Advisory Board Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

2.8

Dedicated Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mangalore (India)

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Advisory Board (Mangalore (India)) in December 2011.

Interview

i had written exam in this field .that time very difficult for me .nw i can mannage myself

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Advisory Board (Austin, TX) in August 2011.

Interview

Hiring process took a long time ( several months). Had to go through a phone screen, then an interview with four different managers (one hour each). I was not impressed with the screening and interview process, but I was impressed with one of the interviewers.

Academies Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in May 2010.

Interview

One of the more arduous processes I've been through. Had to interview with 4-5 different people and was tasked with case study work. College pedigree definitely matters for a first look. Took offer with high expectations, but left after 2 years.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer will put you on the spot with Harvard Business Review type issues and must instantly rationalize in order to convey how you thought process works. Comes across as a "trick question". It's a test of your logic skills.   Answer Question

Dedicated Advisor Interview

Interview

Phone interview was around 30 minutes long, mostly behavioral interview questions. I was contacted by email for an onsite interview about a week later. The onsite interview was overall a good experience, I spoke with 3 managers, and they were all very courteous. I had to do a case interview for one of the interviews. They gave me an excel data set to analyze and create a powerpoint presentation.

Interview Questions

• Some of the behavioral interview questions during the phone interview were tough. You have to think on your feet.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board (Austin, TX).

Interview

This was one of the most extensive interview processes I've gone through. I had two phone interviews, one with a representative from HR, and the other from a Director. The second phone interview contained a lot of technical questions and SQL examples. From there, I was extended an invitation for a three-hour on-site interview. The first hour is a panel interview, where three potential colleagues ask you questions about your resume, and then you demonstrate your SQL skills based on examples they present. The following two hours are one-on-one interviews with higher ups, and those are just basic questions and very straight forward interviews.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to show correct SQL syntax for Group By examples. Know the difference between inner, outer, left and right outer joins and how they will affect your results.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation was very easy.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board (Austin, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

Applied online and went through phone screen. The in-person interview occurred 2 weeks afterwards. When the interview was scheduled they sent me a "coding" problem to complete for the interview with topics of discussion related to the coding problem. The instructions were to be prepared to discuss the solution to the coding problem.

The interview was 4 hours long and was with 3 people, a senior engineer, the dev manager and a lead engineer.

No one addressed the coding test, it was a non topic, my preparation and presentation was not reviewed with me.

Each interviewer, and for the whole time, had me solving coding problems on a white board. The coding problems were C# and TSQL

Note: be ready to provide code for solving fibonacci, and other classic code problems.

Observations: The expectations of an engineer there was explained to me to be coding first, then more coding and then after that more coding. Agile iteration were two weeks with deliverables monthly. This is definitely a young persons game, the idea of making good solid code not being emphasized by the short iterations.

Glad to not get an offer . . . I would have refused the offer (the money is not as important as the culture). The people were not friendly.

Interview Questions

• Write SQL on the white board (they were putting it into SSMS to test it) and then making the query more and more difficult.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board (Chennai (India)) in February 2014.

Interview

Had total of 5 rounds - 4 technical and 1 HR
    Covered questions from almost all topics including Data Structures, Algorithms, Big O Analysis, Java, Design Patterns, SQL queries and so on (write code). The panel does test your logical and analytic skills.

Interview Questions

• Given a sorted array of numbers. Construct a balanced binary tree with the numbers in the Array as keys.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They pay really well and offered more than what I asked for.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview

I was got the phone interview through an internal referral system. The tone of the interview was stigmatizing, and there was no conversation or feedback element whatsoever. I was never able to relax and be myself to answer the questions without awkwardly overanalyzing everything before I spoke, which is what I believe led to my demise.

Interview Questions

• They ask about your college GPA and whether or not it was a reflection of your work ethic.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board (Chennai (India)) in July 2014.

Interview

Interview process took approx 15 days. There were 4 rounds of technical interview, all through phone and one HR round on skype. Three technical interview were from Chennai focusing mainly on .net, design pattern and database designs. Fourth round was from some director from austin. He asked questions related to data structures and performance. Some general questions related to profile were also being asked.

Interview Questions

• check a number is Fibbonacci series or not using iterative and recursive methods.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations. Was given more than what I asked for

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board (Austin, TX).

Interview

Applied online. Got an email from the recruiter after 3-4 weeks of applying. Had a normal screening round with the Recruiter. She seemed to typing everything down, but went well. All they want to hear is that you know SQL.
    I got the response within 4-5 days for the next round. That round was with an Associate Director. He asked me general background questions. SQL questions based on my resume projects. He was very happy with the SQL query and explanations. Got the third round confirmation the same evening.
    Last round had 1 3:1 and 3 1:1 interviews. All are based on background, mainly SQL. They make you draw stuff on white board and explain constraints or data modelling. There is a behavioral round in between. They focus on 3 main aspects - Technology, Project Management and Client/Customer Management. So be prepared to relate your work in those lines.

Interview Questions

• IF there are 2 clients which have an issue, there is absolutely no way you can solve the issues, what will you do??   Answer Question