Advisory Board

Updated Jan 26, 2015
Updated Jan 26, 2015

2.8

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Advisory Board in November 2014.

Basic first interview screening phone call. Interviewer was very nice, went straight into opening up about my school and work experiences. Asked me to explain how my experiences/skills would fit the position. At the end of the interview she explained the next steps of the job process, which involved being contacted by a hiring manager and bringing me into the office.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me to explain a group project that I participated in during college.   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Advisory Board in November 2014.

I first gave my resume to a recruiter at my (large) University. Didn't hear anything. Then someone I knew offered to refer me, and I sent them my resume.

I then heard back from someone at the company asking to set up a phone interview. It was about 30 minutes long and included questions like "If you could recommend anything to the administration of your university what would it be?" and "What was a time when you had to deal with an unhappy customer or conflict in the workplace?" The person was very clearly reading off a script, but was receptive and asked follow-up questions.

About a week later I received an email inviting me to the next "Preview Day" in DC. I'm still waiting on more details of that. I probably won't take the job if I'm offered it because the salary is pretty low.

Read through all the questions people have posted here--I wasn't asked a single question that I didn't read on this forum beforehand.

Interview Questions
    • "Describe a time when you had to set specific goals to accomplish a task." Not a hard question, but she really didn't seem to understand my answer for some reason and I had to rephrase myself a few times.   Answer Question

Salary too low

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in November 2014.

Applied online. Received an initial screen from the HR department, and then an hour-long phone screen by the manager of the team. This was followed by a four-hour onsite interview and finally another 75 minute phone interview with the architect.

Overall, the interviews were straightforward and fair. I was questioned on a mix of technical, behavioral, and design.

Received an offer for a more senior position than I had initially applied for, but the salary was far below what I had stated as my requirement. I'm left mostly confused, because it seems like a tremendous waste of my time an their employees' time. Yet the HR person seemed to feel I should be flattered just to get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question: What's the difference between a bit and a byte? (Really?)   Answer Question

Offer did not meet salary requirements, even though salary requirements had been discussed several times.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in November 2014.

Applied through the corporate website. I was contacted within a week, and we set up a first-round phone interview. It was a brief conversation about my experiences, and we basically went over the resume. Then, I got invited to the second-round at the headquarters. It consisted of two case interviews and one writing test. The case interviews are very simple. The two senior consultants I talked to were both late to the interviews, and they didn't seem interested in the interview or myself. HR just schedules these interviews randomly and puts them in their calendars, so they are literally pulled out randomly. The writing test is very ambiguous; it's also case-style, so I had no idea if I was doing it correctly. They cancelled my last interview with a manager. They told me two weeks later that I was not given the position. They don't respond to emails, and there don't give feedback. There is no one recruiter in the process, it's random people just emailing you generic emails. They will also take forever to reimburse me in my travels.

Interview Questions
    • Which state's model of Medicaid reimbursement is the most interesting to you?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

First round interview was conducted over the phone and fairly straight forward. A lot of experience questions related to research. Be sure to prepare an answer related to a time that you conducted a research study, including methodology and findings.

Interview Questions
    • What would you change about your undergraduate university? When is a time that you conducted a research study?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

first round behavioral interview followed by an on-site interview that consisted of behavioral and business case-style questions; the interviewers were both enthusiastic and knowledgable and really listened to what you were saying; the cases were average difficulty

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Advisory Board.

Very clear and straightforward. First phone interview was just behavioral. Second round was 2 cases, didn't get to the third. The first case was just a basic math problem. The second was an open ended case given some numbers, asking about what areas a non-profit hospital could invest in. It was hard because both seemed more confusing at first but really were very straightforward.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about a return on investment for things a hospital could do to spur growth.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

I applied through university career services. Received an email about a phone interview within a week. During the interview, the interviewer asked me basic behavioral questions. Prepare for the research project question. I discussed a performance I had written for a theater NGO though the interviewer asked for an academic research project example. Not sure which is better.

Analyst, Research and Insights Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

Submitted resume through my university's job board. Got scheduled for an on-campus interview about a week later. The interview questions were fairly straightforward, mostly about my resume, my research experience, and a few behavioral questions. They invited me to interview in their DC office, which will happen in about a week. The on-site interview will involve speaking with 2-3 employees with case interviews and behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • What recommendation would you make to your school's administration?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Applied online, then had a phone interview which was all behavioral. Was invited to their DC office for further interviewing. Three sessions of cases and behavioral. They really want someone who is specifically interested in health and medicine.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to elaborate on past research experience and why I was interested specifically in the advisory board.   Answer Question