Advisory Board

Updated Sep 17, 2014

2.2

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in September 2014.

Initially applied for another position but after the phone interview was interviewed for the Director postion. The phone interview with one of the Directors was very pleasant, the in person interview was pale to start with. It seemed like the interview was forced to do the interviews. One of the interviewers cancelled at the last moment, which didn't seem like a coincidence to me.
Highly unimpressive.

Interview Questions
  • the interview itself wasn't difficult, the interviewer least interested could be because it was Monday morning. One of the interviewers cancelled at the last moment. I'm not sure if that was on purpose because the first one had reservations. Either way, I think it's unprofessional and I haven't heard anything back as far as rescheduling the interview goes.
    My gut feeling is, that is not happening, but as a common courtesy, I would have appreciated least an email saying "We are pursuing other candidates".
    It's a little demeaning the way they treat candidates also shows that they have no respect for other people's time.

This has left a bad taste to me and would definitely not feel confident about working in a place that is not professional enough.

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Advisory Board

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Advisory Board in May 2014.

I would describe the recruiting process as disappointing. The ABC has a culture better suited to recent graduates who do not have any baseline for what constitutes a respectful interview experience. As a seasoned, mid-career professional, red flags were flying from the start.

First, my recruiting contact was disorganized. E-mail communications had mismatched dates / days, and I had to double-check her work for accuracy – repeatedly.

Furthermore, I found the in-person office visit poorly organized and disrespectful of my time. Scheduled one hour interviews were truncated to 30 minutes (they ran out of questions), and there were gaps in the schedule longer than 3 hours. I literally had to sit on a couch and wait for hours between interviews. No one from HR explained the situation. Not even one senior person stepped forward to appologize. The receptionist was my primary point of contact that day. I had a fun morning / afternoon sitting next to 22 year-old kids interviewing for their first job out of college (one who just graduated from my alma mater!).

Finally, I found the interviews themselves lackluster. The questions were random, poorly thought, and lacked a cohesive thread. The case study was simple for anyone who reads a newspaper and has a basic knowledge of health care.

Frankly, ABC staffers gave the impression they are too self-absorbed in their own day-to-day minutia to provide a meaningful interview experience. I am certain an ABC executive reading this would state I did not have the right ‘independent’ or ‘flexible spirit.’ Whatever – they did not put their best foot forward. If a place can't show their best side during an interview, what will happen when you need management support for a critical business issue? I provided this feedback after the interview day knowing it would kill the job opportunity, as I could not fathom working for this company.

Interview Questions
    • Senior Director: "Are you afraid of coming on board to that position knowing all the trouble they are having in that unit?"   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

The process consisted of an initial screening interview, a series of in-person interviews with the hiring manager and peers, and a third round of interviews with the hiring manager and a second level manager.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected - lots of good questions about past experience, opinions on strategy, etc.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate a little bit (but not as much as I hoped) on base salary, and negotiated a signing bonus.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in February 2012.

This is a review for an experienced position, as opposed to the many interviews that happen for entry level spots.

I was originally contacted by a recruiter/head hunter, and I expressed interest in the position. I had a phone interview with the recruiter, who determined I was a potential fit. My profile was given to the hiring manager and a few days later a one on one interview with the hiring manager was arranged.

Advisory Board has numerous interview rooms at their office, and after waiting for a few minutes I was taken into one of these rooms. The interview was with the person who would be my boss. There were several questions about my background, what motivates me, where I see myself going in the future, and several questions to assess my knowledge for the particular position. Overall this took about an hour. All in all pretty standard, and I've got a good feeling about the place.

After this I was quickly selected for a second round of interviews with more people at varying levels and experience. These interviews were similar to the one above. Nothing too crazy here. At the conclusion of these interviews I met with the hiring manager who told me they were impressed, and were going to give me an offer in the next two days. Great!.... or so I think at this point.

A few days go by, and I haven't received anything. Odd I think, but who knows about HR departments. It's been over a week now, so I decide to give the hiring manager a call to let them know I'm still interested, etc. No response, no follow up, no contact at all from someone who seemed to be falling all over themselves to hire me, and told me they were going to offer me the position. A few more days go by, and I finally get a call from the recruiter who tells me they weren't going to offer me the position. I ask the recruiter if they had any feedback or explanation as to what caused the change of events, but the recruiter has nothing. I'm left hanging out in the wind wondering what went wrong. I'm obviously bummed, but at this point I'm pretty sure I don't want to work for this company anyway after the way they have treated me.

All in all the interview process was very professional up until the point it concluded. I really feel like they were extremely dishonest, and didn't have the common courtesy to explain why they changed their mind. It's a good thing I didn't quit my current job! I would think long and hard about accepting a job at this company. It's clear from their turnover and they way they handle themselves that they view employees as commodities. I also think this type of dishonesty in the hiring process is a byproduct of the corporate culture. Be wary.....

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what motivates you in the work environment.   Answer Question
    • What can you specifically add to this team that is better than what we already have?   Answer Question