Advisory Board Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated May 21, 2014

2.9

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Advisory Board in May 2014.

This normally starts via a web board. Sending in the application was relatively basic and I was contacted within a week. The interview was over the phone and lasted about 20-30 minutes. The interviewer was very friendly and had a broad range of questions that covered methodology and experience.

Interview Questions
  • Being questioned on your methodology can be challenging if you don't have a concrete, prepared answer.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Advisory Board

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

I put in an application on their website and was contacted for a phone interview soon after. It was mostly fit questions and a question about a research project I've completed. After that they asked me if I would be interested in a research position. I said yes and then got the call for an interview on-site. I was interviewing for a research associate specifically with the Education Advisory Board. The original information they sent me to help prepare for their interview said I should expect a case interview. That was a little misleading. It was not the traditional case interview. Instead, it started with a writing exercise. The prompt I got asked me how a university should approach consolidating different academic programs. I was a little confused. Only when I reached the in-person interview did I realize they don't want you to case interview where you have an answer at the end, it should be more of a brainstorming session. In other words, they want you to put forward a few important things they would need to keep in mind as they try to complete this project and write it like the 5-paragraph expository essays of middle school. Maybe at the end put forward a hypothesis but no definitive conclusion is really necessary. Half of the in-person interview had this same format. The other half was a normal fit interview. They asked me again about the research project.

Interview Questions
    • What is a research project you've completed? What was your strategy and what was your biggest challenge?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Was contacted by HR a couple days after submitting a resume online to schedule a phone interview. HR was very friendly, and conducted the usual interview screening: Tell me about your experiences and how it ties to the position; why you are interested in ADB and the position, etc. Was very prepared and the interview seemed to go over smoothly, however I was emailed later on in the week with a rejection. There were probably more qualified people.

Interview Questions
    • What would you change about your university or post-graduate university?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview was straight forward. A lot of the advice on here will come in handy. Interviewer questions mainly about my research experience, interest in health care, and university choice. I was asked about my interest in another department and told my credentials would be passed along to them too. Sent a follow-up email after no response after three weeks and didn't hear back.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Advisory Board.

I applied for the position in early December of 2013. I heard back from someone at the Advisory Board in late December, and they set up a phone interview with a recruiter. They asked me very detailed questions about my research experience. Then I had a case interview by phone with a research manager, which was a little difficult for me since I had never done one. After that I completed a 1.5 hour writing test from home, which was fairly easy. The company then flew me down to the DC office for 2 case interviews, both 2:1 with research managers. Everyone was extremely friendly and welcoming, and once I the interviews began I wasn't nervous at all. All of the case questions were research-oriented, not consulting-oriented, which made them much more manageable. Overall I had a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • How to best consolidate student services at a university   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation available, since most RAs have the same experience level

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Did two rounds of interviews. The first was a phone interview with standard questions about my resume and research experience. The second round was in-person in DC; 2 interviews with 2 managers each and a writing test. The interview questions were mostly standard and the case interviews were not difficult; the interviewers were great about helping me walk through them when I had challenges.

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

I had one phone interview which was about half behavioral questions, and half practical questions (what type of research have you done, what methodology did you use, what were the outcomes), and then behavioral questions such as "when is a time you made a mistake, and how did you solve it?". I was interviewing for a different position, and the interviewer asked about other interests of mine, and then suggested another position, which actually sounded more interesting to me. About 3 weeks later, they flew me to DC for the second round interviews, which consisted of a writing test and two case study interviews. The questions were very practical, and the interviewers were very friendly and approachable. There was also a small section of time at the beginning of each interview for a few more behavioral questions, which were more specific to my work-style and process.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about getting information from an interview subject who was being unhelpful?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in September 2013.

I submitted my resume through someone in the company/their internal referral system and got an email within a week requesting a phone interview. It was very friendly and asked basic questions about my education and job experience. The most curveball questions were still pretty easy, like what would I change about my college. About 2 weeks later I was asked to come in to the office to interview second round. They scheduled me for another 2 weeks later. The interview took a full day- a one on one interview for an hour, followed by a 2 on one interview for another hour, then a 1.5 hour writing test. The interviewers both asked case study questions which were difficult. They also wanted me to go into depth about prior research I had done-- an amount of depth I probably wasn't prepared for, bc they wanted very specific information about what I wrote about and my process that I couldn't remember well enough. The writing test required me to read 2 articles and write a one page synopsis and recommendation based on the material. It wasn't too hard and there was plenty of time. Add yet another 2 weeks later, and I got an email informing me I didn't get it.

Interview Questions
    • A car rental service wants to expand a taxi service into a small town. How do you evaluate this investment?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in February 2013.

I was contacted for a phone interview for the higher ed research associate position a week after being referred internally. The phone interview focused on research experience, including process, findings, and recommendations. The other questions were behavioral. One hour after the phone interview, I was asked to fly out to DC for a second round interview.

The 2nd round interview comprised a writing exam and two 2:1 interviews, each with a case study. Two of my interviewers sat through the entire interview with their arms crossed, scowling. One of the research managers rolled here eyes at one of my answers. The case questions were fair, but they seemed to be looking for a "correct" answer. The whole experience gave me an uneasy feeling, as I did not enjoy interacting with most people there. Luckily, I've received offers at other places with better pay and nicer people. Make sure you want to work here.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in February 2013.

First round: Phone interview with HR with behavioral and research-related questions.
    Second round: I was flown to the DC office for the final round of interviews. I was given a written case to do in 1.5 hours and then two-one hour long interviews with research managers, with a case in both.

Interview Questions
    • A university is transitioning business models: how does this impact its commitment to liberal arts education, interdisciplinary endeavors, etc.   Answer Question

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!