Advisory Board

Updated Feb 20, 2015

2.8

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

I applied online through the Advisory Board career website. I initially applied for the New Product Development position, but after a call with HR, they thought that I should apply for the Research Analyst role instead.

Phone interview: About 30 minutes. Why Advisory Board? Tell me about a project you did that was innovative?
    On-site: 3 in-person interviews. 2 were case interviews and 1 was a behavioral interview. Also had a 1 page writing-sample.

Interview Questions
    • Case questions were odd, but I went through the consulting interview process so I was pretty. Definitely know how to case   Answer Question

I got another offer at a different firm that appealed to me more.

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Advisory Board in April 2014.

I heard about ABC through a career database, and was able to get an employee referral. About 2 weeks after I submitted my application, I got an email requesting a phone interview. Like what a lot of people have said on here, the questions were pretty straight forward: tell me about your resume (with follow up on specific parts, so make sure you know it well), etc. I was not asked any real behavioral questions during this phone interview.

The interviewer was quite pleasant and didn't seemed scripted at all; in fact, we had a pretty organic conversation. The interview lasted about 30 minutes total. Make sure you know about specific aspects of the company - I think the interviewer was pleasantly surprised when I was able to ask detailed questions about the company at the end.

4 weeks after the phone interview, I was contacted in order to schedule an in-person interview in DC. They arranged my travel and accommodations, with reimbursement for all other costs. I was given an office tour by a current marketing associate, had 2 meetings with 4 chiefs of staff (2 per interview), then had lunch with the same associate that gave me the tour.

The in-person interviews were similar to the first round in that they focused on the resume and any relevant skills you may have for the position. They also place a lot of emphasis on making sure you know what responsibilities the position entails.

I was contacted by phone about 6 days after I left DC with an offer.

Interview Questions
    I will be doing a second round interview in Washington DC.

Dedicated Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Advisory Board in April 2014.

1 phone interview with HR (who did not remember he had previously talked to me when he called me back after my in-person interview), followed by a day of in-person interviews at the DC office. The in-person interviews included 1 with a Manager and 2 with Directors, followed by a 20 minute presentation and Q&A for 2 Directors and 1 VP.

Interview Questions
    • 1. How do you handle uncertainty? Ambiguity?
      2. How do you get doctors, who are extremely busy, to use a health care performance improvement application/product?
      3. What is your biggest weakness? What do you think you need to work on?
      4. How would you help a hospital executive tackle population health in his system? (i.e. what metrics would you look at first? what populations?)

Answer Question
    Tried to negotiate, they did not budge on base salary. But, I was able to combine my relocation and signing bonus into one signing bonus - my move wouldn't be that expensive.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Advisory Board.

Was contacted by HR a couple days after submitting a resume online to schedule a phone interview. HR was very friendly, and conducted the usual interview screening: Tell me about your experiences and how it ties to the position; why you are interested in ADB and the position, etc. Was very prepared and the interview seemed to go over smoothly, however I was emailed later on in the week with a rejection. There were probably more qualified people.

Interview Questions
    • What would you change about your university or post-graduate university?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at Advisory Board.

Interview was straight forward. A lot of the advice on here will come in handy. Interviewer questions mainly about my research experience, interest in health care, and university choice. I was asked about my interest in another department and told my credentials would be passed along to them too. Sent a follow-up email after no response after three weeks and didn't hear back.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board in March 2014.

First round consisted of a 30 minute phone interview. Questions were behavioral in nature and were fairly easy. Second round was at the corporate offices in Washington. Two interviews, both with cads studies. First was about operating a food truck business, second about a franchise opportunity. Also given a 90 minute written case study. After reading a case with a potential hospital merger, analyzed pros and cons of the acquisition.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not health care related which was a little odd given the health care nature of the company.   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Advisory Board in March 2014.

After submitting your resume, you will hear back within 1-2 weeks from someone at ABC. You will get an email that says they would like to schedule a first-round phone interview and you can give them a few available times you can talk; otherwise, I'm assuming they would send you an email saying that they are not going forward in the interview process with you at this point.

This company likes referrals, especially because the person who refers you will get $1,000 if you land the job, so if you know someone who works at ABC, they will probably be happy to submit your resume for you. Also, you can ask them questions about the company and the role you are interested in.

I submitted my resume (was told that they don't really look at cover letters, so you can skip crafting a perfect cover letter for this application!) for an Analyst position but they scheduled an interview for the Marketing Associate position instead. If you don't have a lot of professional experience, they will mainly consider you for the Marketing Associate, Member Support, or Research Associate positions.

I did the first-round phone interview and will hear back in the next week (or two) to see if they want to do a second interview with me, which would be in person, I believe. Interview questions are not too hard! I actually over-prepared and had great answers I wanted to share about various things, from why I chose my major and minor, to a specific issue I wanted to tackle, but I didn't share that information.

Interviewer asked me to "walk through my resume," and I think that was a missed opportunity for me- I briefly mentioned each part of my resume, thinking I would get to touch on things in-depth later. This is your chance to mention things that you think are really important and relevant to the job you are applying for, so share your key points and you'll be good to go! Don't stress about the first-round phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. "Walk me through your resume." Will probably be asked a question about your most recent work experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Advisory Board.

I applied for the position in early December of 2013. I heard back from someone at the Advisory Board in late December, and they set up a phone interview with a recruiter. They asked me very detailed questions about my research experience. Then I had a case interview by phone with a research manager, which was a little difficult for me since I had never done one. After that I completed a 1.5 hour writing test from home, which was fairly easy. The company then flew me down to the DC office for 2 case interviews, both 2:1 with research managers. Everyone was extremely friendly and welcoming, and once I the interviews began I wasn't nervous at all. All of the case questions were research-oriented, not consulting-oriented, which made them much more manageable. Overall I had a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • How to best consolidate student services at a university   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation available, since most RAs have the same experience level

Sales and Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Advisory Board.

I was called about 2 weeks after submitting an application on their website. I received an e-mail to tell me of a time for the call and I had to fill out a set of questions beforehand online. Towards the end of the interview, I was told about how the Sales and Marketing division works and a bit about what the job would entail if I were to get it. I was then told that I would be notified within 3 weeks if I were to move on to the in-person interviews.

Interview Questions
    • If you had one critique to tell your college, what would it be and why?   Answer Question

Analyst, Talent Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Advisory Board in February 2014.

I applied on the company's website to the analyst position in the Research and Insights Department.

I was contacted within a week to set up a time for a phone interview, which happened pretty soon afterwords. First interview was behavioral and reviewing my resume/experiences. Pretty easy. During the interview, the woman told me I sounded like a better fit for the Talent Development department. I was later asked which department I would rather move forward with, and chose Talent Development.

Was contacted within a week to set up second round interviews. I responded with my availability, then reached out again a week later after no response. After a few more days, my interview was set up for about a week later in the DC office.

Before going to the office, I completed a case interview which was emailed to me. Pretty straightforward, standard case. Given 90 minutes to email back response.

In-person interviews were two 1-hour interviews. Both were a combination of reviewing experience and one "case" type question.

Despite the process being pretty lengthy and overly dragged out, I was fairly satisfied with my experience through the final interviews. I was, however, disappointed when I received a generic email from a third-party to inform me I had not received the job. I felt I had developed connections with a few individuals at the organization, and a generic email seemed inconsiderate. Additionally, I emailed my interviewees requesting feedback and advice, and was totally ignored. Feel I really may have dodged a bullet with this company.

Interview Questions
    • An employee has a "Million Dollar Idea" to create a sunscreen pill. He wants to sell this product. What information would you need/advice would you have.   Answer Question