to understand what they expected out of a candidate as the position seemed rather vague. Overall the interview was quite easy and stuck to situation questions.

Interview Questions
    • Many questions were being repeated, the interviewer kept asking certain facts on my resume which was a little confusing. As far as technical skills were concerned, they did not mention what was required to be a good fit for the position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

Expect 3-4 back to back interviews. 2-3 senior staff interviews and 1 of peers. There will most definitely be some technical (SQL usually) and problem solving questions. Even if you don't have SQL experience it will be in your best interest to learn it (free online). Generally looking for good communication (speaks clearly, can explain technical concepts, isn't too long winded).

Interview Questions
    • Advanced SQL (how to use outer joins creatively) and some difficult brain teasers   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in April 2014.

The hiring process took about 5 weeks in total. My first round was a technical screening over the phone, then a three hour long in person interview. I thought the whole process was really well done. The first interview of the three in person interviews was a peer panel. It was a great opportunity to learn about the company and position and informed the following two interviews with higher level folks.

Interview Questions
    • You need to know SQL and some basic database management principles. Specifically, the syntax of joins and the theory behind relational DB structure and normalization. Other than that, the questions are pretty standard.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate my offer and the process was very positive.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in April 2014.

I got an email from a recruiter informing me that I would have a behavioral interview, I prepared accordingly and was pretty confident about the interview. When the interviewer called he mentioned that he will ask me SQL questions, this was completely unexpected and based on that I was pretty pissed off.