Advisory Board

2 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Director Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – The process consisted of an initial screening interview, a series of in-person interviews with the hiring manager and peers, and a third round of interviews with the hiring manager and a second level manager.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected - lots of good questions about past experience, opinions on strategy, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate a little bit (but not as much as I hoped) on base salary, and negotiated a signing bonus.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Director Interview

Director
Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in February 2012.

Interview Details – This is a review for an experienced position, as opposed to the many interviews that happen for entry level spots.

I was originally contacted by a recruiter/head hunter, and I expressed interest in the position. I had a phone interview with the recruiter, who determined I was a potential fit. My profile was given to the hiring manager and a few days later a one on one interview with the hiring manager was arranged.

Advisory Board has numerous interview rooms at their office, and after waiting for a few minutes I was taken into one of these rooms. The interview was with the person who would be my boss. There were several questions about my background, what motivates me, where I see myself going in the future, and several questions to assess my knowledge for the particular position. Overall this took about an hour. All in all pretty standard, and I've got a good feeling about the place.

After this I was quickly selected for a second round of interviews with more people at varying levels and experience. These interviews were similar to the one above. Nothing too crazy here. At the conclusion of these interviews I met with the hiring manager who told me they were impressed, and were going to give me an offer in the next two days. Great!.... or so I think at this point.

A few days go by, and I haven't received anything. Odd I think, but who knows about HR departments. It's been over a week now, so I decide to give the hiring manager a call to let them know I'm still interested, etc. No response, no follow up, no contact at all from someone who seemed to be falling all over themselves to hire me, and told me they were going to offer me the position. A few more days go by, and I finally get a call from the recruiter who tells me they weren't going to offer me the position. I ask the recruiter if they had any feedback or explanation as to what caused the change of events, but the recruiter has nothing. I'm left hanging out in the wind wondering what went wrong. I'm obviously bummed, but at this point I'm pretty sure I don't want to work for this company anyway after the way they have treated me.

All in all the interview process was very professional up until the point it concluded. I really feel like they were extremely dishonest, and didn't have the common courtesy to explain why they changed their mind. It's a good thing I didn't quit my current job! I would think long and hard about accepting a job at this company. It's clear from their turnover and they way they handle themselves that they view employees as commodities. I also think this type of dishonesty in the hiring process is a byproduct of the corporate culture. Be wary.....

Interview Questions

• Tell me what motivates you in the work environment.   Answer Question
  • What can you specifically add to this team that is better than what we already have?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Advisory Board

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Advisory Board Director interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Advisory Board employees and interview candidates.