Advisory Board

Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – Did two rounds of interviews. The first was a phone interview with standard questions about my resume and research experience. The second round was in-person in DC; 2 interviews with 2 managers each and a writing test. The interview questions were mostly standard and the case interviews were not difficult; the interviewers were great about helping me walk through them when I had challenges.

Interview Question – Case interview on RCM model at a university.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview and was asked to come in for in-person interviews. I had the interviews and heard nothing from them for a few weeks, despite attempts at making contact. They eventually responded that I hadn't gotten the job but that they'd like to interview me for 2 more teams. Scheduling the interviews was a nightmare and they canceled at the last minute. After interviewing again and a lot of positive feedback, they informed me again that I didn't get the job but that they'd like to interview me for 2 more teams, very different from the Analyst role. At that point, I was quite frustrated and declined to continue with the process since it seemed like a waste of time.

Interview Question – Standard healthcare case questions--you're a hospital executive and need to make a decision of some kind, enter a new market, etc.   Answer Question

Lead Developer Interview

Interviewed at Advisory Board

Interview Details – Initial phone contact by junior HR representative. Representative appeared to be a couple of years out of college, and not informed about specific needs, priorities, or projects of hiring team.
Next contact was a technical screen by a team member.
Next step was an in-person interview, in three groups.

Last two pieces went well.

What didn't go well was:
Interaction with HR was always with an air of inexperience on their side.
HR refused to give any information about any salary range for the position, which makes no sense. In the end, they did give the range, prior to discussing an offer. This range was significantly below market. They also then took a week to discuss raising the offer, and came back with the same basic range, after a week.

Interview Question – None - basic software engineering.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary range was not provided up-front, and after interviewing, a below-market range was provided as the parameters of the offer.

Research Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in August 2013.

Interview Details – 1st round phone interview, on-site interview with 3 staff members, behavioral, writing test, cases. Staff seemed engaged in the process but seemed to place minimal importance on the behavioral interview. cases were fairly easy and open-ended.

Interview Question – If you were the President of your university what would you change?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – Had an inside referral. Questions were relatively difficult and situational, but nothing unexpected.

Interview Question – How do you plan to contribute to improvement in this organization?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was a new grad, so there was not much to negotiate! 30k is what I had to settle with.

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – I had one phone interview which was about half behavioral questions, and half practical questions (what type of research have you done, what methodology did you use, what were the outcomes), and then behavioral questions such as "when is a time you made a mistake, and how did you solve it?". I was interviewing for a different position, and the interviewer asked about other interests of mine, and then suggested another position, which actually sounded more interesting to me. About 3 weeks later, they flew me to DC for the second round interviews, which consisted of a writing test and two case study interviews. The questions were very practical, and the interviewers were very friendly and approachable. There was also a small section of time at the beginning of each interview for a few more behavioral questions, which were more specific to my work-style and process.

Interview Question – How would you go about getting information from an interview subject who was being unhelpful?   View Answer

Senior Director Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – I was recommend by an Senior Employee to interview for a Development position. Called by outside recruiter who set telephone discussion and then numerous face to face meetings.
I had two satellite conference's and 4 face to face meetings.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions, in fact i was disappointed at the elementary and inexperienced senior executives in interacted with. These were very young kids and a short unimpressive Chief Marketing Officer, who clearly had never worker in healthcare outside of this organization. The leadership was uninspiring..   View Answer

Reason for Declining – No challenge and child uninspired leadershio

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

Sales and Marketing Associate
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Advisory Board in August 2013.

Interview Details – 1st interview was over the phone: Talked about the resume mainly. She asked a lot of questions about my experiences and why they would help the company. Strengths, weaknesses etc. Nothing too difficult as it was all talking about yourself. Have questions prepared for them about the company

Interview Question – All standard questions (strengths, weaknesses) Shouldn't be nervous as it is all about you   Answer Question

Director Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview Details – The process consisted of an initial screening interview, a series of in-person interviews with the hiring manager and peers, and a third round of interviews with the hiring manager and a second level manager.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected - lots of good questions about past experience, opinions on strategy, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate a little bit (but not as much as I hoped) on base salary, and negotiated a signing bonus.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Associate Director/Director, Research and Insights Marketing and New Business Development Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in July 2013.

Interview Details – I was referred by a current employee and the company emailed a few weeks later about scheduling an in-office interview (I'm local so it was an easy trip.) The recruiter emphasized that this was merely an informational interview and sent me a copy of a job description that they thought might match my skill-set (the AD marketing position.)

I met with an HR recruiter and the interview was the standard 'go through your resume' exercise with a few questions thrown in about presentation and leadership experience. I think the meeting lasted about 40 minutes and was relatively painless.

Overall, the DC office felt very youthful, energetic and friendly.

Interview Question – What fuels your competitive drive?   View Answer