Advisory Board

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – Submitted application online and had a standard HR phone interview 2 weeks later reviewing resume/company in general. Two weeks after the phone interviewed, received an offer to interview in person. Paid own travel out to DC to meet with marketing coordinators and team. Questions were mostly behavioral/right fit for company. Received job offer a week later.

Interview Question – They start every question with "I'd love to know.." so be have examples of different experiences/reasons why. What motivates you?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Very low pay

Interviewed at Advisory Board

Interview Details – I applied online and the process took 1 week. I received a phone call from a recruiter on Monday then spoke with a hiring manger on Tuesday. I received an email from a coordinator later that day and scheduled an onsite interview. The interview process itself was chaotic. I had numerous interviews scheduled and numerous interviewers didn't show up and no one knew why. The person who coordinated the interviews took the day off so things were extra crazy. It seemed there was a lot of miscommunication. However the interviewers I did meet with were extremely nice and apologetic. Another coordinator rescheduled my missed interviews as phone conferences.

Interview Question – Why do you want this job?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in June 2013.

Interview Details – First had a phone interview which took about 25 minutes. Was asked why the advisory board company? What is healthcare? Explain what you think the advisory board culture is like., Explain a process you have improved at work or school? How do you manage stress? What is your strength? What is your weakness?...Pretty simple stuff.

Then had two in-person interviews. The first one was with an executive assistant and a senior coordinator. Were both very friendly and made me feel welcomed. Asked me a lot of the same questions in my phone interview, along with questions about my organizational skills, how I would speak to upper management, what I would do if I was having trouble with another employee.

My last interview was with an executive who was also very charming and made me feel welcomed. Asked me basically the same questions the other two did and opened up the floor for me to ask questions where I asked her about how I can grow within the company and her experience with the company.

Interview Question – What process have I improved in a past work or school experience?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – I applied for the position and received a phone call the next day to set up an interview. I had two phone interviews, followed by an in person interview. While applying for one position, they said I would be a strong candidate for two other positions and would be considered for all three. After the interview, I did not hear back for over two months.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you failed.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in June 2013.

Interview Details – This is the most terrible interviewing process I have ever been through. Not because of the difficulty, but because the HR department was extremely unprofessional and insensitive. First I had a basic first round phone call interview for three positions I did not apply for. This was highly frustrating because the positions were in higher education when I specifically applied for roles in healthcare. So, when the recruiter kept asking me why I wanted to work in higher education I was angry and almost couldn't answer. I was then asked to come out to the DC office. However, this company does not pay for low level prospects to fly out. Although put off by this, I would have been okay with paying my own way if they had given me a decent amount of time to find a flight. HR had scheduled my interview for 3 days after I was told I was invited to the office which gave me no chance of finding an flight, let alone one I could afford. After speaking with HR they said it was an error and then scheduled my interview for two weeks later.

When I arrived in DC the day before my interview, I received an email that they had a changed my interview and I was now only interviewing for two positions which had changed the schedule and time I was to be at the office. By this point I was thoroughly annoyed with the HR department.

The two interviews were very basic. They asked about my resume and experience and asked behavioral questions. Both the interviewers were late which added to the unprofessionalism of the company. They try to draw you in with the fact that everyone is young and the company outings are fun. Do not listen. The bad in this company outweighs the good.

As soon as I left the office, I received an email from HR that they had actually messed up my schedule for interviewing, once again, and I was supposed to have a third interview later that day. However, this would be rescheduled as a phone interview a week later due to their mistake. At that point, with all the mistakes made I decided no matter what, I was not going to work for this company. They are completely unprofessional in the hiring process and the interviewers in DC were not that much better. They have a high turnover rate because people want to get out quick. They lie in the job descriptions, at least for the coordinator role, because they do not want you to know you will basically be a secretary. Last, their pay is HORRIBLE. If you are just starting out, you will not be able to survive on their salary in DC without outside help.

Interview Question – Give me a time when you failed at a project and how did you fix the situation?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The company was the most unprofessional organization I have interviewed for, their pay is embarrassingly low compared to other companies in the same field, and moving out of state to basically be a secretary was not worth it. I ended up taking a position at another company that paid more and was not a disappointment to the industry.

Washington, DC

I interviewed at Advisory Board in July 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview and then in person with five people in three interviews. Took a long time to get the initial call about doing an interview, but after that the process moved really quickly. Received an offer and they wanted me to start the next week. I needed a job and was sold on the growth potential at the firm so I took it!

Interview Question – Will not let you give a "cop out" answer when asked what one of your weaknesses is.   View Answer

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Advisory Board in June 2012.

