Advisory Board

525 candidate interviews

Dedicated Advisor Interview

Dedicated Advisor
Mangalore (India)

I applied through other source - interviewed at Advisory Board in December 2011.

Interview Details – i had written exam in this field .that time very difficult for me .nw i can mannage myself

Interview Question – yes   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Austin, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Advisory Board in August 2011.

Interview Details – Hiring process took a long time ( several months). Had to go through a phone screen, then an interview with four different managers (one hour each). I was not impressed with the screening and interview process, but I was impressed with one of the interviewers.

Interview Question – Why should we be excited about hiring you?   Answer Question

Academies Consultant Interview

Academies Consultant
Washington, DC

I interviewed at Advisory Board in May 2010.

Interview Details – One of the more arduous processes I've been through. Had to interview with 4-5 different people and was tasked with case study work. College pedigree definitely matters for a first look. Took offer with high expectations, but left after 2 years.

Interview Question – Interviewer will put you on the spot with Harvard Business Review type issues and must instantly rationalize in order to convey how you thought process works. Comes across as a "trick question". It's a test of your logic skills.   Answer Question

Dedicated Advisor Interview

Dedicated Advisor

Interviewed at Advisory Board

Interview Details – Phone interview was around 30 minutes long, mostly behavioral interview questions. I was contacted by email for an onsite interview about a week later. The onsite interview was overall a good experience, I spoke with 3 managers, and they were all very courteous. I had to do a case interview for one of the interviews. They gave me an excel data set to analyze and create a powerpoint presentation.

Interview Question – Some of the behavioral interview questions during the phone interview were tough. You have to think on your feet.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Senior Business Analyst
Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – This was one of the most extensive interview processes I've gone through. I had two phone interviews, one with a representative from HR, and the other from a Director. The second phone interview contained a lot of technical questions and SQL examples. From there, I was extended an invitation for a three-hour on-site interview. The first hour is a panel interview, where three potential colleagues ask you questions about your resume, and then you demonstrate your SQL skills based on examples they present. The following two hours are one-on-one interviews with higher ups, and those are just basic questions and very straight forward interviews.

Interview Question – Be prepared to show correct SQL syntax for Group By examples. Know the difference between inner, outer, left and right outer joins and how they will affect your results.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was very easy.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and went through phone screen. The in-person interview occurred 2 weeks afterwards. When the interview was scheduled they sent me a "coding" problem to complete for the interview with topics of discussion related to the coding problem. The instructions were to be prepared to discuss the solution to the coding problem.

The interview was 4 hours long and was with 3 people, a senior engineer, the dev manager and a lead engineer.

No one addressed the coding test, it was a non topic, my preparation and presentation was not reviewed with me.

Each interviewer, and for the whole time, had me solving coding problems on a white board. The coding problems were C# and TSQL

Note: be ready to provide code for solving fibonacci, and other classic code problems.

Observations: The expectations of an engineer there was explained to me to be coding first, then more coding and then after that more coding. Agile iteration were two weeks with deliverables monthly. This is definitely a young persons game, the idea of making good solid code not being emphasized by the short iterations.

Glad to not get an offer . . . I would have refused the offer (the money is not as important as the culture). The people were not friendly.

Interview Question – Write SQL on the white board (they were putting it into SSMS to test it) and then making the query more and more difficult.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Chennai (India)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in February 2014.

Interview Details – Had total of 5 rounds - 4 technical and 1 HR
Covered questions from almost all topics including Data Structures, Algorithms, Big O Analysis, Java, Design Patterns, SQL queries and so on (write code). The panel does test your logical and analytic skills.

Interview Question – Given a sorted array of numbers. Construct a balanced binary tree with the numbers in the Array as keys.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They pay really well and offered more than what I asked for.

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

Sales and Marketing Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – I was got the phone interview through an internal referral system. The tone of the interview was stigmatizing, and there was no conversation or feedback element whatsoever. I was never able to relax and be myself to answer the questions without awkwardly overanalyzing everything before I spoke, which is what I believe led to my demise.

Interview Question – They ask about your college GPA and whether or not it was a reflection of your work ethic.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – Expect 3-4 back to back interviews. 2-3 senior staff interviews and 1 of peers. There will most definitely be some technical (SQL usually) and problem solving questions. Even if you don't have SQL experience it will be in your best interest to learn it (free online). Generally looking for good communication (speaks clearly, can explain technical concepts, isn't too long winded).

Interview Question – Advanced SQL (how to use outer joins creatively) and some difficult brain teasers   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Coimbatore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Advisory Board in November 2013.

Interview Details – It was a 2-day campus hiring process. They had shortlisted three hundred odd candidates for the written test from their resumes.

Written Test : It was a 2 hour test on general aptitude, C programming, little on OOP concepts and 2 programming questions to check your ability on programming and algorithms. The unusual part was that the test consists of objective type questions without options, i.e write the output/ answers to the question. The two programming questions were on array based, string based.

Group Discussion: They had filtered us to 17th of the written test strength. It happened on the same evening. Not many get eliminated in the GD unless they have very poor communication skills. They will approve you if you have the content right even though if your language is not very commanding.

Technical Discussion: Most of the discussion goes on the solutions to the written test and they will want to know how you arrived at the answer. They do not want people who ended up cracking the test by mere fluke or blind concepts. Understand the concepts, know the fundamentals and explain the solution in a simple manner. Specially, the programming questions. They would want to know if you have the right foundation in algorithms. Concepts on Big o and optimization of the solution what you have written. Make sure you learn the best solution before the interview even if you dint write the best solution. They might want to know if you have really mulled on the problem which was thrown at you.

Apart from the test questions, they might cover a few projects in your resume. Explain with clarity and conceptually. Make sure you act as a team player and not dominating team member. Take ownership of your piece of work but give due credits to the team members too. They respect that too.

Few questions on your expectations on the internship and if you have any offer from other companies. They would appreciate if you have experience working as an intern in any other company prior. They expect the candidate to be an all rounder and also passionate about technology.

They take a note of everything you say and claim. They actually create a short profile observation from your performance. Not everyone get passes through this round. Only 18 cleared this round.

HR Round: They don't want mere programmers. They need ambitious, genuine, enthusiastic people. This round is just to see if you have the maturity to get settled in their environment. Its usually the management team which takes these rounds, and all of them are highly qualified experienced people. You will answer crisp and to the point for their questions. Few technology questions might me put up to see your passion on it. Mostly its about your personality and interests. They would want to see what really interests you. Take accountability for whatever you state.

They hired 12 of us finally. They usually don't hire freshers. But we were the second batch to get experimented as interns. Good luck!

Interview Question – If you want to be a specialist on a specific area or an all rounder?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Excellent learning curve and great work culture. Ambiance is great with some time for work and equal amount of time to play. Internship projects are really trendy where they put you through a lot of deadlines and delivery, which leads you to learn more eventually to be on our toes all the time. Stipend is good/decent. I would recommend this internship for every fresher.

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!