Advisory Board Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Aug 31, 2015

2.8

Consultant (Associate Level) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

I've applied to several positions with Advisory Board Company the last few years, but this was the first position I actually heard back about. First, a coordinator in HR reached out to see if I was interested in scheduling a phone interview. I replied and heard nothing for three days, so sent a follow up email. If this happens to you, definitely reach out again to reiterate your interest. I think they deal with such a big number of candidates for various roles that it is sometimes easy for your email to sink to the bottom of their inbox. I heard back pretty quickly and had a phone interview set with another member of HR for the following week. The phone interview was a pretty standard resume screening. Do some research on the company beforehand and know your resume. I think it really helps to talk about your ability to upward manage and deal with a variety of personalities, interest in serving their members beyond their expectations, and interest in the team environment. The HR representative I spoke with informed me at the end of our conversation she would like to invite me down to D.C. My in-person interview was scheduled within two weeks or so after my phone interview. Advisory paid for my flights and overnight stay at a hotel next door. I had two interviews in the afternoon and each lasted for about an hour. Each interviewer was prompt, polite and happy to answer all my questions. One case study question.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about filling an arena with inflated basketballs?   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

I had one phone interview with a recruiter. I was asked very basic questions about my resume, research experience, and education. The recruiter was definitely reading from a script, which made it a little awkward (cheapened the interview - I haven't had an interview like that in a long time). Despite feeling positive each of my answers and my interview overall, I got a rejection email a week later.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

It was a phone interview with a woman from HR. The interview itself was easy enough and the woman was polite. She asked me why I chose to go to the university I did instead of somewhere else. I went to an accredited state university, and so did she, but her school is considered better than mine though. Don't bother applying here unless you have a rich family that could afford to send you to an upscale university. Oh, and to top things off, the rejection email they sent me had a noticeable spelling error in it.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

Brief phone call. It was quite difficult to hear the recruiters questions because she was whispering at her desk. I didn't like the fact that I had to keep requesting her to repeat the question, bc it threw me off from answering the question correctly. The questions were not difficult; 20 minute conversation. She was willing to provide a lot of information about the role and the steps taken after the phone screening. Response was given 2.5 weeks later.

Senior Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process was pretty standard. Had a 30 minute phone interview with HR, where mostly behavioral questions were asked. I was then scheduled for a second phone interview with a practice manager and this was more behavioral questions as well as a bit about my research history and why I wanted to work at ABC. After the phone call I had an hour to complete a writing assignment, which was kind of like a case study. I was then scheduled for an office visit where I had three interviews, two with practice managers and one with he managing director. In total I had about 4 case interviews, all relatively challenging but they did give great guidance throughout the course of the interview. I didn't get the job though so I think I didn't do well in the cases. But it was a good experience and great practice. This was my first ever consulting interview.

Interview Questions

• 1. I have two jars, one with red marbles and the other with blue marbles. How do I ensure that my first and only pick of a marble is going to be blue? 2. I want to open a coffee shop in the building. What factors do I need to take into account in making my decision? 3. How do we estimate the number of mammograms that will be done int he US between 2015 and 2020? 4. Cleveland Orchestra is facing a profit decline. Go through all the factors you would need to take into account in determining what is driving this decline.   Answer Question

Research and Insights Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

I submitted my application online and was contacted within a week. Following a phone interview that lasted approximately 30 minutes, I was asked to fly to their offices in Washington, D.C. It was easy to coordinate that process and the recruiters at ABC were helpful throughout. In D.C., I had two interviews, both with personal and case based questions. Because one interviewer was sick that day, two days later, I had a final phone interview of a similar vein, in which there was a case interview question and a few questions about my interest in ABC and general interest in consulting.

Interview Questions

• The case questions were not extremely hard, they mostly tested your logical processes and sought to see if you asked the important questions. I don't think there were any questions that were particularly hard, but they did cover a range of personal and work experience as well as interest in consulting and healthcare. They are really interested in your writing abilities and the process by which you ask research questions and produce results from that research.   Answer Question

Digital Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in November 2014.

Interview

I was referred through a friend which helped tremendously. It seems that the recruiting department is not very organized and without an internal push, it would have taken forever. The process took 3+ months of phone calls, many last minute cancellations and then finally an in person interview. I met with 5 different people on interview day but when I got there they shuffled me around throughout the building because someone forgot to reserve a room.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in healthcare? Why here instead of a digital agency? Mostly walked through my resume and asked client scenarios.   Answer Question

Junior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in November 2014.

Interview

First round phone interview, interviewer was very nice. very interested in my experience with excel and why I was interested in working for the company. Also interested in class work I had completed during my education that would further qualify me for the position

Interview Questions

• What was a difficult experience I had with a previous employer and how did I deal with that situation   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Advisory Board (Washington, DC) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied through the corporate website. I was contacted within a week, and we set up a first-round phone interview. It was a brief conversation about my experiences, and we basically went over the resume. Then, I got invited to the second-round at the headquarters. It consisted of two case interviews and one writing test. The case interviews are very simple. The two senior consultants I talked to were both late to the interviews, and they didn't seem interested in the interview or myself. HR just schedules these interviews randomly and puts them in their calendars, so they are literally pulled out randomly. The writing test is very ambiguous; it's also case-style, so I had no idea if I was doing it correctly. They cancelled my last interview with a manager. They told me two weeks later that I was not given the position. They don't respond to emails, and there don't give feedback. There is no one recruiter in the process, it's random people just emailing you generic emails. They will also take forever to reimburse me in my travels.

Interview Questions

• Which state's model of Medicaid reimbursement is the most interesting to you?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Interview

Applied online, then had a phone interview which was all behavioral. Was invited to their DC office for further interviewing. Three sessions of cases and behavioral. They really want someone who is specifically interested in health and medicine.

Interview Questions

• Asked to elaborate on past research experience and why I was interested specifically in the advisory board.   Answer Question