Interview Details – I interviewed for the marketing coordinator position after receiving an email online. The questions were basic but the interviewer was difficult to read, offered little insight into the corporate culture, and very rarely said anything other than "Ok."
Generally I am a pretty good interviewer, have received the majority of internships I have interviewed for and for whatever reason I bombed this interview and did not click at all with the interviewer. Take extra time to prep if you struggle with phone interviews.

Interview Question – Using tangible descriptions and numeric references please describe a situation where you reached a challenging goal.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in March 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for a position at Advisory Board online and received an e-mail the next day to set up a phone screening. The phone screening was pretty standard with questions to just get to know me better as a candidate. The next day, I received an e-mail to setup an interview to come into the office for an in-person interview with a few members of the team. This is where things started to become a bit unorganized. The first e-mail I received offered me two different jobs to interview for: both coordinator positions, but in different departments. A week or so later, I received an e-mail saying one of the positions had been filled. They then offered me another position to interview for in the research department, which I accepted. The e-mails were very pleasant and the recruiter always was quick to respond to any questions I had. They gave me the names and titles of the people I would be speaking with and my interview schedule, but when I showed up at their office the next week my whole schedule was changed. I had a much fuller interview schedule that day than anticipated and was notified that I would be speaking with different people than what was printed in my e-mail so I had no idea what positions anyone held going in. It was all very confusing.

The interviews themselves were pretty pleasant and easy. Everyone was really nice, young, and easy to talk. In one of my discussions, we went 10 minutes over our scheduled time and the interviewer told me that it had gone really well, she liked the conversation we were having, thought I would be a good fit, and that she would definitely get back to me within the next couple weeks. After a comment like this, I thought I had a job offer in the bag. That's not how it worked out. I sent the standard thank you e-mails to each of my interviewers the next day (they had given me their business cards) and then I waited two weeks with no response. Three weeks later, I finally sent them an e-mail asking them where I was in the process. I received an e-mail from the recruiter saying I would not be offered a position at this time. That was a big slap in the face. What person makes such raving comments like that to a candidate and then offers no reason as to why there was no offer? I'm upset that I wasted my time and money to come down to DC - yes, you have to pay travel fees out of your own pocket. I thought I was a great candidate and I was really interested in the position, but honestly I am now clueless as to what kind of qualities they're looking for.

Interview Questions

Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – Submitted an online application at the end of August and received an email for an interview about 3 days later. Initial phone screening interview was set for the next week. It lasted 30 minutes with typical questions. Within 2 days, I got the next email asking for an in-person interview in DC. I live far enough so that I'd have to fly. Company didn't offer to pay for travel, so I paid it myself for a trip the week after. I had 2 one-on-one interviews, each lasting about 30 minutes. I thought I answered all the questions well and felt confident.

The next morning I received another email asking for a conference call with the Director and Associate Director of the department. This was scheduled for the next week. The call ended only between me and the Associate Director. Director never joined the conference call. Associate Director said we would be in contact. At this point I still felt confident but was wondering if 3 rounds of interviews was necessary for an entry level position.

1.5 weeks later, I get a phone call asking for a fourth round of phone interview with the 2 Directors. Again, I answered all questions confidently. The 2 Directors assured me I would have a final decision within the week. 2 weeks past and nothing, so I email. The recruiting manager tells me that the department is "reevaluating their needs for a new Coordinator', basically telling me that they are closing the position. They offer me to interview for another position in person in DC. I ask for travel reimbursement and they refuse. I try to negotiate and perhaps interview through Skype or phone first. They refuse.

I give up. I've spent 6 weeks of time and paid my own trip to DC just so they can change their mind about the position. Super unprofessional.

Interview Question – If there was one thing you could change about the university you attended, what would it be?   Answer Question

Coordinator

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in November 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online and received request for phone interview after one week, which was by far the fastest turn around I had in my search. I did the interview that week. I had a very nice preliminary interview with the recruited; I "walked [her] through" my resume and talked at considerable length about my undergrad experience (what I loved about it, why I chose it). Then, less than 48 hours later, I was invited to interview with three different people. My interviews with the ones seeking a Coordinator went particularly well - one lasted a half hour over time and we discussed finer points of healthcare industry and the other was very similar to my phone interview (basic questions, but very warm and friendly while still being professional). Two days later, I received another e-mail requesting a final phone interview with a supervisor. She asked about my interest and experience with healthcare and a lot about my skills and strengths. Because of the holidays, I had to wait approx. 2 weeks to receive my offer. Overall, everyone was e tremely accomodating, professional, and friendly. They seem to be looking for smart people with a demonstrated interest in not only the position, but the mission of the firm as a whole.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Advisory Board

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Advisory Board Coordinator interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by Advisory Board employees and interview candidates.