Advisory Board

Updated Dec 16, 2014
Updated Dec 16, 2014

2.8

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

Received word for an initial phone interview. Interviewer sounded as if reading a script the entire time (Completely monotone), and very un-engaging. I had the opportunity to ask questions towards the end, to which interviewer responded accordingly and satisfactorily. About a week later I was invited for an in-person interview. However, I declined as I accepted a position for another job I was applying for (hopefully won't come back to haunt me!)

Interview Questions
    • All fairly simple questions: "walk me through your resume"; "describe a situation where things didn't go as planned and how did you adjust?"; "how do you keep yourself organized?"   Answer Question

Account Management Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

One phone interview, two days of interviews- 30 minute interview rounds with potential managers. I had 5 rounds each day, but they ask the same or very similar questions, so it is not difficult. You will find that the managers interviewing you use very similar jargon, specific words, etc. If you pick up on this, find a way to incorporate their lingo into your language. It will make you seem like you are an even better fit for their department/team.

Interview Questions
    • All very basic. They ask you how you prioritize your day, how you handle multiple tasks, give examples of a time you had to deal with an unhappy client, etc. You know it is going well when they ask you what you like to do in your spare time, plans for the weekend, etc!   Answer Question
    No negotiations.

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

Very streamlined process. My resume was submitted to HR through a friend's referral. Within two weeks, HR contacted me for a phone interview. Within another two weeks, I had an in-person interview that consisted of speaking with two practice managers and an executive director (3 hours) as well as a one-hour writing test.

Interview Questions
    Upon pushing back at their initial offer, they increased the base by 5% and offered a starting bonus.

Healthcare Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

Recruiter contacted me for an initial phone interview within a few days of submitting resume. Pretty basic stuff. Another recruiter followed up asking to schedule an interview in person. Then I didn't hear from her for weeks despite my repeated e-mails. Finally set up a date, then they cancelled the day before. Set up another date, first interview was via Skype and barely worked. Second interview was in person and he barely asked me any questions at all. That was a month and a half ago; no contact since.

At the very least if you go for an in person interview it seems like they should have the decency to write a brief e-mail saying "thanks for coming in, we're not interested." Not at ABC. So that should give you an indication of how this company functions and how they view people.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what you know about our business model. What??   Answer Question

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in September 2014.

Initially applied for another position but after the phone interview was interviewed for the Director postion. The phone interview with one of the Directors was very pleasant, the in person interview was pale to start with. It seemed like the interview was forced to do the interviews. One of the interviewers cancelled at the last moment, which didn't seem like a coincidence to me.
    Highly unimpressive.

Interview Questions
    • the interview itself wasn't difficult, the interviewer least interested could be because it was Monday morning. One of the interviewers cancelled at the last moment. I'm not sure if that was on purpose because the first one had reservations. Either way, I think it's unprofessional and I haven't heard anything back as far as rescheduling the interview goes.
      My gut feeling is, that is not happening, but as a common courtesy, I would have appreciated least an email saying "We are pursuing other candidates".
      It's a little demeaning the way they treat candidates also shows that they have no respect for other people's time.

This has left a bad taste to me and would definitely not feel confident about working in a place that is not professional enough.

Answer Question

DevelopmentEnterprise Technologies Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in September 2014.

The first interview was phone call. It took 10 mins to talk about my background. Also they asked about my GPA, why you want to work at ABC. They let you to ask questions. I think that I did great company's research and they seems like it.

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Advisory Board in September 2014.

submitted resume through college, passed the resume review and invited to screening interview, answer a few behavioral questions, basically talk about your self, why did you choose your school and tell me about one of your research experience

Interview Questions
    • nothing really stood out to me as difficult to answer, but my research experience was obviously was not outstanding so that didn't really help   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

Applied online. Got an email from the recruiter after 3-4 weeks of applying. Had a normal screening round with the Recruiter. She seemed to typing everything down, but went well. All they want to hear is that you know SQL.
    I got the response within 4-5 days for the next round. That round was with an Associate Director. He asked me general background questions. SQL questions based on my resume projects. He was very happy with the SQL query and explanations. Got the third round confirmation the same evening.
    Last round had 1 3:1 and 3 1:1 interviews. All are based on background, mainly SQL. They make you draw stuff on white board and explain constraints or data modelling. There is a behavioral round in between. They focus on 3 main aspects - Technology, Project Management and Client/Customer Management. So be prepared to relate your work in those lines.

Interview Questions
    • IF there are 2 clients which have an issue, there is absolutely no way you can solve the issues, what will you do??   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

I applied online through their website and got an email asking for an interview. I interviewed with them a couple of days later. The interviewer was pretty nice. It was a pretty standard question and answer interview which didn't really leave much for your personality to come through. Took the entire 30 min.

Interview Questions
    • What about your school administration would you change?   Answer Question

Software Architect/Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

The process was fine and was a good experience. I was contacted by a recruiting firm which finds candidates for them.
    I met personally with a couple of their managers in the recruiters office. This is the first round of interview. It went well. They asked about how I deal with scenarios in my current job and discussed what my role is in my job. Very few technical questions.
    Second round was at their office. 8 people in total did the interview in 5 phases.

Phase 1 - Met the same manager that I met in my earlier interview. He just explained how the interview process is going to go.

Phase 2 - 2 of their senior developers. Mostly technical. They gave me a spec that's 2 pages long and asked me to design the system. This was after about 30 mins of talking about various technical details of what I do at my current job and what frameworks we use etc. I was initially surprised to look at the 2 page document and I guess I might have been carried away by some details in the document rather than focusing on the big picture and their intent. We went through how some potential design ideas before running out of time.

Phase 3 - One senior architect and one project manager. Project manager was mostly silent for the whole process. The architect just came and gave me a problem and asked me to come up with an algorithm to solve the problem. I did not do well here. I wasn't expecting this type of question. So, I took too long to answer this. I eventually answered bu I felt like it took too long.

Phase 4 - Direct manager. She just kept asking some standard questions like what inspired you? What are your limitations? etc and kept noting down my answers without any feedback. Kind of hard to judge what she was thinking.

Phase 5 - 2 program managers from Chicago office did a Skype interview. I was exhausted by now. But, I think I did pretty well there too.

Overall I think I was kind of unprepared for this interview. I relied too much on my current skills at my job and did not brush up much related to basic Computer science concepts.