Advisory Board Interview Questions

2.8

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Advisory Board in August 2014.

For the first interview, I was asked standard questions (script-like, if you will) in an effort to allow me to market my skill set and work experience as best I could. It lasted just under 20 mins and the interviewer took notes the whole time, but didn't really deviate from the likely prepared set of questions. No off-the-wall queries.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave your current industry to join health care?   Answer Question
    • How would you deliver bad news to someone?   Answer Question
    • How do you keep track of everything that's on your plate to ensure you remember to do them?   Answer Question

Software Architect/Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

The process was fine and was a good experience. I was contacted by a recruiting firm which finds candidates for them.
    I met personally with a couple of their managers in the recruiters office. This is the first round of interview. It went well. They asked about how I deal with scenarios in my current job and discussed what my role is in my job. Very few technical questions.
    Second round was at their office. 8 people in total did the interview in 5 phases.

Phase 1 - Met the same manager that I met in my earlier interview. He just explained how the interview process is going to go.

Phase 2 - 2 of their senior developers. Mostly technical. They gave me a spec that's 2 pages long and asked me to design the system. This was after about 30 mins of talking about various technical details of what I do at my current job and what frameworks we use etc. I was initially surprised to look at the 2 page document and I guess I might have been carried away by some details in the document rather than focusing on the big picture and their intent. We went through how some potential design ideas before running out of time.

Phase 3 - One senior architect and one project manager. Project manager was mostly silent for the whole process. The architect just came and gave me a problem and asked me to come up with an algorithm to solve the problem. I did not do well here. I wasn't expecting this type of question. So, I took too long to answer this. I eventually answered bu I felt like it took too long.

Phase 4 - Direct manager. She just kept asking some standard questions like what inspired you? What are your limitations? etc and kept noting down my answers without any feedback. Kind of hard to judge what she was thinking.

Phase 5 - 2 program managers from Chicago office did a Skype interview. I was exhausted by now. But, I think I did pretty well there too.

Overall I think I was kind of unprepared for this interview. I relied too much on my current skills at my job and did not brush up much related to basic Computer science concepts.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in July 2014.

This was a phone interview. They were focused on my SQL skills and if I would be a good fit for the social good aspects of the company. The phone interview was pleasant enough. There were high level technical questions but nothing too deep, leaving that for the second round interview. The other items on my resume didn't seem to be of key interest. I got the feeling that they were looking for data mappers more than anything else.

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in June 2013.

Initial first round telephone interview. Two addition in-person one on two interviews in the Washington DC office. Career Management is easy to work with to schedule interviews. Interviewers ask easy questions. Be prepared to walk through your resume and answer questions as related to the Company's core values (found on their website).

Interview Questions
    • Describe your writing style. Describe a time you dropped the ball.   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable salary. Asked for moving allowance instead.

Strategy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in May 2014.

Initial phone screen with a recruiter with typical screening questions.

Invited to a in person interview, made the trip from 500 miles away (no travel reimbursement provided), scheduled with 2 people but only interviewed with one. I was asked behavioral questions followed up by a mini case question at the end (interviewer stated I had done well on the case question at the end). This gave me confidence that I may potentially get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What motivates you to get up everyday and put forth your best effort?   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in February 2013.

Went through a series of steps: Online application, first round phone interview, second round phone interview, in-office interview. Was relatively straightforward, and everyone I interacted with was very friendly and easy-going.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  DC Ranch, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in DC Ranch, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in July 2014.

HR phone screen. Technical phone interview with 2 people. Technical on-site for 4 hours meeting with 8-9 people in 4-5 sessions.

Honestly, I thought the interview process was easy. The on-site was a waste of everyone's time because the questions were too basic. SQL queries? That's all that's required? Come on! Ask something that will allow the candidate to shine and show exactly how one would accomplish one's technical duties.

In the end, I literally heard nothing back. I emailed HR a few times, but I received neither a rejection nor an offer. By default, I was rejected. I had hoped they would be more professional.

Interview Questions
    • Some simple SQL. I don't know. Outer join two simple tables.   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Advisory Board.

I applied online via LinkedIn. They got back to me within a week inquiring about a phone interview. I confirmed and had the phone interview within the next couple of days. The recruiter was professional and very nice. The interview was more question and answer than conversational. It lasted 30 minutes tops. They told me they would let me know if I made it to second round interview within a week and a half. After two weeks, they emailed me asking for an in-person interview which was scheduled promptly.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty straightforward questions:
      What was a time you had to be goal oriented?
      How do you keep organized? etc.
        Answer Question
    Accepted second round interview. have not gotten to negotiation.

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in July 2014.

Process took about 3 weeks, I applied online and received a call to schedule an interview within a few business days. For the phone interview, the interviewer called a day earlier than scheduled and confirmed through email, and then kind of implied the next day that it was my fault and that it needed to be rescheduled. Interview took about 20-30 minutes, the interviewer was very nice and friendly. She asked me how organized I was, how I have handled a disgruntled customer in the past, and asked for a detailed explanation of major projects from previous work experience. Overall, a good practice interview. The questions were not particularly hard, but they did not really let your personality show. She said that they would stay in contact whether or not I would be invited to the 2nd round of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Explain (in detail) what you know about Advisory Board and what it does.   Answer Question

Health Care Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in June 2014.

Applied through the company's online portal and also had an employee referral. After I submitted my application, I was contacted to set up a first round phone interview. The phone interview was pretty standard. The recruiter requested that I navigate through my resume and explain my experiences. I was then asked a few more questions, ex. Why do you want to work for the Advisory Board Company? How would you deal with a client that was not open to suggestions?

At the end of the interview, the recruiter answered questions I had about the role and the company and gave me an email address to follow up with additional questions I may have. I was told that the company would be in touch within 2 weeks to inform me if I had moved on to the next round or not. After the interview, I followed up with a thank you note to the recruiter, highlighted key points we spoke upon in the interview, and reiterated my interest in the company and position. After the 2 weeks had passed, and I sent an additional follow up email, I never heard anything regarding my standing for the position. It would have been courteous to receive an official update from the company stating that I was no longer in the running for the position, rather than being left no response.