Advisory Board

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – I got a call for the interview of a business analyst position after applying via LinkedIn. Fairly simple interview strictly behavioural. It was hard to understand what they expected out of a candidate as the position seemed rather vague. Overall the interview was quite easy and stuck to situation questions.

Interview Question – Many questions were being repeated, the interviewer kept asking certain facts on my resume which was a little confusing. As far as technical skills were concerned, they did not mention what was required to be a good fit for the position.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – I submitted an application and was invited for a first-round interview a few days later. The first interview was fairly basic and the questions were straightforward and expected. Two weeks later I got invited for a second-round interview at Washington D.C. However, this did not get scheduled for another month and a half. They took care of the travel needs, which was appreciated.
The second- round interviews were harder than expected. They consisted of two back to back interviews with higher ups in the department, with more focus on behavioral questions than case interviews. The case interview was surprisingly the most straightforward.
The writing portion was fair.

Interview Question – Behavioral questions were slightly unconventional.   Answer Question

Business Analyst, Interview

Business Analyst,
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in April 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume online and was surprised to get a call back a few months later. HR set up a screening time and the first in phone interview was very easy. She was impressed and decided to move me to the final round. I flew to DC for 3 back to back interviews. I was supposed to have a case interview, a client skills interview, and a technical interview. The client skills interview went okay, they were looking for being honest with the client. There was no technical interview, my interviewer was switched at the last second and it was another behavioral interview. The case interview caught me by surprise, because I was expecting a full blown case on solving a client's profits/costs/etc. It was so simple that I over-thought it and didn't get the offer.

Interview Question – What if your project is behind schedule and the clients are not doing the work, what do you tell the CEO?   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in September 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume online via their career portal. I received a call a few days later from HR for a screening. Later that day I received and email to set up another call with HR. An in-house interview date was scheduled for the following week. I was scheduled to meet with 4 people: 1 hr, 1 hr, 30 min, 30 min. I did a basic case study with one interviewer and a basic analysis of healthcare related data with a second interviewer. All in all, very basic questions - mostly behavioral. Come prepared with lots of scenarios.

Two days later I received a call from a Director within HR to tell me that I did not get the BA position. They offered it to a current employee making a lateral jump for the BA position. Understandable. However, the team was impressed with me and asked the Director to find another position. He scheduled a 2nd in-house interview. Same format as before. Met with 4 more people over 2 hours.

I waited two weeks before contacting HR to inquire on the positions. The Director informed me that the position was filled. I asked for feedback on my interviews. We scheduled a call the following day to give him time to review all of the notes. 7/8 on positive comments and recommendations for a job offer. One interviewer asked me where I saw myself in 5 years. I replied that eventually I would lie to obtain my MBA/MHA. Apparently that was a red flag with her. The HR Director informed me that she was unsure for my commitment to staying with the company in the long term. She was reserved because Business Analyst positions are difficult to fill.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in May 2012.

Interview Details – I received a call back the next day after I applied online for a Business Analyst position. This first call was just a brief 10 minute HR screen. The person obviously read scripted questions and was not paying attention, only providing the occasional "uh hu" or "that sounds good". This was my first cue that this would not lead anywhere and was previously mentioned in another review. At the end of the call the person mentioned that they would forward my information to the hiring manager and contact me should they be interested in bringing me in to DC. Well I did receive an email confirming I made it to the next round BUT the recruiter also mentioned this would be another phone interview. This call was only about 20 minutes and seemingly the same questions asked in the HR screen by some person who was not the person I was told would be conducting the interview-second warning. A few days later I got another email stating I would be interviewing further for two different types of Business Analyst roles(global technologies and a local role in DC). I was asked to confirm my availability and was told the hiring manager was traveling overseas so yet another phone interview needed to be scheduled-third and final warning this was not going to happen. We confirmed the interview and then two weeks later(the week of the final interview) I was emailed saying the company no longer wished to pursue me. I thought the whole process was unorganized and completely turned me off to this company. They email you the name of one person who would be conducting the interview and every time it was some other person. I believe the recruiters may just be looking to fill quotas in screens versus actually finding qualified people. I would not recommend interviewing with this company. Try Accenture or Deloitte where the process is straight forward and seamless. I am in the process of interviewing with larger firms with no issues whatsoever.

Interview Question – All questions were generic and based on my resume(even on the technical screen)   Answer Question

Washington, DC

The process took a day - interviewed at Advisory Board in April 2011.

Interview Details – After an employee referral, I waited 1 month until I was contacted by email asking for an interview, then another month to actually schedule the phone interview. I had one first round phone interview.

They asked basic questions about my resume and why wanted to work there.

I know a lot of people who interviewed there and were never hired, so I had low hopes.

Interview Question – Walk me through your resume   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in February 2011.

Interview Details – I'm not even sure where to being, but this was the weirdest experience yet. I had gone through the normal phone interview process, asked general questions about work experience and why I thought would be a good fit. Well I passed that, but even prior to all that the more I researched about the company the less I had respect for it. But I still gave it the benefit of the doubt and thought it would be better not to make any judgements until I see how their work culture is. What I disliked was the assembly line of people that were coming and going during interview day. The panel looked bored and it was obvious they had seem plenty of people before me, and well it was hard to take them seriously. I'm young and while i think it's good to have a good young workforce there should also be a balance.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – I had a better offer at another consulting company.

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Advisory Board in April 2010.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with a recruiter. I interviewed for an analyst position with the business intelligence unit. The questions were behavioral and resume based. Examples include walk me through your resume, why are you interested in the ABC, pretty standard questions. Then there are some more specific questions asking about my experience managing multiple projects etc.

Interview Question – What excites you about data analysis?   Answer Question

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!