Advisory Board

Updated Jan 27, 2015
Updated Jan 27, 2015

2.8

Associate Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

The Engineering department of Advisory Board(Crimson) came to our career fair. Initially they were looking for Computer Science Undergrads or Grads. Though I am from Information Systems background I have a good knowledge of the CS subjects and thus gave them my resume. After few weeks I got a mail from them regarding a scheduled on-campus interview. It was also astonished to me that they have called a lot of people from my department(As people from Information System background hardly get call from Computer Science based companies).
    During the on campus interview the interviewer asked me to write a program. The program was given an array of integers find the two numbers that sum to a particular number. I gave a very efficient nlogn solution for which he praised me. Then he asked be some questions related to physics and a puzzle. At last he asked to sort an array with million numbers which contains only 0's and 1's. For this also I gave a very efficient solution. I wrote the algorithm for 3 way quick sort(Dijkstra's Dutch national flag problem) which is one of the best sorting algorithm to sort array with duplicate numbers. At last the interviewer handed me a designing problem which I have to mail them back within a week. I was really satisfied with my performance and was hoping to get a second round of interview call but to my astonishment I got a rejection mail. I really cannot believe why I got a rejection. Feeling very devastated after getting rejected when my interview was really very good.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was easy. The designing problem was some what abstract but again there is no right or wrong for a designing problem.   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Applied through college job portal. Initial phone interview and multiple round in-person interviews within one day at headquarters. Although they didn't initially specify how many interviews you would receive that day, it appeared that candidates who excelled received more interviewers. All interviewers were professional and cordial, yet strict and not very helpful in walking you through cases.

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

There were 3 steps for the interview process. The initial phone call which was scheduled for 30 minutes, the invite to an in office interview with marketing directors, and the follow up call with the offer. The initial phone call was pretty scripted and quick. There was not a lot of "fluff" per se, but it was not a negative experience at all. I met with 3 different people during my in person interview. Again, the sessions were 30 minutes, but the interviewers were extremely friendly and personable. I received an offer letter shortly after the in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time when you missed a detail and what occurred.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, the salary and benefits are set

Research and Insights Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

I applied through college university and the whole process took about 3-4 weeks. First round was behavioral while second round was an on-site interview that included behavioral and business case-style questions. Interviewers for both asked me to describe a research project.

Marketing Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Advisory Board.

Behavioral interview. Not very job specific questions, i honestly was not sure what the interviewer was looking for in a can date. Felt my interview went very well but was not offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • describe a situation where you left out a detail when dealing with a customer   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

It was held at a the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace for the Research Associate - DC.
    Many other companies were there conducting their own interviews.
    Interview offered through the college career center website.experience.
    Received rejection email after about 2 weeks later.

Analyst Research Insights Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

I had one preliminary phone interview. My HR interviewer asked about why I wanted the job, why I picked my university, what I would change about my university, and asked me to describe my writing style and how it has changed over time. She also asked me to detail a project I'd worked on start to finish. Thought the interview went well, but a week later received a rejection email.

Interview Questions
    • What would you tell the administration to change about your university?   Answer Question

Research and Insights Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

Initial Interview: On-campus recruiting. Behavioral. Very straightforward and every question was from Glassdoor, so read up!
    On-site interviews: They flew me to DC, which was great. There I had the 2 interviews (1 case and 1 behavioral), a snack break, and an "tentative" interview that was later cancelled. My interviewers were Senior Consultants and were relatively cold, so prepare for that if you're a cheerful person. The interview was cancelled for 3 out of 4 people I was with. The 4th guy did have his "tentative" interview. The receptionist lied profusely about the meaning of this cancellation, stating that it was simply due to the department being called into a meeting or leaving early because it was a Friday. Not particularly nice and I felt duped when I later read Glassdoor interviews that detailed this "tentative" interview trick that ABC uses to cut people. I haven't heard back yet, but those disrespectful lies alone are enough to make me not want to join this company.

Interview Questions
    • Research project question. Expect blunt observations from interviewers and little talk besides the questions.   Answer Question

Research and Insights Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in November 2014.

First applied online on their career website and was contacted within two weeks of sending in my documents. Set up a phone interview for the following week. The phone interview was pretty normal - while I did not look at Glassdoor beforehand, I see that many of the other reviews point out the same questions that my interviewer asked. She asked me why I chose my university, a specific research project I did (and I had to walk her through my methodology), and why I was interested in working at this company. Basic standard things.

Currently moving on to 2nd round interviews (on-site).

Interview Questions
    • If I had to tell my school's administration to change one thing, what would it be?   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

I applied about 3 weeks to a month ago and received an email expressing that they wanted a phone interview. The person who interviewed me sounded like she was reading off a teleprompter. Didn't feel like she wanted to get to know me or anything. All in all I would say it was good interview practice. All the questions she asked me are perviously stated on this website. So just study them and you should be fine! After the interview she said it would take about two weeks to go over my information and they will give me an answer either way.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had a bad experience with a customer and how did you solve the problem.   Answer Question