Advisory Board

Updated Oct 1, 2014

3.2

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Advisory Board in April 2014.

1 phone interview with HR (who did not remember he had previously talked to me when he called me back after my in-person interview), followed by a day of in-person interviews at the DC office. The in-person interviews included 1 with a Manager and 2 with Directors, followed by a 20 minute presentation and Q&A for 2 Directors and 1 VP.

Interview Questions
  • 1. How do you handle uncertainty? Ambiguity?
    2. How do you get doctors, who are extremely busy, to use a health care performance improvement application/product?
    3. What is your biggest weakness? What do you think you need to work on?
    4. How would you help a hospital executive tackle population health in his system? (i.e. what metrics would you look at first? what populations?)

Answer Question
Tried to negotiate, they did not budge on base salary. But, I was able to combine my relocation and signing bonus into one signing bonus - my move wouldn't be that expensive.

Other Interview Reviews for Advisory Board

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Advisory Board in March 2013.

Pretty standard questions for behavioral question. What are your strengths and weaknesses. How do you think you could help the team. If you've made it this far, you're doing pretty well. They want to see your thought process and if you'll be a good fit for the team. Be prepared to answer a case question. If you haven't done one before google some. The question is to determine your thought process and reason for supporting.

Interview Questions
    They were not willing to negotiate salary I think this has to do with the ranges on the salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Initial and second round interview rounds were scheduled quickly. Response for moving from initial round to second round was quick as well, but the response from after the second round was incredibly delayed - 3 1/2 weeks with no response to my follow up email after a week and a half.

Interview Questions
    • Business case about the amount of revenue received for tuxedos   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in November 2011.

Got an email about a week after applying online inviting me to interview for a research analyst position (which I originally applied for). Initial interview was on the phone with an HR representative; simple, standard experience and behavioral questions. At the end of interview, the interviewer suggested I also apply for the dedicated advisor/analyst position. I agreed to apply in addition to applying to the position I originally wanted, but HR took the initiative to disregard my application for the research analyst position from then on. I was then invited to an in-person interview about a week later. I had 4, one-on-one interviews and a writing test, which was a case question. Two of the interviews included a simple case question and the other two were simple behavioral/experience focused. About 2 weeks after that, I was invited to interview with one last team member, either in-person on the phone. Two weeks after that interview, I followed up with HR and got a rejection email on the same day.

The interviews themselves were easy-average in difficulty. Interviewers were all very friendly and made me feel comfortable. I agree with previous posters that ABC seems like employees are constantly rotating in and out of the company. On both days I went into the office, I met several people who were interviewing for various positions and the sign-in sheet was very full. I wasn't impressed with HR. They have different people contact you with each stage, which adds to the feeling of being on a rotation line within the ABC interview process, and they asked me for my resume each time after scheduling interviews, showing lack of coordination and organization.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in July 2011.

Was contacted a day after I applied. Interviewed with an HR recruiter over phone. The interview itself was quite HR focused asking general questions. The recruiter however went deep into project management even till what software tools to use. A lot of questions were quite a bit pointed and none of them were directed towards my experience in the healthcare sector or my understanding of the Healthcare bill. The interview lasted around 45 minutes but I had a feeling that the HR did not really ask me anything relevant which is consistent with other reviews here. I won't say it was a bad experience but overall I felt a bit disappointed for not getting through to the second round even after the recruiter explicitly mentioned that I'd be getting an email regarding next steps. The next I heard from them was after 6 weeks since the first round interview. I sent a couple of emails after a week and two weeks but never heard back. As I said, it was a disappointing experience overall because I thought highly of ABC prior to this.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in November 2010.

Applied for a Strategic Research Analyst position and was asked to interview for a Dedicated Advisor position. Phone interview was basic; The interviewer just asked me to go over my resume, why I selected my college, how I prioritize, and my areas of healthcare interest. I was contacted 1 day after my phone interview to come for an in-person interview. I was told I was going to interview with 2 people, but when I arrived, they told me I was going to interview with 3. Questions asked were about my experience, how comfortable I was with presenting, what I knew about the Advisory Board and the position, why I wanted to work there, what my opinion on healthcare reform was, what I was most proud of, and what I did and did not like about past positions. Each interviewer asked me a "case question." The case question was a scenario with a problem (similar to the types of problems encountered in that type of position). They then asked me how I would go about solving the problems and what type of questions I would ask. 6 days later I got an email stating that they would not be offering me the job.

Overall, the in-person interview felt like a production line. My first interviewer asked if I had been interviewing with different people all day. From the sign-in sheet, I could see that there had already been tons of other interviews that day, and I saw 2 people leaving interviews during the 15 minutes I was in the waiting area. The interviewers were very nice, but it was obvious from some of the questions that they did not take a close look at my resume.

Though it's always disappointing to get rejected, I was okay with not getting the job there. Even before I heard back, I had already accepted another job offer. Right after I interviewed, I was able to speak to a former Georgetown professor who knew a lot of recent grads who got jobs there. Though she didn't explicitly state it, it was clear she didn't recommend working there. She said that they "work you like a dog," and people often work 16 hour days. On the plus side, if you are willing to sacrifice a lot of to your personal life, it's a great opportunity to get some good experience. My decision not to wait to hear back was based on my conversation with her and a number of other things not directly related to ABC. Finally, if you are a fashionista, you might enjoy working there. Lots of young people and trendy clothes - I kind of felt like I was watching an episode of "The Hills" or "The City." Seemed like people all got along well together too which is always a good thing if you are working long hours.

Interview Questions
    • Case Queston for Nursing Compass: A nurse manager wants to know why patient satisfaction /quality measures are low on one of her units. How would you help her?   Answer Question
    • Case Question for Spend Compass: A physician will only use one vendor for knee replacements. The vendor is charging twice as much as similar vendors. How would you convince the physician to use another product?   Answer Question
    • General Case Question asked by Executive Director: A hospital has one employed bariatric surgeon in a new bariatric surgery program. Profits are 10% less than expected, but some of the surgeries are more profitable than anticipated. Two bariatric surgeons want to also become employed by the hospital. How would you advise them?   Answer Question