Advisory Board

Getting the Interview

14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview with HR - who was a nice lady. Pretty standard questions. But did not go through to the second round.

Interview Question – Basically the questions from the previous reviews.   Answer Question

Senior Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – Initially applied via a friend who used to work there and referred me. Took them quite a while to schedule my phone screening after the first contacted me back, almost three weeks and this was after nearly two months of no word from them at all. I gather that their interviewers only do interviews on Mondays and Wednesdays, both of which were bad for my schedule at the time. Standard phone interview for large corporate recruitment or for any company really. The one weird question was that they wanted to know about my research experience specifically from undergrad despite the fact that I had a master's degree and professional research experience.

I guess it went well enough for them to fly me out for an in-person. Since I only really applied because of my friend's referral and have never done any other management consulting case-based interviews, I can't really speak in depth on how it compares to other companies' interviews. It seemed much less focused on quantitative skills than most of the stuff I read online told me about management consulting interviews. I talked to two people who asked me questions about my experience and two short cases, both about boosting profits for a hospital.

They also had me take a writing test, but I think those are just a front to buy enough time to decide if they want to give you the third, tentative interview. No one ever even looked at my work and they basically just had me wait in the lobby for a bit before telling me I was done. I knew from my referral friend that if they don't give you the third interview you are basically out of the running.

It really got to me a the time because I thought it had gone well, but my friend who referred me has said that your likelihood of success can vary widely based on who you get for the case interviews. It sounds like some people give everyone the green light even if you drool on yourself and babble in tongues while other people will reject you over the smallest perceived slip-up. Basically, if you get an offer then congrats, but don't beat yourself up if they send you home.

Interview Question – The friend who My advice would be to focus on making a connection with your particular interviewer and less on what they are asking for the questions.   Answer Question

Senior Analyst

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – I got an email 2 weeks after applying through LinkedIn to set up a phone interview with an HR recruiter. The interview lasted for about 25 minutes and consisted of pretty basic questions (how did you hear about this job, what interested you, describe your research experience).

I honestly didn't think it went that well, but a week later I got an email asking to set up another phone interview with a current staff member in the department. That interview lasted for 45 minutes and included a 10 minute case study. I thought I did really well and knocked the case interview out of the park, however I got an email a week later saying that I hadn't moved forward.

I found it strange that the person who did my 2nd interview wasn't my future manager or even someone who worked in the same area as me. It felt like a random staff member who drew a short straw (the interview was in the late afternoon). In addition, it repeated a lot of questions that they asked in the first interview, which makes me wonder if they even looked at my answers to the first interview. Moreover, I wasn't asked about my past work experience at all, which was very, very strange.

I very much wanted to work at Advisory Board, but unfortunately it just didn't work out. I asked for feedback on my interviews and haven't gotten a response (it's been 2 weeks). Best of luck to anyone who interviews here.

Interview Question – Why a corporate environment over a think-tank or nonprofit environment (the job was located in DC)   Answer Question

Interviewed at Advisory Board

Interview Details – First spoke with a recruiter and she asked typical questions (Why do you want to work here, give me an example of your research experience, etc.). Then, had the typical in-person consulting interview. The first guy was nice and he did the "fit" interview. Again, nothing unexpected (Why do you want to work here, go through your resume, etc.). The second interview was more with who would be my "boss" and I did the case study with him. I was supposed to have an interview with another guy, but he "got pulled into a meeting". As others have said, this means you're out.

Interview Question – Case question: Doctors have come to you wanting to perform a new cancer treatment. What is your thought process to see if this is a worthwhile investment.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Advisory Board in June 2013.

Interview Details – Internal referral, got back quickly to schedule a first-round phone interview. Pretty standard phone interview.

Interview Question – What surprised you in your research project?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – Phone Interview discussing my background, interests, and past experiences. Focused on experiences involving research, writing, and healthcare. Friendly interview that lasted about 20 minutes. Was told I would hear in a week about next steps and possible onsite interview with writing test. Received subsequent e-mail and was not offered an in-person interview.

Interview Question – Nothing unusual - focused on my resume.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in December 2012.

Interview Details – I originally applied for Health Policy & Government Strategies Consultant (Job ID: 2012-6873), but HR determined after reviewing my resume that I would be more suitable for a Senior Analyst position. My initial phone interview was set up by someone in HR asking when I was available from a list of times/days. Everyone involved in setting up the interview was incredibly friendly and accommodating.

During my interview, the interviewer was awestruck that my undergraduate degree was not in a science/health or technology field, although my Master's is in public health. She sounded repulsed that I would even consider a humanities degree and asked what I had intended on doing with it. I told her I intended on using it as a learning experience since I knew it was so completely different from the field I intended to enter. I wanted a well-rounded academic background.

I was a little put off that neither my interviewer or the person in HR who set up my interview have since answered any of my follow-up questions. I followed-up with my initial email twice with each party and still never heard back. It is May 2013 and my interview was Dec. 2012.

Interview Question – How has your writing style changed since undergrad?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in February 2013.

Interview Details – Position was with Research and Insights.

Originally applied for another position, was contacted the same day for this one. I then had a phone interview scheduled within the week. The phone interview was experiential and only about 15 minutes long -- questions included "why did you pick your college?" and "how has your writing changed overtime?". The call was in the morning, I was contacted for a second interview by 4pm. I was then flown to DC and had an in-person interview. I met with one individual for an experential, hour-long interview...lots of questions based on fit. My second interview was a case interview, which I bombed. I was told before I did the writing test that the person I was supposed to meet with in the afternoon "was sick". I heard another candidate told that the person was "in a meeting". I completed the hour and a half writing test and kind of just wandered out. Needless to say, two weeks later I got an email saying that I wasn't selected.

Interview Question – Case Interview generally - I am a law student and had no previous exposure.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – Applied via a referral from a former employee. I was contacted for a phone interview. That was almost two months after I initially applied, but it was over the holiday season so I think they weren't being as proactive with hiring. After my phone interview, I was invited out to an in-person. My contact was a little slow scheduling the interview, but they paid my travel costs. The in-person interview consisted of two case-style interviews and a writing test. I was also scheduled for a tentative third interview but I didn't get that far. My friend who referred me said that only candidates who they like after the first two interviews get a third interview.

Interview Question – It was a pretty standard consulting style case. One was about developing a hand-washing compliance program and the other was about hospital profitability. I think my big problem was that I choked a bit in explaining my research experience. I had not done a consulting style interview or have done any since, but from what I understand of most management consulting cases it was probably less quantitative than other companies. I think most of it comes down to their personal impressions as much as the answer. My friend said that it can depend a lot on who you get as an interviewer. Some let everyone in and some are very picky.   View Answer

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Advisory Board in June 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted via email the afternoon of submitting my application in the morning, and the phone interview was set up for 5 days later. Phone interview itself was standard, and I found that the questions were very well anticipated by others posting on this site. On the phone, they told me that they would be in touch in a week or two regardless of their decision. When I did not hear from them after two weeks, I emailed the recruitment assistant who had initially contacted me. She responded a few days later indicating that the group had needed to take time to figure out budget/staffing needs and that they had not made decisions yet. It is still within a week of this conversation, so it's possible that further interviews will still happen.

Interview Question – Why did you pick the college you did?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Advisory Board

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Advisory Board Senior Analyst interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by Advisory Board employees and interview candidates.