Advisory Board

Updated Dec 15, 2014
Updated Dec 15, 2014

2.8

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

The Advisory Board Company moved very fast once my application was submitted. I had my first phone screen within a week of submitting my application. The second, more technical phone screen was just a week after that. You interview with the team you're going to be working with so you get a good feel right away if you will fit in.

Interview Questions
    • Actually giving an example of a SQL query. My background isn't in programming so I'm more of a trial and error SQL type and I wasn't prepared for this question on the fly.   Answer Question

Business Analyst, Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Advisory Board in July 2012.

I was conrtacted via email by HR about setting up a phone interview. At the time of the phone interview the recruiter was late in calling and then ended up not having enough time so we had to reschedule. At the rescheduled date, he never called. Very unprofessional.

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

1 HR Phone interview
    1 Phone interview with Hiring Manager
    2 back to back phone rounds with senior management/industry experts
    2 back to back in-person interviews at DC Office with senior management/industry leaders
    1 Case Interview/Research Note Presentation and Defense

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

Applied online through the website, received an email about a week later to set up a phone interview, which didn't happen until almost two weeks later. Interviewer (a recruiter) was friendly, knew a surprising amount about the specific position and its role within the company. Standard questions about why I chose my undergraduate university, what I've learned in jobs since then, how my writing evolved over time. Pretty standard stuff, thought it went well but got an email about a week later saying they wouldn't be moving forward. It was nice to know, and they said they'll keep my resume on file for 6 months and contact me if anything else comes up.

Interview Questions
    • Walk through your contributions to a research study and how they impacted the study's findings.   Answer Question

Account Management Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

Submitted resume online and heard back quickly for a first round phone interview. It was the general screening call with an HR representative. Mostly making sure you understood what the company is/what the position entails. Heard back for a second round interview a week later which consisted of 5 1:1 interview and 1 2:1 interview. The two on one was the first with HR representatvies while the rest were with people who would be co-workers and higher ups. Again standard questions. Nothing that hasn't been stated before. Everyone was really friendly and was generally just looking to see if you could handle the work load and would be a good fit. Was then contacted for a final round phone interview which I had a week later and am now waiting to here back.

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest failure?

What's something NOT on your resume that you're proud of?

Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

Phone interview was pretty standard. Detailed questions about resume and research methodology. Everything was fine until in person interviews because the managers couldn't have been more than 25 and made me feel like they didn't want to be there.

Interview Questions
    • They seemed to be looking for a specific answer on the case study questions. Not a lot of latitude to answer which is contrary to all the information they send out about preparing for case studies.   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Got a phone interview pretty quickly followed by three rounds of in-person interviews. Interviews were done with case studies. The interviewers seemed to be looking for specific answers and were a bit rude when asked questions about the company.

Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

Submitted an online application at the end of August and received an email for an interview about 3 days later. Initial phone screening interview was set for the next week. It lasted 30 minutes with typical questions. Within 2 days, I got the next email asking for an in-person interview in DC. I live far enough so that I'd have to fly. Company didn't offer to pay for travel, so I paid it myself for a trip the week after. I had 2 one-on-one interviews, each lasting about 30 minutes. I thought I answered all the questions well and felt confident.

The next morning I received another email asking for a conference call with the Director and Associate Director of the department. This was scheduled for the next week. The call ended only between me and the Associate Director. Director never joined the conference call. Associate Director said we would be in contact. At this point I still felt confident but was wondering if 3 rounds of interviews was necessary for an entry level position.

1.5 weeks later, I get a phone call asking for a fourth round of phone interview with the 2 Directors. Again, I answered all questions confidently. The 2 Directors assured me I would have a final decision within the week. 2 weeks past and nothing, so I email. The recruiting manager tells me that the department is "reevaluating their needs for a new Coordinator', basically telling me that they are closing the position. They offer me to interview for another position in person in DC. I ask for travel reimbursement and they refuse. I try to negotiate and perhaps interview through Skype or phone first. They refuse.

I give up. I've spent 6 weeks of time and paid my own trip to DC just so they can change their mind about the position. Super unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • If there was one thing you could change about the university you attended, what would it be?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

Sent in resume. Had on-campus interview, asked for second round interview at HQ. Checked in at HQ and had my name scratched off of a list of over 40 people. Waited in the waiting room for 15 minutes over my start time and watched (not lying) 15 interviewees walk out. They must have a huge turnover. Not worth it for the 35k/yr living in D.C.

Senior Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Advisory Board.

Phone Interview + Second Round in DC Office