Advisory Board

Getting the Interview

33 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – Was contacted by HR a couple days after submitting a resume online to schedule a phone interview. HR was very friendly, and conducted the usual interview screening: Tell me about your experiences and how it ties to the position; why you are interested in ADB and the position, etc. Was very prepared and the interview seemed to go over smoothly, however I was emailed later on in the week with a rejection. There were probably more qualified people.

Interview Question – What would you change about your university or post-graduate university?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – Interview was straight forward. A lot of the advice on here will come in handy. Interviewer questions mainly about my research experience, interest in health care, and university choice. I was asked about my interest in another department and told my credentials would be passed along to them too. Sent a follow-up email after no response after three weeks and didn't hear back.

Research Associate

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – I was internally referred

Interview Question – They ask a lot of questions about how you would conduct research and why you chose the institution/college   Answer Question

Research Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty off-putting. It seems like their HR department is really unorganized, as I was contacted by two separate recruiters to set up first round interviews. When I emailed them to let them know, neither of them reacted to the issue. My actual phone interview was uninteresting (not hard at all, all the questions are on Glassdoor), as the questions were very dry and the interviewer didn't react to anything. It was obvious she was just reading off a script. I honestly don't know how they expect to understand their potential hires with such a flippant hiring process.

Interview Question – Walk me through a research project (methodology, findings, results, etc).   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – I applied for the position in early December of 2013. I heard back from someone at the Advisory Board in late December, and they set up a phone interview with a recruiter. They asked me very detailed questions about my research experience. Then I had a case interview by phone with a research manager, which was a little difficult for me since I had never done one. After that I completed a 1.5 hour writing test from home, which was fairly easy. The company then flew me down to the DC office for 2 case interviews, both 2:1 with research managers. Everyone was extremely friendly and welcoming, and once I the interviews began I wasn't nervous at all. All of the case questions were research-oriented, not consulting-oriented, which made them much more manageable. Overall I had a great experience.

Interview Question – How to best consolidate student services at a university   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation available, since most RAs have the same experience level

Research Associate

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – Entire process took about a month. First, it was a phone interview which was pretty straightforward. Second, it was two case interviews, which were not particularly difficult, but it was hard to know what they were looking for.

Interview Question – Cases were not technical in nature. Didn't really need background knowledge.   Answer Question

Research Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Advisory Board in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied and was contacted just two days later to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was quite straightforward with many of the questions asked already on here. There was nothing tricky and they were extremely helpful in communicating on time. I did not get the position, though I'm not entirely sure why I didn't get a second interview.

Interview Question – Most were easy, but maybe what draws you to the financial management side of higher education?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and got an email within a week, which was faster than I was expecting. The HR scheduled a phone interview with me at the following week. I read all the previous reviews and prepared as much as I could. And it turns out the interview process was exactly as other posts on glassdoor described. So definitely read all the reviews on glassdoor and prepare for questions mentioned in them. Those help !!

However, just as the other job seekers had mentioned, the interviewer did sound like she was going over a sheet of questions and sounded quite indifferent from my answers. The questions were about my past experience and research experience. I thought that I had prepared pretty well for those questions.

The interview lasted about 30 min and the interviewer told me they would contact me within a week or two. The following week I received an email from another recruiter telling me that I did not get the job, which was very odd. The email was "copy and paste" format, they just put in my name. I was expecting something like sorry you didn't move to the second round etc but instead I just got an email saying we can't offer you a job. I think an earlier post said similar thing.

Overall I think the interview went pretty well but I didn't move to the second round.

Interview Question – Prepare to discuss in details about your research experience. You should elaborate yourself until the interviewer tells you to stop. Because the interviewer did not do any follow up type of questions but they really want to know your research ability. So my suggestion is just to prepare a detailed explanation of your research experience.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in September 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume through someone in the company/their internal referral system and got an email within a week requesting a phone interview. It was very friendly and asked basic questions about my education and job experience. The most curveball questions were still pretty easy, like what would I change about my college. About 2 weeks later I was asked to come in to the office to interview second round. They scheduled me for another 2 weeks later. The interview took a full day- a one on one interview for an hour, followed by a 2 on one interview for another hour, then a 1.5 hour writing test. The interviewers both asked case study questions which were difficult. They also wanted me to go into depth about prior research I had done-- an amount of depth I probably wasn't prepared for, bc they wanted very specific information about what I wrote about and my process that I couldn't remember well enough. The writing test required me to read 2 articles and write a one page synopsis and recommendation based on the material. It wasn't too hard and there was plenty of time. Add yet another 2 weeks later, and I got an email informing me I didn't get it.

Interview Question – A car rental service wants to expand a taxi service into a small town. How do you evaluate this investment?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – Did two rounds of interviews. The first was a phone interview with standard questions about my resume and research experience. The second round was in-person in DC; 2 interviews with 2 managers each and a writing test. The interview questions were mostly standard and the case interviews were not difficult; the interviewers were great about helping me walk through them when I had challenges.

Interview Question – Case interview on RCM model at a university.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Advisory Board

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Advisory Board Research Associate interview questions and advice. All 33 interview reviews posted anonymously by Advisory Board employees and interview candidates.