Advisory Board

2.8

269 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Advisory Board.

Submitted application online and had a standard HR phone interview 2 weeks later reviewing resume/company in general. Two weeks after the phone interviewed, received an offer to interview in person. Paid own travel out to DC to meet with marketing coordinators and team. Questions were mostly behavioral/right fit for company. Received job offer a week later.

Interview Questions
    • They start every question with "I'd love to know.." so be have examples of different experiences/reasons why. What motivates you?   Answer Question

Very low pay

Coordinator, Research and Insights Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in July 2014.

I applied online sometime around mid-June 2014, and received an email beginning of July, offering me a phone interview. We had the phone interview about ten days later, asking basic things like "tell me about yourself," "Why the Advisory Board Company?" "How do you stay organized?" and "What do you think your responsibilities are in this role?" About a week after the phone interview, I was offered an in-person interview. I commuted to DC and had three half-hour interviews with people in multiple divisions, as they decided to interview me for multiple spots. Some interviews were with just one person, some were with two. They asked some basic questions to figure out how I work as a worker, and focused more on myself and how I think than my resume. For example, they ask things like "What motivates you?" "Tell me about a time you failed.", etc. Everyone who works there is extremely personable, passionate, and very smart, and from talking with them, you can tell they love their jobs. At the end of each interview, they offer time to ask them questions as well. I really hit it off with some of the interviewers and they told me I would hear by the end of the following week. Less than a day later, they offered me the job!

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at Advisory Board in July 2014.

set up an interview quickly after I applied, interviewer seemed disinterested and vague about what job actually entailed. Questions were pretty standard, a couple that were more difficult to answer. Seemed like they were just trying to get people to fill the position for a year or two, wasn't really what I was interested in.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you didn't produce work up to a certain standard and what you did to remedy that problem   Answer Question

Staff Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in July 2014.

Phone interview with a recruiter who asked basic resume question and explained more about the position I had applied for, as well as other positions I may be interested. Followed by an in-person interview with different members of the different teams

Interview Questions
    • What is a common misconception that people have about you?   Answer Question

Account Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Advisory Board.

initial phone interview only. 20-30 minutes with HR person. Was asked to go over resume and talk about my interests and career goals. She said the next step was for her to meet with the other HR people, discuss each candidate's interview and consider them for any open position that they qualify for.

Interview Questions
    • typical interview questions- what are your career goals, strengths & weaknesses, etc.   Answer Question

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Advisory Board.

Applied online and received an email a couple of weeks later to schedule an initial screening phone interview (walk me through your resume/ tell me about yourself etc). Scheduled for a second phone interview then flown in for super day in DC.

Interview Questions
    • Basic tell me about yourself, why Advisory Board, why this position?   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Advisory Board.

-Referred by friend for position
    -Contacted by recruiter 3 weeks later
    -Interviewed with recruiter 1 week later
    -Heard back 2 weeks later that I was accepted for onsite interview
    -Was flown down to DC 3 weeks later and was given a tour, had 2 interviews with 2 managers each, and was taken to lunch
    -2 days later was asked to do another interview (was promised this would be last) over the phone
    -10 days later was called and received offer

Everybody was very friendly and the recruiter was very accommodating.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were pretty basic. Show that you have some knowledge of the company, that you are goal-oriented and driven, and that you can deal with constant rejection.   Answer Question
    Does not seem like there is much room for negotiation.

Health Care Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in June 2014.

Applied through the company's online portal and also had an employee referral. After I submitted my application, I was contacted to set up a first round phone interview. The phone interview was pretty standard. The recruiter requested that I navigate through my resume and explain my experiences. I was then asked a few more questions, ex. Why do you want to work for the Advisory Board Company? How would you deal with a client that was not open to suggestions?

At the end of the interview, the recruiter answered questions I had about the role and the company and gave me an email address to follow up with additional questions I may have. I was told that the company would be in touch within 2 weeks to inform me if I had moved on to the next round or not. After the interview, I followed up with a thank you note to the recruiter, highlighted key points we spoke upon in the interview, and reiterated my interest in the company and position. After the 2 weeks had passed, and I sent an additional follow up email, I never heard anything regarding my standing for the position. It would have been courteous to receive an official update from the company stating that I was no longer in the running for the position, rather than being left no response.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Advisory Board.

I got a call for the interview of a business analyst position after applying via LinkedIn. Fairly simple interview strictly behavioural. It was hard to understand what they expected out of a candidate as the position seemed rather vague. Overall the interview was quite easy and stuck to situation questions.

Interview Questions
    • Many questions were being repeated, the interviewer kept asking certain facts on my resume which was a little confusing. As far as technical skills were concerned, they did not mention what was required to be a good fit for the position.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Advisory Board in May 2014.

I would describe the recruiting process as disappointing. The ABC has a culture better suited to recent graduates who do not have any baseline for what constitutes a respectful interview experience. As a seasoned, mid-career professional, red flags were flying from the start.

First, my recruiting contact was disorganized. E-mail communications had mismatched dates / days, and I had to double-check her work for accuracy – repeatedly.

Furthermore, I found the in-person office visit poorly organized and disrespectful of my time. Scheduled one hour interviews were truncated to 30 minutes (they ran out of questions), and there were gaps in the schedule longer than 3 hours. I literally had to sit on a couch and wait for hours between interviews. No one from HR explained the situation. Not even one senior person stepped forward to appologize. The receptionist was my primary point of contact that day. I had a fun morning / afternoon sitting next to 22 year-old kids interviewing for their first job out of college (one who just graduated from my alma mater!).

Finally, I found the interviews themselves lackluster. The questions were random, poorly thought, and lacked a cohesive thread. The case study was simple for anyone who reads a newspaper and has a basic knowledge of health care.

Frankly, ABC staffers gave the impression they are too self-absorbed in their own day-to-day minutia to provide a meaningful interview experience. I am certain an ABC executive reading this would state I did not have the right ‘independent’ or ‘flexible spirit.’ Whatever – they did not put their best foot forward. If a place can't show their best side during an interview, what will happen when you need management support for a critical business issue? I provided this feedback after the interview day knowing it would kill the job opportunity, as I could not fathom working for this company.

Interview Questions
    • Senior Director: "Are you afraid of coming on board to that position knowing all the trouble they are having in that unit?"   View Answer