Advisory Board Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.8

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Austin, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

HR round-preliminary SQL question, technical round- resume and SQL again. Onsite interview - 4 panels.. 3:1 and 3 1:1. SQL, brainteasers, project management and client management related questions. Joins, group by, schema creation, normalization, all basic queries. SQL everything !, How do you negotiate? how can you improve process?. board and a marker and you have to write everything, They are very casual and conversational. Overall positive and a well conducted interview. The management is very organized.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board in May 2015.

Interview

It was long drawn beginning with phone screening (few weeks after online application), then interview with team manager (another couple of weeks), problem solving homework (after couple of weeks), and then finally interview with developers (senior and mid level). Finally, they closed the position down. It sucks a little. Both the interviewers were impressed. The recruiter came back with positive feedback. However, they chose to close the position down. Given amount of time I spent through the entire process, this was disappointing and slightly frustrating.

Interview Questions

• It was about my current experience and some discussions on best practices across various domains.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board in May 2015.

Interview

Submitted a resume online and spoke with a recruiter. Was referred to a VP of the division. There were three separate phone calls and an on-site interview. It was relaxed and comfortable but more casual than I was used to.

Interview Questions

• They did not ask behavioral interview questions which was nice. It was more of a conversation about your work history and goals for the future. It was relatively easy to get comfortable about the process.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

My first step was a call with someone from HR to review the positions and see if there were any other roles available that might be a good fit. From there, I had two Skype interviews for two different roles. The next step would have been to travel to the office for a series of in-person interviews, but I was not chosen to advance

Senior Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board in May 2015.

Interview

Just got a phone interview which lasted 20+ minutes, and is waiting for next steps. The interviewer was quite friendly. She started with an introduction of her background, and proceeded to the interview questions, and then answered my questions. Nothing unexpected happened during the process as I prepared carefully for this interview. My advise is that be sure to prepare all the questions listed on Glassdoor for this company, and to talk as much as possible and as clearly as possible for each question.

Interview Questions

• How did you learn about this company and this position?   Answer Question
    • What is your strength as a writer?   Answer Question
    • Tell me more about your education background and some meaningful experiences   Answer Question
    • Walk me through a research project that you worked on, including methodology, major findings, etc.   Answer Question

Membership Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

HR Interview - Simple and to the point, be sure to ask a lot of questions 3 - 4 interviews with team members, have a good understanding of the role. They are looking for people who are proactive in the position and know what is expected of them.

Interview Questions

• If given a lot of assignments, how would you prioritize and organize yourself?   Answer Question

Integration Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process as a whole was a little slow-going: from the time I applied online til the time I got a first initial HR phone-screen, then to a technical interview, 3 weeks or more had passed. Initially, the HR phone screener admitted they were trying to understand the market, as I had inquired as to the skill-level of the position, having held positions which were more Senior-level prior to applying to Advisory Board. Regardless, the screener said she liked my background and said I should have a Technical Interview with the other members of the Team so I could get a better feel for the position. About a week + 1/2 later, I had the technical phone screen with both a Director-level employee and also a Lead simultaneously via a conference call. After telling me about the Company, the Director gave way to the Lead to begin the interview and this is where the interview went South. The interviewer proceeded to ask me numerous shell-script syntax questions over the phone mostly related to regular expressions. It was quite awful as I'm more hands-on, though I got most of them right. Overall it felt a little insulting as again, it felt like I was interviewing for a Junior-level position. The lead also was difficult to understand at times, not only because of a medium-heavy accent, but also because she spoke very quietly, and the quality of the conference call was not the best. The Lead also asked me a few questions about my experience with a few Big Data platforms, and when I replied I had had some exposure, she then proceeded to tell me they didn't use anything like that at the moment but that they 'might' look into it in the future. Overall I got the feeling she was trying to test me in a slightly passive-agressive manner. A few SQL questions followed. In retrospect, I got one question about Join-types incorrect, but at this point I was pretty ready to get the interview over with. Based on a few of the questions, and how I gave alternative tools or scenarios, I felt the Lead would not have been easy to work with. In addition, once I asked a few questions about the environment did the situation become clearer: it felt as if they were stuck in the early 2000's working with perl and shell scripts and manually verifying ETL import jobs. There seemed to be no real direction and no real solid procedures in place. Now having been part of several high-profile Operations Teams from the beginning, and having had experience building Operations from the ground-up, it felt a little lacking that the Lead had not taken things in a manner which I felt they should have been. The core of the job seemed to be centered about manually verifying ETL import jobs and importing these into different databases. If something went wrong with the Databases, the Architecture team would be contacted. Definitely not as hands-on as I initially thought and I knew definitively from that point I would not be moving forward with them. Overall I knew I was way overqualified for the position though just politely finished the technical phone interview. In the industry, Senior-level means more than knowing shell-script regular expressions syntax off the top of your head: it means being able to follow through on Projects more than anything. The fact that the team seems to have been stuck in the early 2000's, with no kind of Configuration Management in place and no real Operations was telling.

Interview Questions

• If I had worked with Big Data Platforms.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview is by phone. The recruiter first asked some details about the projects which I did before( how I applied R to analyze data). Then they asked several general questions.

Compensation and Equity Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

Pleasant and very easy going. The interviewer was very casual and the questions were very relevant. I felt very comfortable throughout the interview screening process. The position I applied for is in Washington DC.

Senior Integrated Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

I had 4 technical rounds. One phone interview and 3 face to face interviews at dc office. Phone interview was focused on Data structures and algorithms, database. Face TO Face interviews: They will throw you some designing question and ask you to build the design to check upto which extent you can think in developing application. They asked one analytical question and one sql query to write.