Advisory Board

3.2

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in DC Ranch, AZ
Anonymous Interview Candidate in DC Ranch, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in July 2014.

HR phone screen. Technical phone interview with 2 people. Technical on-site for 4 hours meeting with 8-9 people in 4-5 sessions.

Honestly, I thought the interview process was easy. The on-site was a waste of everyone's time because the questions were too basic. SQL queries? That's all that's required? Come on! Ask something that will allow the candidate to shine and show exactly how one would accomplish one's technical duties.

In the end, I literally heard nothing back. I emailed HR a few times, but I received neither a rejection nor an offer. By default, I was rejected. I had hoped they would be more professional.

Interview Questions
  • Some simple SQL. I don't know. Outer join two simple tables.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Advisory Board

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Advisory Board in September 2012.

A HR phone screen then a technical phone screen

Interview Questions
    • Explain the difference between an abstract class and an interface   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Advisory Board in March 2012.

a HR scheduled a phone interview one week after I applied online. No behavioral question. Just how many years of experience for each of skills listed on the job description. Then 1 week later, got a technical phone interview. I thought I did well over the phone but got an 'unfortunate' email.

Interview Questions
    • whats' the template in c++,object,class.   View Answer
    • in php, how to get variable value from url   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in March 2011.

The process started with a phone call from a recruiter. The recruiter arranged for a second phone interview with a HR Manager a few days later. After speaking with the HR Manager the manager replied promptly and set up a technical phone interview the following week. The next week I had the technical phone screen which I was confident I did well. A couple of weeks later(during which I did not hear anything from them) the recruiter replied saying they wanted to arrange a second technical phone interview with one of their senior employees. However on the day of the phone interview I ended up getting a phone call from a different person and the correct person called up while my phone interview was in progress. Almost two weeks later I received an email saying I was not offered the position.

The whole process was slow and I felt the recruiter was extremely slow in replying to emails or phone calls.

Interview Questions
    • Object Oriented Programming concepts, method overloading, overriding,
      Sql joins, MVC pattern, different design patterns, etc.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

One of my friend attended. 5 round interview. Please refer with basics and your project. My friend was offered 7.5 L package. He is in BI domain, placed in a dev project.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in February 2014.

Had total of 5 rounds - 4 technical and 1 HR
    Covered questions from almost all topics including Data Structures, Algorithms, Big O Analysis, Java, Design Patterns, SQL queries and so on (write code). The panel does test your logical and analytic skills.

Interview Questions
    • Given a sorted array of numbers. Construct a balanced binary tree with the numbers in the Array as keys.   Answer Question
    They pay really well and offered more than what I asked for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied in-person – interviewed at Advisory Board in December 2013.

I have a concern with this process; When i had the telephonic conversation with hr, I clearly mentioned that I am not a Database expert. Even after mentioning that, interview was completely in database and none of the other areas were covered. I guess interviewer knows only db, and he was just focusing on how to optimize queries which i feel is not the right question non db expert...

I can switch between programming languages and even work with sql in future, but for interview sake, to test my logic skills, problems should have been in languages which is already in my Resume, so that I’ll be even more comfortable.

At least for others, please take care of this concern, otherwise its a complete waste of time for me and for your technical panel.

Making me to travel during weekday office hours to ask questions which is not in my Resume sounds bad to me; Please plan well by organizing a telephonic discussion with technical panel before to understand the requirement correctly; Kindly don't do this for other candidates at least.

Interview Questions
    • questions from skills not mentioned in my resume - cant say it as tough; its weird and interview was not in professional way...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in March 2012.

Round 1
    • Face to Face Interview
    1. Technical Background
    2. Reason for change
    3. Communication
    4. Adaptability to ABCO Work Environment & Culture
    [Willingness to work in product based company
    Vision about the individual in next n years
    Involvement in Product
    Willingness to take responsibility]
    5. Basic level questions in Programming language (C#) and concepts.
    6. Justify the logic written in problem solving round
    Examples
    1. What is an abstract class?
    2. Explain Interface.
    3. Explain some of the known design patterns, such as Singleton.
    4. Explain Big-O-notation.
    5. Difference between Structural Programming and Object Oriented Programming.
    6. Difference between ASP.Net Web Forms and MVC.
    7. Explain the process of unit testing you practice, along with the tools, if you use any.
    8. Most of the other questions are based on Resume content & Projects.
    9. Most of the questions are mainly focused on OOPs concepts.
    10. Given a chance to explain the logic adopted to solve the written test problem.

