Advisory Board

2.8

274 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Research and Insights Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at Advisory Board.

I submitted my application online and was contacted within a week. Following a phone interview that lasted approximately 30 minutes, I was asked to fly to their offices in Washington, D.C. It was easy to coordinate that process and the recruiters at ABC were helpful throughout.

In D.C., I had two interviews, both with personal and case based questions. Because one interviewer was sick that day, two days later, I had a final phone interview of a similar vein, in which there was a case interview question and a few questions about my interest in ABC and general interest in consulting.

Interview Questions
    • The case questions were not extremely hard, they mostly tested your logical processes and sought to see if you asked the important questions. I don't think there were any questions that were particularly hard, but they did cover a range of personal and work experience as well as interest in consulting and healthcare. They are really interested in your writing abilities and the process by which you ask research questions and produce results from that research.   Answer Question

Health Care Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Advisory Board.

I applied online and the response was uber quick (less than a week). We set up a behavioral interview with basic questions of why health care consulting, walking the recruiter through my CV, no real difficult questions. Positive feedback, still waiting to hear back if I get into round 2

Interview Questions
    • I'm predicting round 3 with cases studies will be difficult.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in November 2014.

Applied through the corporate website. I was contacted within a week, and we set up a first-round phone interview. It was a brief conversation about my experiences, and we basically went over the resume. Then, I got invited to the second-round at the headquarters. It consisted of two case interviews and one writing test. The case interviews are very simple. The two senior consultants I talked to were both late to the interviews, and they didn't seem interested in the interview or myself. HR just schedules these interviews randomly and puts them in their calendars, so they are literally pulled out randomly. The writing test is very ambiguous; it's also case-style, so I had no idea if I was doing it correctly. They cancelled my last interview with a manager. They told me two weeks later that I was not given the position. They don't respond to emails, and there don't give feedback. There is no one recruiter in the process, it's random people just emailing you generic emails. They will also take forever to reimburse me in my travels.

Interview Questions
    • Which state's model of Medicaid reimbursement is the most interesting to you?   Answer Question

Junior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Advisory Board in November 2014.

First round phone interview, interviewer was very nice. very interested in my experience with excel and why I was interested in working for the company. Also interested in class work I had completed during my education that would further qualify me for the position

Interview Questions
    • What was a difficult experience I had with a previous employer and how did I deal with that situation   View Answer

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Applied online, then had a phone interview which was all behavioral. Was invited to their DC office for further interviewing. Three sessions of cases and behavioral. They really want someone who is specifically interested in health and medicine.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to elaborate on past research experience and why I was interested specifically in the advisory board.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in October 2014.

I applied in mid-October and received an offer to schedule a phone interview for the following week. The interviewer asked basic questions, such as "How did you end up choosing your school/major?", "Walk me through a research project you've done", "How have your writing skills developed over time?", and things of that nature. Overall I didn't think the interview went too bad. A friend of mine also put in a referral for me.

I was contacted a week later and was told that they were moving ahead with other candidates.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in October 2014.

Phone interview--contacted by email. Be able to explain a time you went through a research process and why you're interested in the company. Tell them why you enjoy research and why this particular position excites you or is a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • Simple process with basic questions to get to know you.   Answer Question

Dedicated Advisor Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in October 2014.

I applied for the Dedicated Advisor Role. I was contacted the following day for an phone-interview with a recruiter. The recruiter asked mainly behavioral questions (How do you handle multiple priorities? / How do you give negative criticism to a hospital CEO?) Also, be prepared to discuss your experience manipulating data and giving presentations. It was relatively easy.

The next day, I was contacted for a in-person second round interview. To prepare for this interview, I was tasked to analyze a excel data sheet and create a powerpoint presentation of the final results. On top of my current 40 hr work week, I had to manipulate the data.. create the slides... and practice the presentation. It took a long time - make sure you start early!

On the day of the interview, I met with three Directors for 30 minute time slots. My three interviewers were hurried and inattentive... they seemed to be rushing to get back to other work. One interviewer complained about the demands of motherhood and a full-time job... Also, I did not formally present my slides. We sat down with the printed slides and talked through them. The interviewer also rushed me through the slides. Presenting is a big part of the role and I was upset that I wasn't able to showcase my presentation skills. I didn't connect well with the interviewers. Despite the perks (travel, seamless food, swanky office, free soda, prestige of the company), I felt disillusioned with the company and really turned off by my interviewers. Its important that candidates are sold on the job and the company. After three weeks of no response, I emailed the recruiter and a few hours later, I received a rejection email.

There were some highlights to the interview process. The recruiter was great - s/he was responsive (emailed me within 24 hours), had lots of positive energy, and gave me guidance every step of the way. Also, ABC paid for transportation (round trip flight), ground transportation, a luxury hotel and all food expenses. I just think that interviewers need to be better selected.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewers asked many behavioral question and a case question - The average length of stay in your hospital is longer in comparison to other hospitals... how do you solve this problem? It wasn't a typical business style case question... the interviewers are just looking for your thought processes and brainstorming patterns.   Answer Question

DevelopmentEnterprise Technologies Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in September 2014.

The first interview was phone call. It took 10 mins to talk about my background. Also they asked about my GPA, why you want to work at ABC. They let you to ask questions. I think that I did great company's research and they seems like it.

Software Architect/Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

The process was fine and was a good experience. I was contacted by a recruiting firm which finds candidates for them.
    I met personally with a couple of their managers in the recruiters office. This is the first round of interview. It went well. They asked about how I deal with scenarios in my current job and discussed what my role is in my job. Very few technical questions.
    Second round was at their office. 8 people in total did the interview in 5 phases.

Phase 1 - Met the same manager that I met in my earlier interview. He just explained how the interview process is going to go.

Phase 2 - 2 of their senior developers. Mostly technical. They gave me a spec that's 2 pages long and asked me to design the system. This was after about 30 mins of talking about various technical details of what I do at my current job and what frameworks we use etc. I was initially surprised to look at the 2 page document and I guess I might have been carried away by some details in the document rather than focusing on the big picture and their intent. We went through how some potential design ideas before running out of time.

Phase 3 - One senior architect and one project manager. Project manager was mostly silent for the whole process. The architect just came and gave me a problem and asked me to come up with an algorithm to solve the problem. I did not do well here. I wasn't expecting this type of question. So, I took too long to answer this. I eventually answered bu I felt like it took too long.

Phase 4 - Direct manager. She just kept asking some standard questions like what inspired you? What are your limitations? etc and kept noting down my answers without any feedback. Kind of hard to judge what she was thinking.

Phase 5 - 2 program managers from Chicago office did a Skype interview. I was exhausted by now. But, I think I did pretty well there too.

Overall I think I was kind of unprepared for this interview. I relied too much on my current skills at my job and did not brush up much related to basic Computer science concepts.