Advisory Board

1 candidate interview Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Corporate Finance Analyst Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in October 2012.

Interview Details – RUN AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. This company is such a joke it's not funny. Read the reviews and be cautious that there is an extremely high turnover rate. My opinion of this company is negative based on my interview experience (below) and after speaking with 2 friends who used to work there. These two friends confirmed that the company does not treat their employees well and people are constantly quitting.

Interview Experience:
After accidently submitting my application on the website without a cover letter, I immediately thought I wouldn't be reviewed for the position. The next day, however, I received an e-mail asking to set up a phone interview. I thought it was a little odd that I received such a quick response -- especially since I didn't attach a cover letter. If I had read these glassdoor reviews beforehand, however, I would have known this company has a HUGE turnover rate and they are constantly trying to hire people that quit. This was the first red flag.

The phone interview was very easy - typical behavioral questions - and I was told I would get a second interview by the end of the conversation. When I interviewed in DC, I had two 1-1 interviews and an Excel test. The second redflag was that the interview waiting area was filled with people interviewing. I sparked up a few conversations with people in my area and they were all applying for different positions -- another big sign that the company is constantly hiring in ALL departments. My first interviewer was 10 minutes late - not a big deal. Then I waited for my second interviewer to show up and no one came. 15 minutes go by...then 20....I finally decide to ask the receptionist about it. Apparently the interviewer forgot about the interview! She finally came down but by then we were 25 minutes off schedule. This has been mentioned in several reviews on this website so it's obvious the company doesn't value current or future employees. If they are late for an interview, imagine how many times people forget about daily meetings.

After my second interview, I was supposed to go to lunch. My schedule never specified with who so I just waited in the interview reception area. No one showed up! The receptionist called and e-mailed the HR rep to figure out what I was supposed to do but she never received a response. Long story short, I sat there for 45 minutes and had no lunch. That, and the late interviews, was the third red flag. I was debating whether to walk out of the whole interview but I knew that would be disrespectful and stayed. After completing the Excel test, the receptionist said I was done for the day. I was extremely happy to get out of such a terrible company and beelined for the elevators.

Reading these reviews and seeing that my experience is not a one-time experience is appalling. The company should really be ashamed of themselves. Fortunately, they paid for my travel expenses because I would have been furious if I spent a dime on the interview.

Long story short, don't waste your time. Even if you do accept the position, the salary is not competitive and you will likely quit after a year or two. Save the time and frustration and apply somewhere else.

p.s. their 92% renewal rate that they keep boasting about is a bogus number. The second interviewer even said it's misleading. If a company has a 3 year contract with Advisory Board starting in 2010 for instance, they consider that the company has "renewed" two times -- in 2011 and 2012. So if a company has a 4 year contract, they say they renewed 3 times -- every year after the original date. That's not what I call renewing a subscription -- that's just part of the original contract! The 92% is obviously extremely inflated.

Interview Question – Questions about financial statements.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I haven't heard back yet. I'd be happy never hearing from the company. If I do get an offer, I will most definitely decline.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Advisory Board

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Advisory Board Corporate Finance Analyst interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Advisory Board employees and interview candidates.