Advisory Board

Getting the Interview

87 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Marketing Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Advisory Board in February 2014.

Interview Details – Starts with a phone interview. Then you have to wait about 2 weeks to hear if you are invented to interview in person. I applied online. The phone interview was relatively basic. It lasts about 20 minutes. Basically you go through your resume and explain your experience. They were interested in why you applied to Advisory Board in the first place.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you weren't as organized as possible and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Marketing Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in November 2013.

Interview Details – I was referred into The Advisory Board and received contact from a recruiter within a week to set up a Skype interview. Unfortunately the recruiter did not understand that I am an experienced corporate marketing professional and they wanted to interview my for what is essentially a "sales" job within the organization. We discussed that I would be a better fit for another position posted on their website. The recruiter was going to forward my resume along to the right individual, but I never heard anything from them again.

I sent a think you email and... nothing. I sent a follow-up email and again... nothing. To me it seems rather unprofessional to not respond to thank yous or follow-up especially when you are referred into the organization.

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Marketing Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – They initially interviewed me for a marketing associate position, I made it past the first round (over the phone) and they emailed to tell me I had been invited to interview them at the DC office. However, they told me I would have to pay for travel expenses, etc. I honestly could not afford to pay for that so I wrote back and expressed me high interest in the company, but declined to continue with the interview process. The next day, HR contacted me again saying their international team had agreed to a Skype interview. I accepted, and I am scheduled to interview with them soon.

Interview Question – Walk me through your resume.
Why did you choose your College?
What attracted you to the Advisory Board Company?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – If they are not planning on funding your travel expenses for an in person interview, express your interest in the company and they will most likely offer an alternative, like Skype

Interviewed at Advisory Board

Interview Details – Phone interview - a week after I applied for the job, I received a phone inteview request. The questions were nothing unexpected. The interviewer was very nice and helpful, but sounded like she just needed it to get it overwith so she could move on to the next one.

Interview Question – No terribly unexpected questions:
How do you think you can benefit from your liberal arts education?
Tell me about a time when you had to overcome an obstacle.
  Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online - interviewed at Advisory Board in April 2013.

Interview Details – Got an email after a month of submitting my application. The position was for something that was completely different that what I had applied for. When inquiring about the issue, the HR rep just shrugged it off and insisted that she thought I'd be a good candidate for her particular position she was recruiting for. In some magical way, I found myself being flown to their HQ and interviewing with four people for a role that I never applied for 2/4 people in the interview panel showed up late and then continued to ask why I was interviewing for the position when my skills seemed to match another role. It was pretty frustrating. The current employee that I know working there later verified for me that their HR is a mess.

Interview Question – They churn a lot of marketing associates out because they don't meet their numbers, so a lot of the questions were about hitting targets and being comfortable with the fact that you were basically going to get fired within a year if you didn't make your sales. This is probably why they are trying to get everyone to interview for this position because it's always in demand.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – This is the most ridiculous recruiting process I've ever been through. Imagine what would be down the line.

Interviewed at Advisory Board

Interview Details – I was referred by a current employee and after submitting my application materials I received a phone call to schedule a phone interview two weeks later. The interview was very standard interview with an HR manager. The Manager was rather cold and seemed generally uninterested in what I had to said. It seemed like she was reading off a script.

Interview Question – Manager asked me what I would change about the university I attended.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied on the website and was scheduled a phone interview about 2 weeks later. The phone interview was basically just talking to a HR person about my resume. She also asked me my basic understanding of the company, a difficult decision/experience in college and the process I took to overcome it. That day I received an email granting me an in person interview in 2 weeks. I was scheduled two interviews 1:1 and 2:1. The questions were pretty much the same in both meetings. They explained the position in great detail and asked how my characteristics aligned with someone they are seeking. They asked me to pick a part on my resume to go more in depth with (opportunity to brag). Each meeting was 30 min and they don't allow you to go over that time limit which I think is unfair.

Interview Question – Pretty generic   Answer Question

Interviewed at Advisory Board

Interview Details – Submitted application, then invited for a first round interview. Basic questions about myself, which lead to another interview two weeks later over the phone. More of the same. Then was asked to come in for another meeting, this time with five different managers,and was asked to learn a presentation. All the managers asked me variations of the same questions regarding my experience

Interview Question – How does your liberal arts background qualify you for a position dealing with healthcare   Answer Question

Marketing Associate

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – I had a complicated process that had me interviewing for various positions

Interview Question – Have you had any experience with teamwork and salrd   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Advisory Board in May 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through university career services. Was contacted for a phone interview. About a month later I was invited for an on sight interview. Interviewed with two Chief of Staffs. Then taken out to lunch with a current Marketing Associate.

Interview Question – What do you forsee as being the hardest part of the job?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Advisory Board

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Advisory Board Marketing Associate interview questions and advice. All 87 interview reviews posted anonymously by Advisory Board employees and interview candidates.