Advisory Board

Average Difficulty
22 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales and Marketing Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – I was got the phone interview through an internal referral system. The tone of the interview was stigmatizing, and there was no conversation or feedback element whatsoever. I was never able to relax and be myself to answer the questions without awkwardly overanalyzing everything before I spoke, which is what I believe led to my demise.

Interview Question – They ask about your college GPA and whether or not it was a reflection of your work ethic.   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Associate

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – I had a friend put in a referral for me and then received an email from one of the HR contacts. We had a good phone conversation and she asked about my background and how it could relate as well as told me in more detail about the company and the position. Said I would hear back about another interview within the next few weeks and got an email saying I did not make the cut. Was told prior to the interview that it is tough to make it through these interviews to get a job but good experience.

Interview Question – No crazy questions just know your resume and ask about the position and company   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – -Referred by friend for position
-Contacted by recruiter 3 weeks later
-Interviewed with recruiter 1 week later
-Heard back 2 weeks later that I was accepted for onsite interview
-Was flown down to DC 3 weeks later and was given a tour, had 2 interviews with 2 managers each, and was taken to lunch
-2 days later was asked to do another interview (was promised this would be last) over the phone
-10 days later was called and received offer

Everybody was very friendly and the recruiter was very accommodating.

Interview Question – All questions were pretty basic. Show that you have some knowledge of the company, that you are goal-oriented and driven, and that you can deal with constant rejection.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Does not seem like there is much room for negotiation.

Sales and Marketing Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – I was referred to ABC by a friend who works there and about a week after my resume was submitted, I received an email asking me to set up a phone interview. Interview was very simple - questions concentrated on personal experiences and experiences outlined in my resume. Interviewer was very nice and helpful when I had questions about ABC.

Interview Question – What would you change about your college (policy wise).   Answer Question

Interviewed at Advisory Board

Interview Details – Resume was submitted to HR by a friend, received an email about a week and a half later asking if I would be available for a phone interview and what times would best work for me. I was emailed shortly after with a date and time. The recruiter was friendly and comfortable and said I will hear back in about a week. Will hopefully be getting an in person interview soon.

Interview Question – If you could change something about your school's administration what would it be?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Advisory Board

Interview Details – applied through college career services. first round was a straight forward behavioral interview. the two women interviewing were very nice and seemed interested in getting to know you. the interview took around 30 minutes. although they were slow in getting back to me about going to a second round or not.

Interview Question – what would you change about your college experience/ advice you would give to your university?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Advisory Board in March 2014.

Interview Details – After submitting your resume, you will hear back within 1-2 weeks from someone at ABC. You will get an email that says they would like to schedule a first-round phone interview and you can give them a few available times you can talk; otherwise, I'm assuming they would send you an email saying that they are not going forward in the interview process with you at this point.

This company likes referrals, especially because the person who refers you will get $1,000 if you land the job, so if you know someone who works at ABC, they will probably be happy to submit your resume for you. Also, you can ask them questions about the company and the role you are interested in.

I submitted my resume (was told that they don't really look at cover letters, so you can skip crafting a perfect cover letter for this application!) for an Analyst position but they scheduled an interview for the Marketing Associate position instead. If you don't have a lot of professional experience, they will mainly consider you for the Marketing Associate, Member Support, or Research Associate positions.

I did the first-round phone interview and will hear back in the next week (or two) to see if they want to do a second interview with me, which would be in person, I believe. Interview questions are not too hard! I actually over-prepared and had great answers I wanted to share about various things, from why I chose my major and minor, to a specific issue I wanted to tackle, but I didn't share that information.

Interviewer asked me to "walk through my resume," and I think that was a missed opportunity for me- I briefly mentioned each part of my resume, thinking I would get to touch on things in-depth later. This is your chance to mention things that you think are really important and relevant to the job you are applying for, so share your key points and you'll be good to go! Don't stress about the first-round phone interview.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. "Walk me through your resume." Will probably be asked a question about your most recent work experience.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Advisory Board in April 2014.

Interview Details – I heard about ABC through a career database, and was able to get an employee referral. About 2 weeks after I submitted my application, I got an email requesting a phone interview. Like what a lot of people have said on here, the questions were pretty straight forward: tell me about your resume (with follow up on specific parts, so make sure you know it well), etc. I was not asked any real behavioral questions during this phone interview.

The interviewer was quite pleasant and didn't seemed scripted at all; in fact, we had a pretty organic conversation. The interview lasted about 30 minutes total. Make sure you know about specific aspects of the company - I think the interviewer was pleasantly surprised when I was able to ask detailed questions about the company at the end.

4 weeks after the phone interview, I was contacted in order to schedule an in-person interview in DC. They arranged my travel and accommodations, with reimbursement for all other costs. I was given an office tour by a current marketing associate, had 2 meetings with 4 chiefs of staff (2 per interview), then had lunch with the same associate that gave me the tour.

The in-person interviews were similar to the first round in that they focused on the resume and any relevant skills you may have for the position. They also place a lot of emphasis on making sure you know what responsibilities the position entails.

I was contacted by phone about 6 days after I left DC with an offer.

Interview Question – What other jobs have you been looking at?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I will be doing a second round interview in Washington DC.

Sales and Marketing Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – Applied via LinkedIn, after the scheduling process (about a week - 2 weeks) I had a phone interview. Talked for about 30 minutes -- the interviewer seemed much more interested in my experience at school than my actual work experience, which was a bit frustrating. The questions were mostly about why I chose my major (Psychology), some of my experiences at school, and situations that I excelled in and would've handled differently.

Interview Question – Describe a situation in which you had to improvise, how you handled it, and what was the result   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Associate

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Advisory Board in January 2014.

Interview Details – Was contacted through email to complete a more detailed application before phone interview. Phone interview seemed a bit unprofessional, she called 15 minutes after our appointment. Questions were basic- walk me through your resume, tell me an example of this or that, why Advisory Board. It felt like she wasn't listening to me and just wanted me to finish answering questions so she could be done.

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!