Advisory Board

456 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Healthcare Consultant/Dedicated Advisor Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Advisory Board in December 2013.

Interview Details – General Impression: The company has some good upper-level opportunities but is not the best place for entry-level candidates who are interested in gaining experience and doing significant, quality work. The Marketing Associate position seems to be where most current employees get their start and the company strongly prefers to hire internally. Unfortunately based on conversations with current employees, Marketing Associates are salesmen (cold calling) who do little to actually impact healthcare management/improvement. These roles are usually filled by students just out of undergrad. ABC is well-known in the industry for underpaying employees. Most employees at ABC are very young. Job listings and descriptions use ABC terminology with is at times extremely general and somewhat deceiving. ABC is not a traditional healthcare consulting firm and is likely not a good fit for those interested in actual healthcare consulting.

The interview process took far too long. Compared to other well-known healthcare consulting firms, ABC was relatively unorganized and somewhat inconsiderate throughout the interview process.

Within about a week of submitting my resume with a referral, I got a 30 minute phone interview scheduled for a week later. It was a typical "screening" interview.

The interviewer began by telling me about her background and experience at the company. She then asked me to tell her about myself/walk her through my resume. She followed up with a few questions about various items on my resume: how did I reduce costs for the hospitals, talk about a time when I worked on a project from beginning to end, how are my project management skills, etc. The next day, I received an invitation to interview in-person when I was about two months away from a realistic start date.

Just scheduling a date to interview in-person took two full months. Depending on the position, you will have to completed specific assignments prior to the interviews. I was scheduled to interview for more than one position, which I appreciated. Unfortunately, half of my interviews were cancelled when I was en route because they said they had just filled the position. Sadly, this meant that the time I spent preparing those assignments was wasted. They then said I would interview for a position I was not actually interested in.

In-person interviews are 1-on-1. They were mostly asking questions related to my experience, interest in the position, and fit with the company. They asked many questions about times when I made mistakes, had great successes, group work, individual work, my general background, my interest in healthcare, my interest in the company, my experience with front-line staff, my experience with executives, my customer services skills, etc. There was NO case interview and NO quantitative problem. Multiple interviewers asked me to give them my 20-30 second elevator pitch. One interviewer put on a lot of pressure, which seemed intentional. I think it may have been to see how you would stand up to stubborn clients who question your credibility.

After contacting my recruiter a week after the interviews, I was scheduled for an additional phone interview, which was a week later and the same as the others. Without a decision from ABC after such a long period of time, I accepted an offer with another company.

Note: the "Healthcare Consultant" position is NOT a consulting position. It is a role married to a specific software program and turns out to be more technology focused. It is NOT in the consulting department of the company. The ABC terminology is very deceiving.

Interview Question – You're obviously not qualified for this position... Why do you think you're qualified?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in December 2013.

Interview Details – I connected with a mid-level management guy, he referred my application. Two week process. Be prepared to answer questions about goal setting, organizational system, and university choice.

Interview Question – How do you achieve goals?   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Senior Business Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in November 2010.

Interview Details – Very usual questions. Behavioral, job-fit questions and 1 case study.

Interview Question – Case study was very challenging, but was fun.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was very easy.

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in November 2013.

Interview Details – I got a phone interview through an internal referral. Pretty straightforward, know your resume well and be prepared to answer why you're interested in healthcare. A couple days later they called to tell me they wanted to fly me in for an in person interview. That was 3 one-on-one interviews, two included a case study. There was also a one-page written case with plenty of time to think and answer. None of the interviews require specific knowledge about healthcare, just clear and logical thinking. The case studies are not like the regular consulting cases. They are about efficiency, marketing, revenue, etc. in various healthcare-related situations, but again, no prior knowledge is required. Keep in mind that if you don't make it to the third interview, you probably didn't get it. Think fast, demonstrate enthusiasm, and you should be okay. A couple of weeks later I received an offer. They were very professional and courteous throughout the entire process.

Interview Question – You have a hospital abroad with a decreasing patient volume. What strategies would you implement to remedy the issue?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very little wiggle room.

Senior Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview with HR - who was a nice lady. Pretty standard questions. But did not go through to the second round.

Interview Question – Basically the questions from the previous reviews.   Answer Question

Health Care Consultant, Senior Associate Interview

Austin, TX

Interview Details – I have applied a few times to the company, to be honest I'm not sure if they responded to an e-mail I sent to a recruiter when I got a name from a friend that worked there or if they responded to an application I put in online. I had a phone interview but it was right before a holiday, I heard back 1 week later and they set up a 3hr interview with 3 one on one's with separate people for that same week. They called me about 2hrs after and set up one more phone interview for the next day with the person that will be my boss, that was on a Friday and I got an offer early the next week.

The communication was great, they touched base throughout the process and were willing to work with me through some timing issues with leaving my previous company. Everyone was so helpful and the people that interviewed me were great about setting realistic expectations of the job, sometimes you leave an interview and you're still not 100% sure what the job will be like, that definitely was not my experience.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were either specific to the tool I would be working with and how I would deal with certain situations and how I would approach an issue or a rollout with a client/member. They definitely want you to do your research, be knowledgable about the company and the kind of services they provide. I was applying for the Crimson team specifically so I had read everything I could online about the tools and software they offer. I think that really helped me!
One person asked me some case study questions that you can't really prepare for, you're either going to work through them like they want or you're not. Do some research about case study interviews in consulting work and you should be able to get some good examples.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were not really open to negotiation about the dollar figure. I felt like the number was fair and applicable to my number of years in the business and how my experience directly related to the new position, I was happy with it.
The benefit package is good, the insurance is a little better than my current company, you start out with generous vacation time and they really seem employee focused and want you to have a good work/life balance.

Lancaster, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Advisory Board in December 2013.

Interview Details – Very typical behavioral questions, went over the resume, why Advisory Board, the interviewer was also pretty nice. I don't like this position, but just wanna practice my skills since it was my first phone interview experience. The most frequent sentence is 'I would like to hear...' then you just need to talk about your previous experience...and I asked a few questions at the end.

Sales and Marketing Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – Received a phone interview. Pretty generic questions, not much room to actually figure out who you are.

Interview Question – No particularly challenging questions, google "what to ask when interviewing someone" and I'm sure you'll find them all.   Answer Question

Director, Content Marketing Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Advisory Board in October 2013.

Interview Details – Had an initial phone screening with HR, moved on to interview with Managing Director, Performance Technologies

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Hiring manager seemed mostly interested in why I left past positions.   Answer Question

Marketing Associate Interview

Marketing Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in November 2013.

Interview Details – I was referred into The Advisory Board and received contact from a recruiter within a week to set up a Skype interview. Unfortunately the recruiter did not understand that I am an experienced corporate marketing professional and they wanted to interview my for what is essentially a "sales" job within the organization. We discussed that I would be a better fit for another position posted on their website. The recruiter was going to forward my resume along to the right individual, but I never heard anything from them again.

I sent a think you email and... nothing. I sent a follow-up email and again... nothing. To me it seems rather unprofessional to not respond to thank yous or follow-up especially when you are referred into the organization.

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question