Advisory Board Syndicated Research Analyst Interview Questions

3.1

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

Initially emailed with an HR assistant and had a brief phone interview with her. I was invited to do an in person interview which lasted from 9am-3pm. During this time, I provided a writing sample and spoke with 2 project managers. Each one spent about 30 minutes on a behavioral interview with fairly straightforward questions. There was also a case interview which asked you to explain how you would conduct research to answer a specific question for a company.

Interview Questions
  • The case interview was the most difficult part. I didn't get a lot of feedback from my interviewer, so I never knew if I was really on the right track.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Advisory Board

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in February 2011.

Applied online. Contacted via email, phone interview (basic questions, tell me about yourself, why Advisory Board, etc). Passed on to second round, flew to DC (they paid) for two in person interviews and a writing sample. First interview was some fit, and a basic case. Second was fit.

Interview Questions
    • Why Advisory Board?   Answer Question
    • Why did you pick your college/major?   Answer Question
    • Case question: I am the director of a Cardiovascular department at a local hospital, our patient volumes are down, why? What should we do about it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in December 2010.

Contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview first where they asked me a lot of questions about my background and skills.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took a dayinterviewed at Advisory Board in December 2010.

Phone interview, then flown to DC for in-person interviews. Very friendly, interesting cases. Clearly a young office culture.

Interview Questions
    • The Advisory Board does a lot of behind-the-scenes work. If you are interested in healthcare, why do you want to work here, rather than as a doctor, policy maker, etc?   Answer Question
    Very flexible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in October 2009.

First round phone interview was only experience/fit-based and pretty straightforward. Second round in-person interview was in the D.C. office. It consisted of three 1:1 interviews with senior management, including 1 qualitative case study (not too hard), and a 1.5 hr writing test. Analysts took interviewers out to lunch afterwards. Full day affair lasting from 9am -3:30pm.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself, why do you want to work here, etc.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Advisory Board in October 2009.

I participated in a half hour on campus first round interview. My interviewer was a new employee that had only been there for a year. She asked typical interview questions and also specifically asked about my experience with writing courses which I don't really have since I'm an engineer. It sounds like an interesting company but it's more of a "research at your desk" job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in December 2008.

First round interview was 30 minute resume walk through with a representative from HR, pretty basic questions.
    Second round interview consisted of a short writing test, and several 1 hour interviews with senior leadership, all with case question components.
    Everybody seemed friendly and intelligent. Office isn't very fancy; lots of cubicles.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation with overall salary

Syndicated Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in April 2011.

Process moved very quickly. Was contacted for a phone interview about a week after applying online. Phone interview was strictly fit--with a career management representatives and lasted 20-30 minutes. Questions such as "why ABC?" as well as basic questions about resume, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

Was told same day that I would be flown out to the DC office. Arranged an in-person interview for the following week. They paid for hotel and airfare. In-person interview consisted of a writing test and three one-and-one's. Two were simple case interviews and one was strictly fit.

Everyone was extremely friendly and welcoming. Company is big on culture.

Syndicated Research Analyst Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in August 2010.

Began with an initial phone screen. a few weeks later I was scheduled for an in person interview. The process was very smooth and well executed. I got a nice room at the Fairmont, next door hotel. One trick: most candidates are scheduled for two confirmed interviews and one tentative. if the tentative interview gets cancelled, then this means that you will most likely not get an offer. If it takes place, this means that they like you.

in general, they are looking for someone who can think quickly and seems smart and like a sharp shooter in the interview. think of a date who lives intellectual banter, this is the dynamic they are looking for in the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What caused homicide rates in the 90s to drop?   View Answer
    yes, it was possible to negotiate, but not on base salary, only on the annual bonus amount. however, the likelihood that you will ever get the full bonus that you negotiated any given year is close to zero. It is possible to get a signing bonus, but this will not be given in the initial offer, you will have to turn them down at first and push a little for higher pay. as with most places, it is easier to get more if you have another offer in hand.

Syndicated Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Advisory Board in November 2009.

The first round was a 30 minute behavioral interview with basic questions like the following:

- Can you tell me a bit about yourself?
    - Why Advisory Board?
    - Can you walk me through your resume?
    - Why did you choose your college major?
    - How has your college experience influenced your writing ability?
    - Do you have any questions for me?

At the end, I was told I would be contacted in one or two weeks. While the interview went more or less smoothly, it wasn't brilliant by any means given my relative lack of experience in healthcare - I found myself framing tangential experiences in ways potentially valuable to the firm, but I ended up never hearing back about a second round.