Advisory Board

453 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Analyst, Talent Development Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Advisory Board in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied on the company's website to the analyst position in the Research and Insights Department.

I was contacted within a week to set up a time for a phone interview, which happened pretty soon afterwords. First interview was behavioral and reviewing my resume/experiences. Pretty easy. During the interview, the woman told me I sounded like a better fit for the Talent Development department. I was later asked which department I would rather move forward with, and chose Talent Development.

Was contacted within a week to set up second round interviews. I responded with my availability, then reached out again a week later after no response. After a few more days, my interview was set up for about a week later in the DC office.

Before going to the office, I completed a case interview which was emailed to me. Pretty straightforward, standard case. Given 90 minutes to email back response.

In-person interviews were two 1-hour interviews. Both were a combination of reviewing experience and one "case" type question.

Despite the process being pretty lengthy and overly dragged out, I was fairly satisfied with my experience through the final interviews. I was, however, disappointed when I received a generic email from a third-party to inform me I had not received the job. I felt I had developed connections with a few individuals at the organization, and a generic email seemed inconsiderate. Additionally, I emailed my interviewees requesting feedback and advice, and was totally ignored. Feel I really may have dodged a bullet with this company.

Interview Question – An employee has a "Million Dollar Idea" to create a sunscreen pill. He wants to sell this product. What information would you need/advice would you have.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Advisory Board

Interview Details – applied through college career services. first round was a straight forward behavioral interview. the two women interviewing were very nice and seemed interested in getting to know you. the interview took around 30 minutes. although they were slow in getting back to me about going to a second round or not.

Interview Question – what would you change about your college experience/ advice you would give to your university?   Answer Question

Marketing Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Advisory Board in February 2014.

Interview Details – Starts with a phone interview. Then you have to wait about 2 weeks to hear if you are invented to interview in person. I applied online. The phone interview was relatively basic. It lasts about 20 minutes. Basically you go through your resume and explain your experience. They were interested in why you applied to Advisory Board in the first place.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you weren't as organized as possible and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Advisory Board in March 2014.

Interview Details – After submitting your resume, you will hear back within 1-2 weeks from someone at ABC. You will get an email that says they would like to schedule a first-round phone interview and you can give them a few available times you can talk; otherwise, I'm assuming they would send you an email saying that they are not going forward in the interview process with you at this point.

This company likes referrals, especially because the person who refers you will get $1,000 if you land the job, so if you know someone who works at ABC, they will probably be happy to submit your resume for you. Also, you can ask them questions about the company and the role you are interested in.

I submitted my resume (was told that they don't really look at cover letters, so you can skip crafting a perfect cover letter for this application!) for an Analyst position but they scheduled an interview for the Marketing Associate position instead. If you don't have a lot of professional experience, they will mainly consider you for the Marketing Associate, Member Support, or Research Associate positions.

I did the first-round phone interview and will hear back in the next week (or two) to see if they want to do a second interview with me, which would be in person, I believe. Interview questions are not too hard! I actually over-prepared and had great answers I wanted to share about various things, from why I chose my major and minor, to a specific issue I wanted to tackle, but I didn't share that information.

Interviewer asked me to "walk through my resume," and I think that was a missed opportunity for me- I briefly mentioned each part of my resume, thinking I would get to touch on things in-depth later. This is your chance to mention things that you think are really important and relevant to the job you are applying for, so share your key points and you'll be good to go! Don't stress about the first-round phone interview.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. "Walk me through your resume." Will probably be asked a question about your most recent work experience.   Answer Question

Business Analyst, Associate Director Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in June 2012.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview initially, then a series of 3 in-person interviews. Not terribly difficult. The first was background on ABC and the role. Second was more technical and project management, and the third was a review of the other two combined with case studies.

Interview Question – Most difficult was the case study portion. It was a technical case study on issues that could be presented in data for a web-analytics tool.   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Academies Consultant Interview

Washington, DC

I interviewed at Advisory Board in May 2010.

Interview Details – One of the more arduous processes I've been through. Had to interview with 4-5 different people and was tasked with case study work. College pedigree definitely matters for a first look. Took offer with high expectations, but left after 2 years.

Interview Question – Interviewer will put you on the spot with Harvard Business Review type issues and must instantly rationalize in order to convey how you thought process works. Comes across as a "trick question". It's a test of your logic skills.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Advisory Board in February 2014.

Interview Details – I heard about ABC through a career database, and was able to get an employee referral. About 2 weeks after I submitted my application, I got an email requesting a phone interview. Like what a lot of people have said on here, the questions were pretty straight forward: tell me about your resume (with follow up on specific parts, so make sure you know it well), etc. I was not asked any real behavioral questions during this phone interview.

The interviewer was quite pleasant and didn't seemed scripted at all; in fact, we had a pretty organic conversation. The interview lasted about 30 minutes total. Make sure you know about specific aspects of the company - I think the interviewer was pleasantly surprised when I was able to ask detailed questions about the company at the end.

4 weeks after the phone interview, I've been contacted in order to schedule an in-person interview in DC.

Interview Question – What other jobs have you been looking at?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I will be doing a second round interview in Washington DC.

Coordinator Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in June 2013.

Interview Details – First had a phone interview which took about 25 minutes. Was asked why the advisory board company? What is healthcare? Explain what you think the advisory board culture is like., Explain a process you have improved at work or school? How do you manage stress? What is your strength? What is your weakness?...Pretty simple stuff.

Then had two in-person interviews. The first one was with an executive assistant and a senior coordinator. Were both very friendly and made me feel welcomed. Asked me a lot of the same questions in my phone interview, along with questions about my organizational skills, how I would speak to upper management, what I would do if I was having trouble with another employee.

My last interview was with an executive who was also very charming and made me feel welcomed. Asked me basically the same questions the other two did and opened up the floor for me to ask questions where I asked her about how I can grow within the company and her experience with the company.

Interview Question – What process have I improved in a past work or school experience?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Research Analyst Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied to Advisory Board online and received a request for an interview a few days later from a recruiter. The phone interview, scheduled approx. 2 weeks later, was very easy. No behavioral questions, nothing beyond my resume and why I was interested in the company. The woman interviewing me was very kind and professional. I was rejected 3 weeks later.

Interview Question – I found it unexpected that no "true" interview questions were asked (only a resume review)   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – Was contacted by HR a couple days after submitting a resume online to schedule a phone interview. HR was very friendly, and conducted the usual interview screening: Tell me about your experiences and how it ties to the position; why you are interested in ADB and the position, etc. Was very prepared and the interview seemed to go over smoothly, however I was emailed later on in the week with a rejection. There were probably more qualified people.

Interview Question – What would you change about your university or post-graduate university?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Advisory Board

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Advisory Board interview questions and advice. All 453 interview reviews posted anonymously by Advisory Board employees and interview candidates.