Advisory Board

504 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Analyst, Strategic Research Interview

Analyst, Strategic Research

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied via a LinkedIn referral and found out I had a phone interveiw two weeks later with a member of the HR team. I felt the interview went fine. There were no unexpected questions, just asking me about why I wanted to work for the Advisory Board, walk through my resume, my experience with conducting research etc.
I was told I would hear back within a week and did not. I followed up with HR and asked some further questions and was informed that there was some delay on their end and my questions were unanswered. I followed up again a week later and got no repy. A few days after that I received an email from an intern I had had no previous communication with informing me that they would not be proceeding with my application and thanking me for my patience.

Interview Question – Describe a piece of research you were involved in and what the most surprising finding was.   Answer Question

Account Management Associate Interview

Account Management Associate
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – initial phone interview only. 20-30 minutes with HR person. Was asked to go over resume and talk about my interests and career goals. She said the next step was for her to meet with the other HR people, discuss each candidate's interview and consider them for any open position that they qualify for.

Interview Question – typical interview questions- what are your career goals, strengths & weaknesses, etc.   Answer Question

Consultant, Healthcare Interview

Consultant, Healthcare

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – I applied using the online system. It was quick and easy to use. After a few weeks, I was contacted by a coordinator to do a phone interview via email with a recruiter. Process went smoothly and interview lasted 30 minutes.

Interview Question – Why do you want to be a healthcare consultant?   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

Sales and Marketing Associate

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – I had a friend put in a referral for me and then received an email from one of the HR contacts. We had a good phone conversation and she asked about my background and how it could relate as well as told me in more detail about the company and the position. Said I would hear back about another interview within the next few weeks and got an email saying I did not make the cut. Was told prior to the interview that it is tough to make it through these interviews to get a job but good experience.

Interview Question – No crazy questions just know your resume and ask about the position and company   Answer Question

Marketing Associate Interview

Marketing Associate
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – Applied online and received an email a couple of weeks later to schedule an initial screening phone interview (walk me through your resume/ tell me about yourself etc). Scheduled for a second phone interview then flown in for super day in DC.

Interview Question – Basic tell me about yourself, why Advisory Board, why this position?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – I'm not too sure what to say. I was contacted two days after I submitted my online application for an interview. They were very fast in scheduling interview, and I spent a long time prepping for it. However, when the interview day came, I did not receive any call. I inquired about this to the coordinator, and I called the desk of a person that was supposed to interview me, and left a message. After that, well, I heard nothing. I was a bit disappointed because I used to have a good perception about this company. The least they could do was to tell me the job position is closed, or give me a short explanation as to why they just stopped contacting me after setting up interview.

Associate Interview

Associate
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at Advisory Board in January 2013.

Interview Details – Interviewer asked me the routine questions about my past experiences and how they relate to the company. I felt that they were looking for someone more research oriented than anything else. I thought it went well and was even expecting a second interview. I didn't receive a response to my follow-up email or any communication until the automated generic rejection email was sent to me over 3 months after my interview. Incredibly unprofessional.

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

Sales and Marketing Associate
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – -Referred by friend for position
-Contacted by recruiter 3 weeks later
-Interviewed with recruiter 1 week later
-Heard back 2 weeks later that I was accepted for onsite interview
-Was flown down to DC 3 weeks later and was given a tour, had 2 interviews with 2 managers each, and was taken to lunch
-2 days later was asked to do another interview (was promised this would be last) over the phone
-10 days later was called and received offer

Everybody was very friendly and the recruiter was very accommodating.

Interview Question – All questions were pretty basic. Show that you have some knowledge of the company, that you are goal-oriented and driven, and that you can deal with constant rejection.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Does not seem like there is much room for negotiation.

Marketing Interview

Marketing
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in June 2010.

Interview Details – First round phone interview with HR then in person interviews with three in house managers. They are all 1-2 years out of school. Questions are about why you are interested, your background, and how we'll you understand what the job is.

Interview Question – Describe your writing style and the process you went through to learn how to translate academic writing to business writing.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No salary negotiation

Very Easy Interview

Director Interview

Director
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Advisory Board in May 2014.

Interview Details – I would describe the recruiting process as disappointing. The ABC has a culture better suited to recent graduates who do not have any baseline for what constitutes a respectful interview experience. As a seasoned, mid-career professional, red flags were flying from the start.

First, my recruiting contact was disorganized. E-mail communications had mismatched dates / days, and I had to double-check her work for accuracy – repeatedly.

Furthermore, I found the in-person office visit poorly organized and disrespectful of my time. Scheduled one hour interviews were truncated to 30 minutes (they ran out of questions), and there were gaps in the schedule longer than 3 hours. I literally had to sit on a couch and wait for hours between interviews. No one from HR explained the situation. Not even one senior person stepped forward to appologize. The receptionist was my primary point of contact that day. I had a fun morning / afternoon sitting next to 22 year-old kids interviewing for their first job out of college (one who just graduated from my alma mater!).

Finally, I found the interviews themselves lackluster. The questions were random, poorly thought, and lacked a cohesive thread. The case study was simple for anyone who reads a newspaper and has a basic knowledge of health care.

Frankly, ABC staffers gave the impression they are too self-absorbed in their own day-to-day minutia to provide a meaningful interview experience. I am certain an ABC executive reading this would state I did not have the right ‘independent’ or ‘flexible spirit.’ Whatever – they did not put their best foot forward. If a place can't show their best side during an interview, what will happen when you need management support for a critical business issue? I provided this feedback after the interview day knowing it would kill the job opportunity, as I could not fathom working for this company.

Interview Question – Senior Director: "Are you afraid of coming on board to that position knowing all the trouble they are having in that unit?"   View Answer