Advisory Board

Updated Dec 16, 2014
Updated Dec 16, 2014

2.8

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Advisory Board.

Phone interview - very immature phone skills, interviewer seemed very young and did not add much value to the interview. I did the majority of the talking, the person interviewing seemed to be reading from a script.

Interview Questions
    • What was a time that you were assigned a project and had to meet certain deadlines? What was this project and how did you assure that deadlines were met?   Answer Question

Research and Insights Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at Advisory Board.

I submitted my application online and was contacted within a week. Following a phone interview that lasted approximately 30 minutes, I was asked to fly to their offices in Washington, D.C. It was easy to coordinate that process and the recruiters at ABC were helpful throughout.

In D.C., I had two interviews, both with personal and case based questions. Because one interviewer was sick that day, two days later, I had a final phone interview of a similar vein, in which there was a case interview question and a few questions about my interest in ABC and general interest in consulting.

Interview Questions
    • The case questions were not extremely hard, they mostly tested your logical processes and sought to see if you asked the important questions. I don't think there were any questions that were particularly hard, but they did cover a range of personal and work experience as well as interest in consulting and healthcare. They are really interested in your writing abilities and the process by which you ask research questions and produce results from that research.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Email notification requesting interview. Initial phone screening then if you pass you will be invited to interview on location including a case interview. The company usually takes about two weeks between steps to respond back and inform you of your status. Process is fairly straight forward and simple.

Interview Questions
    • Recruiter will ask questions about your work history so be prepared to answer.   Answer Question

Health Care Consultant Interview

Phone interview followed up with an in-person. The phone interview is by a recruiter and it's about 20 min long. They ask you to walk through your resume. Ask how you heard about the company. They actually more than necessary amount of time talking about themselves and their role in the company.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't very many difficult questions. How did you hear about the company? What is business writing?   Answer Question

Health Care Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Advisory Board.

I applied online and the response was uber quick (less than a week). We set up a behavioral interview with basic questions of why health care consulting, walking the recruiter through my CV, no real difficult questions. Positive feedback, still waiting to hear back if I get into round 2

Interview Questions
    • I'm predicting round 3 with cases studies will be difficult.   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in October 2014.

I got a call from the company for a network engineering position and they scheduled a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty much about my experience and my skill set. after One week I got and e-mail that I'm not qualified for the onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • The phone interview was not difficult. Only about my experience and my skill-set.   Answer Question

Dedicated Advisor Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in October 2014.

I applied for the Dedicated Advisor Role. I was contacted the following day for an phone-interview with a recruiter. The recruiter asked mainly behavioral questions (How do you handle multiple priorities? / How do you give negative criticism to a hospital CEO?) Also, be prepared to discuss your experience manipulating data and giving presentations. It was relatively easy.

The next day, I was contacted for a in-person second round interview. To prepare for this interview, I was tasked to analyze a excel data sheet and create a powerpoint presentation of the final results. On top of my current 40 hr work week, I had to manipulate the data.. create the slides... and practice the presentation. It took a long time - make sure you start early!

On the day of the interview, I met with three Directors for 30 minute time slots. My three interviewers were hurried and inattentive... they seemed to be rushing to get back to other work. One interviewer complained about the demands of motherhood and a full-time job... Also, I did not formally present my slides. We sat down with the printed slides and talked through them. The interviewer also rushed me through the slides. Presenting is a big part of the role and I was upset that I wasn't able to showcase my presentation skills. I didn't connect well with the interviewers. Despite the perks (travel, seamless food, swanky office, free soda, prestige of the company), I felt disillusioned with the company and really turned off by my interviewers. Its important that candidates are sold on the job and the company. After three weeks of no response, I emailed the recruiter and a few hours later, I received a rejection email.

There were some highlights to the interview process. The recruiter was great - s/he was responsive (emailed me within 24 hours), had lots of positive energy, and gave me guidance every step of the way. Also, ABC paid for transportation (round trip flight), ground transportation, a luxury hotel and all food expenses. I just think that interviewers need to be better selected.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewers asked many behavioral question and a case question - The average length of stay in your hospital is longer in comparison to other hospitals... how do you solve this problem? It wasn't a typical business style case question... the interviewers are just looking for your thought processes and brainstorming patterns.   Answer Question

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in November 2014.

Applied online. Received an initial screen from the HR department, and then an hour-long phone screen by the manager of the team. This was followed by a four-hour onsite interview and finally another 75 minute phone interview with the architect.

Overall, the interviews were straightforward and fair. I was questioned on a mix of technical, behavioral, and design.

Received an offer for a more senior position than I had initially applied for, but the salary was far below what I had stated as my requirement. I'm left mostly confused, because it seems like a tremendous waste of my time an their employees' time. Yet the HR person seemed to feel I should be flattered just to get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question: What's the difference between a bit and a byte? (Really?)   Answer Question

Offer did not meet salary requirements, even though salary requirements had been discussed several times.

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Advisory Board in November 2014.

I first gave my resume to a recruiter at my (large) University. Didn't hear anything. Then someone I knew offered to refer me, and I sent them my resume.

I then heard back from someone at the company asking to set up a phone interview. It was about 30 minutes long and included questions like "If you could recommend anything to the administration of your university what would it be?" and "What was a time when you had to deal with an unhappy customer or conflict in the workplace?" The person was very clearly reading off a script, but was receptive and asked follow-up questions.

About a week later I received an email inviting me to the next "Preview Day" in DC. I'm still waiting on more details of that. I probably won't take the job if I'm offered it because the salary is pretty low.

Read through all the questions people have posted here--I wasn't asked a single question that I didn't read on this forum beforehand.

Interview Questions
    • "Describe a time when you had to set specific goals to accomplish a task." Not a hard question, but she really didn't seem to understand my answer for some reason and I had to rephrase myself a few times.   Answer Question

Salary too low

Associate Director Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

I had received an interview through an employee referral. I heard back within 2 weeks. I had a general online interview through a website with one of the recruiters. We discussed my background and my interests. I thought it went well. I then received an email from another recruiter that I was not receiving an offer. I thought this was strange because I only had a general interview, not for a specific position. I then emailed the recruiter for some feedback on our interview. I received a message that she no longer worked for the company anymore. When I reached out to the person who sent me the email that no offer was being made, they were very dismissive and refused to give me any feedback. They told me it was extremely competitive. Very condescending.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have an issue with traveling 75% of the time?   View Answer