Round 2
    Process
    • Telephonic Discussion, from Chennai Office.
    Expectations
    1. Intermediate level technical questions.
    2. Focused mainly on the area in which the candidate is strong in.
    1. Object Oriented Programming Concepts
    2. Difference between Abstract Class and Interfaces
    3. Practical application of abstract class and interfaces
    4. SQL Server DML based questions
    5. Difference between SQL Joins

Interview Questions
    • Round 3
      Process
      • Telephonic Discussion, from Washington DC.
      Expectations
      1. Advanced level technical questions.
      2. Situation based questions.
      3. Interest and Enthusiasm towards technical updates.
      4. Analytical & Reasoning skills.
      5. The interviewer may provide a URI, where the candidate may type code snippets and the interviewer can review.
      Examples
      1. Language Integrated Query.
      2. Current technologies Microsoft is working on (e.g. Windows 8 & Windows Phone 7).
      3. Write a function that accepts an integer and returns the number of 1’s after converting it to its corresponding binary format.
      e.g. 5 returns 2, since 5 => 101, which contains two 1’s
      4. What are the ways that you can adopt to optimize the code that you have just written?
      5. Some SQL Queries, DML based, focused on Joins.

Round 4
      Process
      • Telephonic Discussion, from Washington DC.
      Expectations
      1. Very much similar to the 3rd round, except that the thinking skills are measured more than the technical skills.
      1. Big-O-Notation.
      2. Write a function that returns a Boolean, and accepts
      a. An array of integer
      b. An integer, say ‘x’
      If any of the two numbers in the array add to make ‘x’, return true.
      Return false, if none of the combination in the array satisfies the condition.
      3. Optimizing the code for best performance, centered on Big-O-Notation.
      4. Consider an SQL Table say Item, containing 2 fields
      a. Product
      b. Category
      And the table is populated with some sample data, say
      Product Category
      Apple Fruit
      Broccoli Vegetable
      Orange Fruit
      Milk Diary
      Write an SQL query that returns the Category, which has the maximum existence.
      In this case, it should return Fruit, since it has maximum occurrence – twice.

View Answer
    They just asked for my expected CTC & payed more than requested

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Advisory Board in February 2012.

Contacted by HR through my profile on the job search sites.
    Was informed four/five levels of interview in total.
    Interviewers and the HR were extremely helpful and prompt in timings.
    I was interviewed for a .Net developer position.
    Questions were mainly from c# Object Oriented programming, basics of ASP.NET, how a browser works, some algorithmic problems.
    Could not clear all the interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are in general, highly technical including some algorithmic problems related to strings   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in October 2010.

The interview process had 4 technical rounds, and couple of HR rounds.

I was contacted by the company, and had a basic HR discussion. Then, as i was in a different city, I was given a time for 1st round technical interview over telephone.
    -> This round has all the questions from OOP concenpts, .net, C#, sql and some logical questions ranging from basic to difficult.

Then I got another slot for another technical interview with a senior manager, telephonic
    -> In this round, I was asked about my current project, other work experience, some fundamental technical questions, some managerial and team handling questions.

The 3rd round was with a technical director from US
    -> Questions were mainly problem solving, analytic capabilities, high level designing, and importantly technology awareness (like what is happening all over the technical world)

The 4th round was with Mr CTO, from US
    -> Again high level problem solving and design problems. Aim was not to see if I knew the answer, but to see how I analyze a problem and approach solutions

Interview Questions
    • You can always expect question on how some well known products work like facebook, amazon, gmail etc   View Answer
    Was easy, they happily agreed to what I had asked.