Advisory Board Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

2.8

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Very streamlined process. My resume was submitted to HR through a friend's referral. Within two weeks, HR contacted me for a phone interview. Within another two weeks, I had an in-person interview that consisted of speaking with two practice managers and an executive director (3 hours) as well as a one-hour writing test.

Interview Questions
    Upon pushing back at their initial offer, they increased the base by 5% and offered a starting bonus.

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in September 2014.

Initially applied for another position but after the phone interview was interviewed for the Director postion. The phone interview with one of the Directors was very pleasant, the in person interview was pale to start with. It seemed like the interview was forced to do the interviews. One of the interviewers cancelled at the last moment, which didn't seem like a coincidence to me.
    Highly unimpressive.

Interview Questions
    • the interview itself wasn't difficult, the interviewer least interested could be because it was Monday morning. One of the interviewers cancelled at the last moment. I'm not sure if that was on purpose because the first one had reservations. Either way, I think it's unprofessional and I haven't heard anything back as far as rescheduling the interview goes.
      My gut feeling is, that is not happening, but as a common courtesy, I would have appreciated least an email saying "We are pursuing other candidates".
      It's a little demeaning the way they treat candidates also shows that they have no respect for other people's time.

This has left a bad taste to me and would definitely not feel confident about working in a place that is not professional enough.
        Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Advisory Board in April 2014.

I was contacted for an interview for one job that I applied for, and the HR manager asked if I would also be interested in this other position. I said yes and asked for the job description to be sent. Never received it, so I had zero idea of what my interview was going to be about. Started out with phone interviews with an HR manager. Next step was a phone call with two of the team members for the department I was looking at. Third call was with the senior manager in the department. All went well, or so I thought. I didn't hear anything from HR for weeks and weeks. When I finally did get an email, it was from someone else in HR trying to set up a first-round interview for a job I didn't apply for. I was so confused. I don't know what happened. Never heard from anyone in the first department I talked to. HR really didn't have it together.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty basic questions. Asked about how you work in teams, under pressure, what is your experience with health care and higher education.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in August 2014.

Was referred by a current employee, not sure if that sped up the process or not... I received an email about a week after sending in my resume asking to set up an interview over Skype/Facetime/etc. The interview was a week later and ended up being a phone interview due to "technical problems". The questions were very standard, "why did you choose the school you went to", "how do you stay organized", "what are your career goals", etc, etc.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, just be prepared to explain how your previous experience can contribute to the position.   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Advisory Board in December 2013.

Overall, pretty straight forward. Be ready to speak about your experience, and answer some behavioral questions. You might get some questions about your current role, college experience, how you handle deadlines, stress, attention to detail, reason for wanting to work there, reasons for wanting to leave, excel skills, etc. Nothing to worry about overall, just be prepared and maybe take an excel review course or something before the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Expect an excel assessment under somewhat stressful timed conditions.   Answer Question

Healthcare Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Recruiter contacted me for an initial phone interview within a few days of submitting resume. Pretty basic stuff. Another recruiter followed up asking to schedule an interview in person. Then I didn't hear from her for weeks despite my repeated e-mails. Finally set up a date, then they cancelled the day before. Set up another date, first interview was via Skype and barely worked. Second interview was in person and he barely asked me any questions at all. That was a month and a half ago; no contact since.

At the very least if you go for an in person interview it seems like they should have the decency to write a brief e-mail saying "thanks for coming in, we're not interested." Not at ABC. So that should give you an indication of how this company functions and how they view people.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what you know about our business model. What??   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online - interviewed at Advisory Board in July 2014.

set up an interview quickly after I applied, interviewer seemed disinterested and vague about what job actually entailed. Questions were pretty standard, a couple that were more difficult to answer. Seemed like they were just trying to get people to fill the position for a year or two, wasn't really what I was interested in.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you didn't produce work up to a certain standard and what you did to remedy that problem   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Applied online. Got an email from the recruiter after 3-4 weeks of applying. Had a normal screening round with the Recruiter. She seemed to typing everything down, but went well. All they want to hear is that you know SQL.
    I got the response within 4-5 days for the next round. That round was with an Associate Director. He asked me general background questions. SQL questions based on my resume projects. He was very happy with the SQL query and explanations. Got the third round confirmation the same evening.
    Last round had 1 3:1 and 3 1:1 interviews. All are based on background, mainly SQL. They make you draw stuff on white board and explain constraints or data modelling. There is a behavioral round in between. They focus on 3 main aspects - Technology, Project Management and Client/Customer Management. So be prepared to relate your work in those lines.

Interview Questions
    • IF there are 2 clients which have an issue, there is absolutely no way you can solve the issues, what will you do??   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

I applied online through their website and got an email asking for an interview. I interviewed with them a couple of days later. The interviewer was pretty nice. It was a pretty standard question and answer interview which didn't really leave much for your personality to come through. Took the entire 30 min.

Interview Questions
    • What about your school administration would you change?   Answer Question

Sales & Marketing Associate Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Interview Details – I applied online and heard back within a week to schedule a phone interview, which was several days later. 8 days after my phone interview I was invited to Washington DC office for in-person interviews for the next week. All of the interviewers were very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through your resume.

If you could change one thing about your university's administration what would it be?
        Answer Question
    No negotiation, and salary is low ($37K) especially considering the cost of living in DC. Ask for relocation allowance instead.

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!