Advisory Board Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.8

Events Member Support Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Advisory Board.

One of the of assistant called to set up an in-person interview week advance notice. The interview went smoothly and with no little to no wait. I have two interviews and it took about 30 mins each

Interview Questions
    • What type of organizational skills do you have and how will it help you with the position?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in June 2014.

Applied online, and received an email to schedule an initial phone interview. Phone interview happened roughly 10 days later, and then was told I would hear back in the following week to see if I was or was not chosen for an on-site interview. I received a second email exactly 2 weeks later requesting a second interview in their DC offices with a chance to meet their team. Unfortunately, I got an email less than a week prior to my in person interviews that my interviews had been cancelled and the position had already been filled. Very disappointed and surprised, as they did not even give me a chance to come in and let them know more about me.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult "customer" and how you handled it?   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Submitted application online and had a standard HR phone interview 2 weeks later reviewing resume/company in general. Two weeks after the phone interviewed, received an offer to interview in person. Paid own travel out to DC to meet with marketing coordinators and team. Questions were mostly behavioral/right fit for company. Received job offer a week later.

Interview Questions
    • They start every question with "I'd love to know.." so be have examples of different experiences/reasons why. What motivates you?   Answer Question

Very low pay

Associate Director/Director Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Advisory Board.

This was one of the longest and most disappointing interview/recruiting processes I've gone through. Many red flags were raised during the process, but I was heavily invested and chose to ignore them. Lesson learned. I'd recommend following your gut instinct with this company.

After an employee referral, I received a telephone screening with HR. It was very thorough and discussed specific skills and experience, so be prepared to speak to your resume. I then embarked on a five-month process that involved eight hours of interviews, including one-on-one with the hiring manager, one-on-one interviews with other senior managers, lunch with hiring manager, and two writing exercises on separate occasions. On several occasions, the interviewer was late, and I waited almost an hour. I found the scheduling problems unprofessional and disrespectful, but I will say that I liked everyone I did meet.

Throughout the lengthy and involved process, I received the impression that I was the top candidate or at least on a very short list, and the hiring manager was merely stalling until she could nail down the hiring budget. Time and again, I expected to receive an offer, only to be stalled some more. Finally, I received a short, impersonal email from HR telling me that the position was not going to be filled at all.

I walked away with respect for the work of ABC and its people but an overwhelming feeling that I'd dodged a bullet if the dysfunctional hiring process was any indication.

Interview Questions
    • Fairly standard behavioral questions. Speak to your resume and experience and know the work of ABC very well.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in June 2014.

Applied online and went through phone screen. The in-person interview occurred 2 weeks afterwards. When the interview was scheduled they sent me a "coding" problem to complete for the interview with topics of discussion related to the coding problem. The instructions were to be prepared to discuss the solution to the coding problem.

The interview was 4 hours long and was with 3 people, a senior engineer, the dev manager and a lead engineer.

No one addressed the coding test, it was a non topic, my preparation and presentation was not reviewed with me.

Each interviewer, and for the whole time, had me solving coding problems on a white board. The coding problems were C# and TSQL

Note: be ready to provide code for solving fibonacci, and other classic code problems.

Observations: The expectations of an engineer there was explained to me to be coding first, then more coding and then after that more coding. Agile iteration were two weeks with deliverables monthly. This is definitely a young persons game, the idea of making good solid code not being emphasized by the short iterations.

Glad to not get an offer . . . I would have refused the offer (the money is not as important as the culture). The people were not friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Write SQL on the white board (they were putting it into SSMS to test it) and then making the query more and more difficult.   View Answer

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

This was one of the most extensive interview processes I've gone through. I had two phone interviews, one with a representative from HR, and the other from a Director. The second phone interview contained a lot of technical questions and SQL examples. From there, I was extended an invitation for a three-hour on-site interview. The first hour is a panel interview, where three potential colleagues ask you questions about your resume, and then you demonstrate your SQL skills based on examples they present. The following two hours are one-on-one interviews with higher ups, and those are just basic questions and very straight forward interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to show correct SQL syntax for Group By examples. Know the difference between inner, outer, left and right outer joins and how they will affect your results.   Answer Question
    Negotiation was very easy.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

I had my personal friend submit my resume. I got a call 2 weeks later from the recruiter. They then to a 1 hour phone screening interview. They have targeted questions to determine experience level and pre-qualify you for the next round. If the recruiter liked your answers then within the next 2 weeks you will get a call from a Sr. Director, Director or a Manager and they will repeat the process again but be more specific. This will be another 1 hour screening call.

Then if you have passed the 2 screening calls within 1 week after the last call they will schedule you for a 3 hour block of physical interviews in the office. Each hour you will meet with either 1 person or a team and they will put you through the interview process of similar questions. After the 3 hours you will be exhausted.

Some interviewer might ask you to demonstrate your SQL knowledge by writing out a script.or ask you to do coding.

The 1st key...they must like you.. I have seen people who were too confident come across as arrogant and the team did not like the person so he was rejected.
    The 2nd key...you must know what you what you claim you can do. They will call you out on subjects and ask you to prove it.
    The final key...ask questions and then ask more questions and then ask even more questions. They want you to be hungry for the position. Make sure the questions are relevant. People that ask zero questions do not get hired! Don't talk about salary or benefits (wait for the offer to discuss/finalize it).

Interview Questions
    • They like to through people off the track by asking "vague" questions in the middle of an interview to make sure the person is being real and not robotic.

Examples -
      1. What do you do during your time away from work?
      2. What hobbies do you do?
      3. What is your driving motivation to do something?
      4. What is the greatest accomplishment you have done in your life (outside of graduating from school)?
        View Answers (2)
    During the offer phase is when you negotiate. What ever salary you agree to...your annual bump in salary will only be 3% to 4% most of the time. So negotiate the best salary for you.

Dedicated Advisor Interview

Phone interview was around 30 minutes long, mostly behavioral interview questions. I was contacted by email for an onsite interview about a week later. The onsite interview was overall a good experience, I spoke with 3 managers, and they were all very courteous. I had to do a case interview for one of the interviews. They gave me an excel data set to analyze and create a powerpoint presentation.

Interview Questions
    • Some of the behavioral interview questions during the phone interview were tough. You have to think on your feet.   Answer Question

Consultant, Healthcare Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

I applied using the online system. It was quick and easy to use. After a few weeks, I was contacted by a coordinator to do a phone interview via email with a recruiter. Process went smoothly and interview lasted 30 minutes.

New Product Development Analyst Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Advisory Board.

I applied for a position in the New Product Development department and was contacted to set up an interview for the Dedicated Analyst Position instead, which I accepted. I first had a phone screen and was then invited to continue to the next step, which I told was a Skype interview with a Manager in the Survey Solutions division. During this time, I communicated with two different people, neither of whom identified what position they held in regards to recruiting. Nevertheless, 5 hours before my Skype interview, I was informed it would be a phone interview and most likely case-style questions. I prepped with the case material provided for review and the interview turned out to be entirely behavioral questions. I was then invited for the third round of interviews at the office with another member of the Survey Solutions division. Interview was okay, but it was less of a conversation and more of my interviewer reading questions off of a sheet. I didn't hear from them from a month regarding the position (which, by that time, I assumed I hadn't gotten) when I finally heard back from one of the two people with whom I had been communicating. She was very apologetic for not having gotten back to me earlier. SUMMARY: nice company, nice people, but extremely disorganized.

Interview Questions
    • They gave me five aspects of the position and asked me to rank them from 1-5 in order of how much I would like doing them. Twice.   Answer Question