Advisory Board Senior Analyst Interview Questions

Updated May 1, 2015

2.8

Senior Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in May 2015.

Interview

Just got a phone interview which lasted 20+ minutes, and is waiting for next steps. The interviewer was quite friendly. She started with an introduction of her background, and proceeded to the interview questions, and then answered my questions. Nothing unexpected happened during the process as I prepared carefully for this interview. My advise is that be sure to prepare all the questions listed on Glassdoor for this company, and to talk as much as possible and as clearly as possible for each question.

Interview Questions

• How did you learn about this company and this position?   Answer Question
  • What is your strength as a writer?   Answer Question
  • Tell me more about your education background and some meaningful experiences   Answer Question
  • Walk me through a research project that you worked on, including methodology, major findings, etc.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Advisory Board

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

I had one phone interview with a recruiter. I was asked very basic questions about my resume, research experience, and education. The recruiter was definitely reading from a script, which made it a little awkward (cheapened the interview - I haven't had an interview like that in a long time). Despite feeling positive each of my answers and my interview overall, I got a rejection email a week later.

Senior Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Advisory Board in October 2014.

Interview

First round - phone interview. Basic questions regarding background and interests. Overall, a very easy first round interview with a very pleasant interviewer. Waiting to hear back about second round. Second round will involve case questions with a current researcher at ABC and a writing sample. Will ask if willing to relocate and desired salary.

Interview Questions

• How has your writing grown? What is your expected salary?   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Interview

Great interview experience. The recruiters I spoke with over the phone and via email were very professional. After the interview I was contacted in a timely manner to inform me of their decision.

Senior Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Advisory Board in March 2014.

Interview

HR sent an email to set-up a phone interview. Recruiter called a week later. Standard interview questions. Obvious that recruiter was reading off a script- not like a conversation at all. Started off asking how I heard about the company and why I chose to apply for the position. Next she asked me how my writing style changed over the years, to walk her through my resume, and to describe a research project I had been involved with.

Senior Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview

Initial phone interview with HR - who was a nice lady. Pretty standard questions. But did not go through to the second round.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in December 2013.

Interview

Overall, pretty straight forward. Be ready to speak about your experience, and answer some behavioral questions. You might get some questions about your current role, college experience, how you handle deadlines, stress, attention to detail, reason for wanting to work there, reasons for wanting to leave, excel skills, etc. Nothing to worry about overall, just be prepared and maybe take an excel review course or something before the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Expect an excel assessment under somewhat stressful timed conditions.   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview

Initially applied via a friend who used to work there and referred me. Took them quite a while to schedule my phone screening after the first contacted me back, almost three weeks and this was after nearly two months of no word from them at all. I gather that their interviewers only do interviews on Mondays and Wednesdays, both of which were bad for my schedule at the time. Standard phone interview for large corporate recruitment or for any company really. The one weird question was that they wanted to know about my research experience specifically from undergrad despite the fact that I had a master's degree and professional research experience.

I guess it went well enough for them to fly me out for an in-person. Since I only really applied because of my friend's referral and have never done any other management consulting case-based interviews, I can't really speak in depth on how it compares to other companies' interviews. It seemed much less focused on quantitative skills than most of the stuff I read online told me about management consulting interviews. I talked to two people who asked me questions about my experience and two short cases, both about boosting profits for a hospital.

They also had me take a writing test, but I think those are just a front to buy enough time to decide if they want to give you the third, tentative interview. No one ever even looked at my work and they basically just had me wait in the lobby for a bit before telling me I was done. I knew from my referral friend that if they don't give you the third interview you are basically out of the running.

It really got to me a the time because I thought it had gone well, but my friend who referred me has said that your likelihood of success can vary widely based on who you get for the case interviews. It sounds like some people give everyone the green light even if you drool on yourself and babble in tongues while other people will reject you over the smallest perceived slip-up. Basically, if you get an offer then congrats, but don't beat yourself up if they send you home.

Interview Questions

• The friend who My advice would be to focus on making a connection with your particular interviewer and less on what they are asking for the questions.   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview

I got an email 2 weeks after applying through LinkedIn to set up a phone interview with an HR recruiter. The interview lasted for about 25 minutes and consisted of pretty basic questions (how did you hear about this job, what interested you, describe your research experience).

I honestly didn't think it went that well, but a week later I got an email asking to set up another phone interview with a current staff member in the department. That interview lasted for 45 minutes and included a 10 minute case study. I thought I did really well and knocked the case interview out of the park, however I got an email a week later saying that I hadn't moved forward.

I found it strange that the person who did my 2nd interview wasn't my future manager or even someone who worked in the same area as me. It felt like a random staff member who drew a short straw (the interview was in the late afternoon). In addition, it repeated a lot of questions that they asked in the first interview, which makes me wonder if they even looked at my answers to the first interview. Moreover, I wasn't asked about my past work experience at all, which was very, very strange.

I very much wanted to work at Advisory Board, but unfortunately it just didn't work out. I asked for feedback on my interviews and haven't gotten a response (it's been 2 weeks). Best of luck to anyone who interviews here.

Interview Questions

• Why a corporate environment over a think-tank or nonprofit environment (the job was located in DC)   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Interview

First spoke with a recruiter and she asked typical questions (Why do you want to work here, give me an example of your research experience, etc.). Then, had the typical in-person consulting interview. The first guy was nice and he did the "fit" interview. Again, nothing unexpected (Why do you want to work here, go through your resume, etc.). The second interview was more with who would be my "boss" and I did the case study with him. I was supposed to have an interview with another guy, but he "got pulled into a meeting". As others have said, this means you're out.

Interview Questions

• Case question: Doctors have come to you wanting to perform a new cancer treatment. What is your thought process to see if this is a worthwhile investment.   Answer Question